Why become a member? ×

Glastonbury 2022

MoonBassAlpha

2 hours ago, Lozz196 said:

Agree, without wanting to push this thread off-course this action in The Land of The Free does confuse me somewhat. Great when musicians speak up about matters like this - and I include subjects on which I don`t personally agree as well.

That’s mostly down to the Southern God Botherers bothering their senators concerned with their job security. 

16 minutes ago, Cliff Edge said:

That’s mostly down to the Southern God Botherers bothering their senators concerned with their job security. 

But... but... but... Isn't that how Democracy is supposed to work..? Folk vote for what they want, or that they believe in, and the Majority get what they voted for..? :/

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Dad3353 said:

But... but... but... Isn't that how Democracy is supposed to work..? Folk vote for what they want, or that they believe in, and the Majority get what they voted for..? :/

Unfortunately the majority don't always get what they voted for.

Clinton got 2.8 million more votes than Trump. Fewer people voted for Brexit than didn't vote for it, if you include all the people who didn't vote at all. And Tony Blair got a very low vote count for his third term.

Our FPTP system doesn't give the majority what they want at all.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

6 minutes ago, chris_b said:

Unfortunately the majority don't always get what they voted for.

Clinton got 2.8 million more votes than Trump. Fewer people voted for Brexit than didn't vote for it, if you include all the people who didn't vote at all. And Tony Blair got a very low vote count for his third term.

Our FPTP system doesn't give the majority what they want at all.

Can we get back to complaining about how awful Diana Ross was, please?

• Like 1

I watched a bit of The Pet Shop Boys set. Jo Whiley said they always put on a superb show. My erse! A bang average singer standing still singing along to a machine. What could be more boring?

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Supernaut said:

...or the perfect 'on hold' music for O2 customers!

Have you ever been to a big festival? The last thing you want on a sunny Sunday afternoon when your energy levels have kinda dipped, that hangover-burger hasn't settled right and the khazis all look like the Somme is to be shouted at by some edgy fecker under flashing lights...possibly later on, once it's gone dark and you've come round a bit...

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

2 hours ago, chris_b said:

Fewer people voted for xxxxx than didn't vote for it, if you include all the people who didn't vote at all.

Don't want to derail the thread but, what ever the subject, that old argument is bollocks, and you know it. You can't allocate non-voters to either side of a vote.

Edited by Count Bassy
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, Muzz said:

On that 'experience' thing, I watched the Elbow set and have come to the conclusion that, like them or not, they're the perfect sunny Glasto late afternoon act...

On record they're about as stimulating and invigorating as a cup of Horlicks but in the festival context they work very well. A lot of that is down to Guy Garvey's presence.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, upside downer said:

Can we get back to complaining about how awful Diana Ross was, please?

You know, I watched some of the Diana Ross set, and considering mostly that she just shouts the words to music, I don't think that if you had been there, it would have been that bad at all. I mean I have some gigs that I thorougly enjoyed, and then listened to them on the Telly or youtube and they didn't sound that great, but there, they were fine.

Plus, frankly if you have a totally clear head at a 4 day festival to analyse the quality of singers on a saturday night, what the hell are you doing at a festival?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

To be fair to Diana Ross, she always did have a thin, reedy voice and not just at aged 78.  One of the things me and mrs Spiders bonded over when we first met was our shared intense dislike of 60s/Holland Dozier Holland era Tamla Motown and in particular the abrasive tones and hollow timbre of miss Ross's vocals.  This goes back to when we first met in a pub where someone put a Supremes song on the jukebox and with nothing more than a shared look of horror, we hightailed it out of there.

Well I’ve just started catching up with it all and am looking forward to watching a bunch of the sets mentioned upthread. We saw a bit of Macca last night but didn’t have the stamina for the full two and a half hours. 

Right now I’ve got Burna Boy on, I didn’t know him before and it looks like a lot of fun to be honest. 

• Like 1

Individual performances aside, is it just me who is sick of the " Glastonbury fascism" instigated by the BBC that seems to be getting more total with each event?

