Why become a member? ×

Glastonbury 2022

MoonBassAlpha

4 minutes ago, chris_b said:

Having known a couple of BBC sound men, they are some of the best. If the Beeb had a bad sound I would imagine the culprit was feed they were taking from the Glasto desk.

It seems to be fashionable to blame the BBC for everything these days.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, 4000 said:

Er, what? Billie didn’t have any backing singers and certainly wasn’t trying to be sexy. Are we talking about the same person? Do you mean Olivia Rodrigo? 

This is Billie Eilish:

B18384A3-20A4-4DBA-BBC4-870498912673.jpeg

In that case I apologise I was obviously mis informed as to who I was watching. I’ve never seen Billy Eilish and I’m not familiar with her music. My comments apply to whoever it was. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, dirgefornovember said:

Nice Fodera 5 string in Herbie Hancock's band...

Best band of the weekend!

That lovely bass is kind of spoiled though by the muddy mix at the bottom end... Whoever's mixing has gone for that huge rock bottom end where bass drum, floor tom and bass guitar are largely indistinguishable.

Not a BbC engineer - I'm ex beeb sound and we were most certainly not taught to do that! It was all about hearing everything in a balanced fashion.

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, Leonard Smalls said:

Best band of the weekend!

That lovely bass is kind of spoiled though by the muddy mix at the bottom end... Whoever's mixing has gone for that huge rock bottom end where bass drum, floor tom and bass guitar are largely indistinguishable.

Not a BbC engineer - I'm ex beeb sound and we were most certainly not taught to do that! It was all about hearing everything in a balanced fashion.

...bit like their political reporting!

• Like 1

Pleased to report that the vocals are up in the mix today on the telly, just right. The only reason I mentioned it yesterday is because the beebs sound and coverage is usually brilliant. I should have mentioned that before. Still no Sir Paul on playback though. Watching Holly Humberstone at present. 

18 hours ago, theplumber said:

I have a Fender Vintera in Blonde,which is discontinued now. Also had the Seafoam green one like the one in the show.Plus I have the 50's Classic P bass in fiesta red. The Vintera is Dakota red!

Ah right! I see that squire are coming out with a dakota red soon. Is that definitely seafoam that Bridges player had or was it a blue colour?

19 hours ago, Frank Blank said:

Sleaford Mods 

Idles 

Billy No Mates 

...the rest of Glastonbury can do one.

+1 for Sleaford mods (so fookin good) and Idles….jesus I wasn't expecting them to be that…ive been missing out

Edited by Jah Wibble
  • Like 2

Which forum are the Sleaford Mods from (Farming Chat??) 😂😂👍 I’ll collect me coat (PS I quite like ska and stuff, really). 

Last night I watched the Paul McCartney show - I was completely captivated and  blown away by it - quite a moving experience for me and others I’ve spoken to who have grown from teenage to elderly alongside his music since the late 60s - fantastic band - particularly liked Abe Laboriel Jnr’s drumming but singing also. The whole band was great to be fair and even the guesting from Dave Groll and Bruce Forsyth was dealt with v tastefully - including the guitar battle (5 guitarists) in the last number (the wonderful medley from Abbey Road). I could forgive the occasional lapse from sound (vocal volumes not being there for the first phrase sometimes - I presume they were turning off mikes to avoid back line bleed). Macca’s voice was suffering tour rigours a little I thought but these are nit picking - it was effin brilliant and the look of elation on the faces in the audience was equally moving. National treasure or what!!! 

I loved the Ashdown/60s P bass sound which was quite high in the mix at times as well as Macca’s Höfner (also quite audible). It’s good the sound people have recognised that not all band’s bass players just play root 8th notes the whole time and are thus mixed somewhere alongside the kick drum - McCartney (and also noticeable with Noel Gallagher), the bass parts often form a fundamental counter melody/harmony and thus mixing alongside the kick drum either results in that part of the performance being insufficiently audible (thus ruining the whole thing) or the kick drum being miles too loud (similarly ruining it - though at least you might hear the bass part well). 

I dread to think what would happen if some of these sound guys got anywhere near an orchestra!! Whilst recognising they have a majorly difficult job in such a huge outdoor arena. The bass is, of course, one of the most important parts in many types of music (and not sub boom!! It ain’t drum n bass 😀😀😀 unless, of course, it is….😂😂)

Edited by drTStingray
Usual failure to continually police crap computer software correction
  • Like 4

Paul McCartney is the best thing about Glastonbury so far for me. Tight band, Dave Grohl and Bruce Springsteen flying in from the US just to play with him. As others have said, the man’s a National Treasure. What a back catalogue, I mean how does he begin to pick out 30 or so songs to play from that body of work? He’s 80, playing for nearly 3 hours and he loves what he’s doing with energy and enthusiasm. Amazing to see the whole crowd, young and old, singing along to Beatles songs written over 50 years ago. For my money Lennon and McCartney were the greatest songwriters of all time though, by a mile, absolutely timeless.

• Like 4

19 minutes ago, MrSpace said:

Just noticed that Snarky Puppy are about to be on. Should be worth a watch unless you are disinclined towards jazz...

I've been waiting for this all weekend :)

Shame they seemed to have fucked up the broadcast and missed the first 8 minutes or so.

Edited by PatrickJ

Did McCartney play the Frog Chorus? I need to know before I risk watching it. How did one of Britain's greatest musicians come up with that abomination? I know he took a lot of drugs but that's still no excuse. 

Skunk Anansie were excellent and it's made me want a double humbucker Stingray and some talent. Not a set to watch if you don't like politics in music. 

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Leonard Smalls said:

Snarky mix much better for bass than Herbie's was!

Bass still a bit muddy, but not squished into a big lump with the drums.

Shame the Snarkys, while excellent musicians, don't groove like Herbie's band!

I don't want to jump on the bad engineering band wagon too much, but I tried to watch Nubya Garcia as a bit of filler between Herbie and Snarky and ended up giving up on her because the mix came across so badly on my Sony TV :(.

The Snarky mix is actually sounding pretty good; P bass with flats through a Markbass cabinet - muddy is probably the intended tone 🙃

Edited by PatrickJ

Had to step away from the live stream for Snarky Puppy unfortunately (busy with something else), but they were smashing it from what I saw. I'll have to watch it on catch up later. I'm going to check out Herbie Hancock too. 

• Like 1