Why become a member? ×

Glastonbury 2022

MoonBassAlpha

2 hours ago, Oddly said:

She's 78, and still performing,

Herbie Hancock is at least that, and seriously kicking it on the bridge/ runway with his keytar!

Best I saw by far...

Snarky good, but just a bit lacking in groove and feel - a bit too studied.

Idles, attitude and bollox. Excellent!

Amyl and the Sniffers - musically a bit duff but completely feckitandeverything. 

Saw lots of other filler, most just wet or annoying or average.

Sir Paul was what I expected - strummalongs of some Beatles songs and Live and Let Die. OK but nowt to even phone home about...

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, stingrayPete1977 said:

Kendrick Lamar, I'm sure it's great if you like watching people perform to a backing track but that's bath and bed for me. Night all. 

Aye. No band, no comment. 

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, Leonard Smalls said:

Herbie Hancock is at least that, and seriously kicking it on the bridge/ runway with his keytar!

Best I saw by far...

Snarky good, but just a bit lacking in groove and feel - a bit too studied.

Idles, attitude and bollox. Excellent!

Amyl and the Sniffers - musically a bit duff but completely feckitandeverything. 

Saw lots of other filler, most just wet or annoying or average.

Sir Paul was what I expected - strummalongs of some Beatles songs and Live and Let Die. OK but nowt to even phone home about...

I confess to being a Snarky fanboi but it did feel like a bit of a 'b' team line up.   No Larnell (though I'm not sure how much he plays with Snarky these days), no Nate Werth on percussion, Mark Lettieri was absent, no Shaun Martin; I was a bit disappointed - not that anyone on stage was lacking talent but those guys add that little extra. 

I thought Herbie Hancock was brilliant.

I enjoyed Macca - my wife is a huge Beatles fan so we sat and watched his performance together into the wee hours of the morning.  Idles were great, I quite enjoyed Squid too.

I saw a lot of positive comments about Khruangbin but I didn't really get them.

My bands lead singer is raving about Wet Leg (saw some of it) and First Aid Kit ...

any other recommendations to go back and watch on iPlayer?

8 minutes ago, chris_b said:

I've recorded Paul McC's set but not listened to it yet. This house has been a Glasto free zone so far.

But off to Ronnies tomorrow to see Jon Cleary. Really looking forwards to that.

Lucky man, I've seen him a couple of times and he's always been excellent

8 hours ago, grumpyguts said:

So.. I'm aware that as an old fart I'm not the target audience of either of the following but... Sigrid and Olivia Rodrigo were both excellent; great tunes and both were backed by bands doing their stuff really well. 

Dunno much about OR but for me Sigrid is the best pop star there's been for aeons. She's made two excellent albums, has the best voice of any current female singer, is a great little mover and has a cracking band behind her. I'm envious of those who saw her set.

3 minutes ago, Supernaut said:

Kendrick amazing as always. 

Good to see someone making a statement regarding the terrible situation in the US right now. 

Happily there’s been a few at Glasto doing it: Oliva Rodrigo, Billie Eilish, Kacey Musgraves. It’s an awful thing, and I’ve ignored no end of armchair critics decrying “millionaires complaining for attention.”

Just been reading the reviews of the headliners from the weekend, in particular Miss Ross and Macca. Both had 4/5 stars although there were mentions of the limitations of age on the voices of both. I winced at some of the Macca stuff, ( must have watched the last 15 minutes of his set) and dipped in and out of DR (which had me more than wincing)! Even the 5 second bits on the news from DR sounded out of tune to me. Am I being too critical or is it because I dabble in music I have a heightened sense of pitch? Everyone at the performances seemed to be having a good time but I guess it was more than about the musical bits..?

• Like 1

9 hours ago, PatrickJ said:

I saw a lot of positive comments about Khruangbin but I didn't really get them

Aye... They just seem bland to me, no real spark, no excitement, nothing particularly musically interesting.

I also felt the same about Sigrid - just little pop songs and an average band. But then I don't really like pop music at all as it's mostly about the singer, rather than the music as a whole. Same goes for Billy Eyelash!