The endless hyperbole about how "amazing","historic""incredible" ect the festival is getting to be more than I can bear. "The Greatest Party On Earth" ran the headline on the BBC website yesterday. 

The naked truth is that Glastonbury is a triumph of mediocrity. It's a propaganda event, not, as we are being bullied into believing, a cause for  compulsory celebration. The BBC pay an absolute fortune for the rights to broadcast the festival and they are desperate to justify this questionable expenditure at every opportunity.

Anyhow, I thought the BBC were supposed to be impartial and represent differing perspectives and opinions. But not when it comes to Glastonbury, it seems. The only disparity allowed is  just what degree of life- changing awe and amazement we are experiencing by vicarious participation.

No wonder the Quentin's running the BBC are nervous if this is the best they can come up with to try and stave off their seemingly inevitable emasculation at the hands of Nadine Dorries and her vengeful Tory masters. 

Sadly, Glasto has become bread and circuses for post-post whatever-it-is Britain and it's not likely to lose its totemic stature in any forseeable future. Judging by what I have sat through over the weekend, if this is all that British people have got to look forward to then would it really be so terrible if a hostile foreign power were to subjugate this country once and for all?

The BBC would have been far better occupied commissioning an extended series of Antiques Roadshow and undertaking a brutal purge of everybody associated with Match of The Day.

And yes, Diana Ross was abysmal.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

9 minutes ago, Misdee said:

Individual performances aside, is it just me who is sick of the " Glastonbury fascism" instigated by the BBC that seems to be getting more total with each event?

The endless hyperbole about how "amazing","historic""incredible" ect the festival is getting to be more than I can bear. "The Greatest Party On Earth" ran the headline on the BBC website yesterday. 

The naked truth is that Glastonbury is a triumph of mediocrity. It's a propaganda event, not, as we are being bullied into believing, a cause for  compulsory celebration. The BBC pay an absolute fortune for the rights to broadcast the festival and they are desperate to justify this questionable expenditure at every opportunity.

Anyhow, I thought the BBC were supposed to be impartial and represent differing perspectives and opinions. But not when it comes to Glastonbury, it seems. The only disparity allowed is  just what degree of life- changing awe and amazement we are experiencing by vicarious participation.

No wonder the Quentin's running the BBC are nervous if this is the best they can come up with to try and stave off their seemingly inevitable emasculation at the hands of Nadine Dorries and her vengeful Tory masters. 

Sadly, Glasto has become bread and circuses for post-post whatever-it-is Britain and it's not likely to lose its totemic stature in any forseeable future. Judging by what I have sat through over the weekend, if this is all that British people have got to look forward to then would it really be so terrible if a hostile foreign power were to subjugate this country once and for all?

The BBC would have been far better occupied commissioning an extended series of Antiques Roadshow and undertaking a brutal purge of everybody associated with Match of The Day.

And yes, Diana Ross was abysmal.

So you liked it then?

Si

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

According to my daughter, despite All The Amazing Attractions, music aside, at Glastonbury these days, it’s still pretty poor compared to Burning Man. Which she has so far failed to drag me along to unless she can hire a large RV. I do not do tents, especially not in a bloody desert. 

Edited by Cliff Edge

21 minutes ago, Cliff Edge said:

According to my daughter, despite All The Amazing Attractions, music aside, at Glastonbury these days, it’s still pretty poor compared to Burning Man. Which she has so far failed to drag me along to unless she can hire a large RV. I do not do tents, especially not in a bloody desert. 

Having (apparently) attended a Burning Man festival in the mid-nineties I can categorically state that I remember very, very little about it apart from fleeting images that made me rather concerned that I had fallen out of the sky into either a Mad Max film or a scene from The Wicker Man.

1 hour ago, Frank Blank said:

Having (apparently) attended a Burning Man festival in the mid-nineties I can categorically state that I remember very, very little about it apart from fleeting images that made me rather concerned that I had fallen out of the sky into either a Mad Max film or a scene from The Wicker Man.

I went to Burning Man one year but had the Hog Roast....

• Haha 1