Why become a member? ×

Two knob, P-bass preamp.

NancyJohnson

So.  My old Aria just sounds a little dull compared to everything else.  East don't seem to have the P-retro in stock (ever!), so just looking for something to liven things up.

Suggestions?  I'm not worried about inserting a battery box, but if the unit has an internal battery, then all the better.

I've always felt a bit underwhelmed by a single P-pickup, personal thing as I know millions don't have a problem.  The Aria has a Delano in it.

I put fresh strings on it yesterday and it came alive a bit, but it's still woolly and ponky; with the tone fully open it (obviously) lacks the brightness and tonal character of having a second pickup in a bridge position.

Edited by NancyJohnson

Have you looked at the Cap value in the bass? 
Personally I’ve never changed one as I like the the dark flub I get from my 63 (it’s got a .1) 

A 0.047 will brighten it up apparently,

maybe worth exploring. 

2 hours ago, Bunion said:

Have you looked at the Cap value in the bass? 
Personally I’ve never changed one as I like the the dark flub I get from my 63 (it’s got a .1) 

A 0.047 will brighten it up apparently,

maybe worth exploring. 

Really ought to just wire it through the volume into the output socket to be honest; I rarely touch the tone knob once I'm happy and in general happy is when it's fully open.  I think the cap os a 0.047 - orange drop thing.  I bought a couple of spares when I wired the thing up...it might be quicker to find the spares than taking the scratchplate off!

An active pickup with traditional controls might be a simple solution, I had SD Lightnin Rods in my old fretless Warmoth Jazz (wired up as standard V/V/T) and they were basically a kind of J bass but more of it solution, more thud on the neck pickup, more body to the bridge and a bit more lively overall. Like a halfway house between a fully passive bass and one with a preamp.

The P pickup version is the APB-2 and the more modern voiced version is the Pro Active P-bass.

Edited by lemmywinks