Why become a member? ×

Glastonbury 2022

MoonBassAlpha

21 minutes ago, Leonard Smalls said:

Hadn't even noticed they were on!

Shall have a look - they're somewhere between Sonny Sharrock and Girlband, for those that like that sort of thing...

They have added a sax player for most of the set.... not sure if that's a recent thing, but works really well.

51 minutes ago, Nail Soup said:

Really enjoyed Amyl and the Sniffers. Great band - in particular Amy is a great lyricist.

Now there a band who know to drop the "C" word in true Aussie style! It features a lot in Amy's lyrics and between song banter. The bass player pitched in with a few in a heartfelt attack on the US supreme court too.

Real raw energy from her. She's got the rock 'n' roll!

• Like 1

Anyone catch Jess Hayes with her band in the Kashmir stage? I recorded her EP last year, Jess is a mighty fine singer/songwriter in the rock stream of music following her mum and dad's footsteps... who have a band 'Bad Influence' that I work in.

• Like 1

Yesterday, I watched Haim (I like them, but the banter with the crowd was somewhat painful, as was a certain guitar note at the end 😱). I had a look at Wet Leg, OK, but the lyric writing seems lazy (mega repeats or lah, lah, lah). St Vincent is truly eclectic, a Prince/Madonna mashup and all stops in between (monster bass tones from JMJ), not really my thing, or is it (I really don’t know O.o). I watched Snarky Puppy with great interest, fantastic chops from the whole band, but I found it a bit like musical wallpaper, I couldn’t get excited by it.

I’ve come to the conclusion that daytime, open air gigs aren’t my thing, there’s something a bit off about them for me. Much like a movie, I find gigs are best enjoyed indoors, in the dark.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, mybass said:

Anyone catch Jess Hayes with her band in the Kashmir stage? I recorded her EP last year, Jess is a mighty fine singer/songwriter in the rock stream of music following her mum and dad's footsteps... who have a band 'Bad Influence' that I work in.

Val and Richard? I used to see them all the time at The Cartoon and Windsor Castle (especially during the Chris & Harry era) and supported them at The Riga IIRC. Great band, nice gig you have there.

Based on what others have been saying  I've been checking out sets on iPlayer for Wet Leg, First Aid Kit, Kruangbin (sic), Black Midi, Amyl & the Sniffers, Idles, Dry Cleaning, Mitski and a couple of others I've forgotten.  Also watched some more familiar stuff like Primal Scream. Sorry people, it all reminds me of a 6th form battle of the bands but without facial hair.  Not sure who was saying Glastonbury has lost its indie vibe. There were scores of indie bands

• Like 1

On 29/06/2022 at 11:36, ezbass said:

Val and Richard? I used to see them all the time at The Cartoon and Windsor Castle (especially during the Chris & Harry era) and supported them at The Riga IIRC. Great band, nice gig you have there.

Yes Val and Richard and for a while now with me and various drummers.

A slight detour but on the theme of Glast, I've been reading about and seeing recent photos of all the stuff left behind, the usual tents, sleeping bangs, plastic packaging (!!) etc. Not quite in keeping with the supposed spirit of this particular festival, which has been sponsored by Greenpeace for ages and makes  a bit of a mockery of the cheers and applause when Greta Thunberg did her thing.

• Like 2

31 minutes ago, Barking Spiders said:

A slight detour but on the theme of Glast, I've been reading about and seeing recent photos of all the stuff left behind, the usual tents, sleeping bangs, plastic packaging (!!) etc. Not quite in keeping with the supposed spirit of this particular festival, which has been sponsored by Greenpeace for ages and makes  a bit of a mockery of the cheers and applause when Greta Thunberg did her thing.

Absolutely.  It's become a normal thing now, but I remember how shocked I was when someone told me that people just left their tents behind at festivals, like a single-use product.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Nail Soup said:

Absolutely.  It's become a normal thing now, but I remember how shocked I was when someone told me that people just left their tents behind at festivals, like a single-use product.

Unfortunately and most irresponsibly manufacturers and retailers market some tent ranges as single use products. Sure there are some festival goers who are responsible but unfortunately, in the UK many dumbasses seem to be hard wired to not giving a f3ck.

Edited by Barking Spiders
  • Like 1

On 28/06/2022 at 18:20, FinnDave said:

When I went to the free festivals in the 70s, I hitch hiked there from Stockport - small world.

That's when festivals were festivals. None of this Instagram glamping nonsense back then. I remember folks coming back from festivals looking like they had been on the Somme! 

No wonder they have cash machines at Glastonbury nowadays if it costs £6 for a pint of beer or cider and £11.50 for a cheese toastie.(!)  Drugs used to be a problem at festivals, but nowadays festival goers could adopt a cocaine habit  out of  necessity as a way of saving money.  For those prices price I would be expecting Paul McCartney to serve me my food in bed and call me "sir". 

Edited by Misdee
  • Like 1

On 29/06/2022 at 09:24, Nail Soup said:

Really enjoyed Amyl and the Sniffers. Great band - in particular Amy is a great lyricist.

Now there a band who know to drop the "C" word in true Aussie style! It features a lot in Amy's lyrics and between song banter. The bass player pitched in with a few in a heartfelt attack on the US supreme court too.

The U.S Supreme Court is probably reconsidering it's judgment right now.

I watched this lot. All I can say is whatever they have been sniffing, they  have either been sniffing too much of it or not enough.

What I like most about this band is their referencing of the Sharpie subculture (skinheads with mullets- a wonderfully Aussie combination!) of early- mid Seventies Australia. The music fits that era perfectly, too.

Edited by Misdee

Just now, Supernaut said:

How to sound ancient in one sentence. 

I'm as old as I am and I'm not trying to hide it from anyone.

The point is that Glastonbury trades on it's history as a counterculture event despite the reality that it's now a bastion of the establishment. It's the Wimbledon of rock festivals.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Just now, Supernaut said:

Like all major festivals then? 

Yes!

I suppose it's out of necessity though. If festivals were how they used to be all these Instagram kids would be suing the organisers and seeking therapy for the trauma they had experienced. Let's just hope this country doesn't have to go to war again.

13 minutes ago, Misdee said:

Yes!

I suppose it's out of necessity though. If festivals were how they used to be all these Instagram kids would be suing the organisers and seeking therapy for the trauma they had experienced. Let's just hope this country doesn't have to go to war again.

Best call nurse, you've forgotten to take your meds again.

• Haha 2