Why become a member? ×

Stingrays - ok, I give up.

Steve Browning

My second bass when touring was a 74 jazz bass. I only ever brought it out when the Stingray needed work and it had no thump in comparison. I love a jazz bass but have a hard time getting them to work....or, to be specific, get them to flap my trousers like a Stingray!

So, Ive owned Stingrays four times in my life (early 90s, twice in the 00s, and 2020/now) and always the same story: Played a lot of slap style on J basses, bought a Ray because I wanted that Ray slap thing, got used to it, wanted that J thing again, sold the Ray, wash, rinse, repeat X 3. This last time in 2020 I bought another Ray, an EB Stingray Special HH. This time, I was switching musical styles (to rock/metal) and even trying a pick after avoiding one for decades. My current Stingray is my first twin pickup Ray and, although Im not doing the pick/rock/metal thing anymore, I really like this bass so Ill keep it. Great recording bass although the second pickup makes slap style not near as friendly as on single pickup Rays

rayhh.jpg

Edited by Rib13Bass

45 minutes ago, Rib13Bass said:

So, Ive owned Stingrays four times in my life (early 90s, twice in the 00s, and 2020/now) and always the same story: Played a lot of slap style on J basses, bought a Ray because I wanted that Ray slap thing, got used to it, wanted that J thing again, sold the Ray, wash, rinse, repeat X 3. This last time in 2020 I bought another Ray, an EB Stingray Special HH. This time, I was switching musical styles (to rock/metal) and even trying a pick after avoiding one for decades. My current Stingray is my first twin pickup Ray and, although Im not doing the pick/rock/metal thing anymore, I really like this bass so Ill keep it. Great recording bass although the second pickup makes slap style not near as friendly as on single pickup Rays

rayhh.jpg

Beautiful 

The extra H comes in handy for Iron Maiden and the like fingerstyle.

• Like 1

On 27/06/2022 at 20:41, Beedster said:

And don’t even ask about the Sonic Hammer 🤔

I've just gotta ask about the Sonic Hammer! I seem to remember talk of such a thing many years ago, maybe even "bassworld" days, & have heard nothing since.

Please enlighten me?

8 hours ago, Horizontalste said:

I've just gotta ask about the Sonic Hammer! I seem to remember talk of such a thing many years ago, maybe even "bassworld" days, & have heard nothing since.

Please enlighten me?

The mid-90's precursor to the Modulus Flea. I was very much into RHCP when I owned it so was playing very bright rounds with the highs bumped also which probably biases my recollection, the comment above referred to playing it live, if a Pre-EB 'ray with flats and a rosewood board is something of a mellow Labrador, the Sonic Hammer was an angry Rottweiler!

I moved it on a bought a Modulus Flea which seemed a pretty similar beast to the point that I should have kept the Hammer and experimented with strings and tone a bit more, especially given I found the Flea to be a wonderful instrument with flats

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Beedster said:

The mid-90's precursor to the Modulus Flea. I was very much into RHCP when I owned it so was playing very bright rounds with the highs bumped also which probably biases my recollection, the comment above referred to playing it live, if a Pre-EB 'ray with flats and a rosewood board is something of a mellow Labrador, the Sonic Hammer was an angry Rottweiler!

I moved it on a bought a Modulus Flea which seemed a pretty similar beast to the point that I should have kept the Hammer and experimented with strings and tone a bit more, especially given I found the Flea to be a wonderful instrument with flats

I really like the Modulus flea, my dream bass.

The pickup position would bother me as so used to jazz basses so would have to get a 5 string :)

8 hours ago, Beedster said:

The Sonic Hammer was basically the Flea Bass.

Flea asked for it with a scratchplate, a sparkly paint job and the Lane Poor pickup (the Sonic Hammer came with a Bartolini MMC), otherwise it's essentially the same instrument. 

image.thumb.png.6d01ea10f6904667ee79e4c8e067ac88.png

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1