I quite liked Skunk Anansie - great phat bass tone! sean Kuti was good, but nowhere near Fela...

But The Primals were their usual dull selves - they need some serious work live to get that Screamadelica quality... J&M Chain, exactly what I expected - not enormously exciting.

Two I really didn't like were Yungblud (doesn't he just love himself?), and Megan Thee Stallion. Full marks to her for the cozzy, but it was sub-par rap over a tedious backing. I was hoping with the use of "Thee" there'd be the spirit of Billy Childish somewhere; Thee Milkshakes doing rap would be something to see!

So best for me was Herbie Hancock. At 82ish he's got some serious chops - no-one's making excuses for him about being old!

2nd - Idles. Great performance, noisy but interesting.

3rd Amyl and the Sniffers. Great performance, completely crazed. And who doesn't love a poorly executed mullet?

18 minutes ago, Supernaut said:

Kendrick amazing as always. 

Good to see someone making a statement regarding the terrible situation in the US right now. 

Agree, without wanting to push this thread off-course this action in The Land of The Free does confuse me somewhat. Great when musicians speak up about matters like this - and I include subjects on which I don`t personally agree as well.

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, Leonard Smalls said:

I also felt the same about Sigrid - just little pop songs and an average band. But then I don't really like pop music at all as it's mostly about the singer, rather than the music as a whole.

But The Primals were their usual dull selves - they need some serious work live to get that Screamadelica quality... J&M Chain, exactly what I expected - not enormously exciting.

'Just little pop songs' ? What's wrong with pop anyway? 

As for Primal Scream, it it wasn't for Andrew Weatherall's production Screamadelica would've been very run of the mill. I like the JAMC but back in the 80s they were infamous for their short gigs and rather surly stage demeanour, often with their backs to the crowd, probably to avoid being gobbed in the  face. I have their albums but wouldn't ever bother seeing them live.

On 25/06/2022 at 21:31, SteveXFR said:

I saw Supergrass support Foo Fighters at Wembley several years ago. I really like Supergrass, great music and nice blokes but I found them rather boring live. Disappointing as they were by far my favourite 90's indie band.

Supergrass never did anything for me, I mean I asked several times if they would mind taking the bins out,  but no!  Honestly they could write a half decent pop song but th vocals wre like a mezzo soprano buzz saw.

1 minute ago, Barking Spiders said:

'Just little pop songs' ? What's wrong with pop anyway? 

As for Primal Scream, it it wasn't for Andrew Weatherall's production Screamadelica would've been very run of the mill. I like the JAMC but back in the 80s they were infamous for their short gigs and rather surly stage demeanour, often with their backs to the crowd, probably to avoid being gobbed in the  face. I have their albums but wouldn't ever bother seeing them live.

Early JAMC gigs were chaotic and pretty decent. I last saw them at Brixton Academy and they seemed a bit bored an weary of the whole thing by then. I saw some of the Glastonbury set and they seemed underwhelming and dull. Other than Psychocandy  which is still great the BRMC are probably the band the JAMC should have morphed into.

46 minutes ago, yorks5stringer said:

Just been reading the reviews of the headliners from the weekend, in particular Miss Ross and Macca. Both had 4/5 stars although there were mentions of the limitations of age on the voices of both. I winced at some of the Macca stuff, ( must have watched the last 15 minutes of his set) and dipped in and out of DR (which had me more than wincing)! Even the 5 second bits on the news from DR sounded out of tune to me. Am I being too critical or is it because I dabble in music I have a heightened sense of pitch? Everyone at the performances seemed to be having a good time but I guess it was more than about the musical bits..?

As Glastonbury usually sells out before any of the acts are confirmed, then people go just to be there I guess.

All about the ‘experience’ etc.

Must agree with you about Miss Ross. Excruciating for most of the set, yet the crowd and the reviewers don’t 

seem to have been bothered. Superb band and singers didn’t manage to hide her dreadful pitching issues,

such a shame as otherwise would have been great.