Why become a member? ×

Glastonbury 2022

MoonBassAlpha

13 hours ago, 4000 said:

Easily my favourite band of the last couple of decades or so. Every time I’ve seen them - including in Halifax, the night before Glastonbury - they’ve been stellar. 

As for the “BC out of touch” thing, I’m 58 and think Billie Eilish is fantastic and utterly smashed it. 😉 Saw her a week ago at the O2 and she smashed it there too. One of the best gigs I’ve seen in over 40 years of gig going. 

If she dropped the rather silly and not very attractive backing singers and just concentrated on singing instead of trying to be sexy I might have paid more attention. But I switched her off when she finally realised she’d forgotten to plug her guitar in. 
All that bumping and grinding on stage is getting rather tiresome and outdated. If you want to watch dancing watch Strictly. 

4 minutes ago, Cliff Edge said:

If she dropped the rather silly and not very attractive backing singers and just concentrated on singing instead of trying to be sexy I might have paid more attention. But I switched her off when she finally realised she’d forgotten to plug her guitar in. 
All that bumping and grinding on stage is getting rather tiresome and outdated. If you want to watch dancing watch Strictly. 

Just to confirm you are taking about Billie Eillish? I must have been watching someone else. Saw the first half of her set and although not my bag thought she was remarkable. Is that her brother with her alongside the drummer? If so hugely talented holding it all together and playing some pretty neat licks at the same time.

Edited by tegs07
  • Like 2

I have seen Robert Plant and Allison Krause live in smaller venues and it’s a really exceptional show. Yesterday the musicianship was amazing but the vocal levels were way too low. You can never rely on the BBC to get live sound right. Apart from a a few minutes of Eilish I have yet to watch anything else. 

3 minutes ago, tegs07 said:

Just to confirm you are taking about Billie Eillish? I must have been watching someone else. Saw the first half of her set and although not my bag thought she was remarkable. Is that her brother with her alongside the drummer? If so hugely talented holding it all together and playing some pretty neat licks at the same time.

Yes. I’m sure she has talent to have got where she is so young. Not my bag either, and I would have probably switched off anyway. But I found the visuals incredibly annoying and added nothing to the performance. Except may be for some pre pubescent kids and dirty old men.  

12 minutes ago, mep said:

I can't see Macca's set on iPlayer. I didn't stay up to watch it all due to the 1 hour delay, which I find odd by the BBC. Hoping to watch the remaining today?

Same here, went to check it out and it ain`t there. No clips on the BBC YT either.

16 minutes ago, mep said:

I can't see Macca's set on iPlayer. I didn't stay up to watch it all due to the 1 hour delay, which I find odd by the BBC. Hoping to watch the remaining today?

Nope not available on catch up yet. Don’t know why, maybe Macca’s people want to approve content? Just a guess, can’t think of any other reason as most other shows are available. 

Edited by oldslapper

Currently watching Krauss and Plant. Fabulous. 

On another note. Why do people insist on bring stupidly high flags to watch a gig? I’d be having lots of “interventions” with flag bearers if I couldn’t see the acts I’ve paid to see. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Cliff Edge said:

Yes. I’m sure she has talent to have got where she is so young. Not my bag either, and I would have probably switched off anyway. But I found the visuals incredibly annoying and added nothing to the performance. Except may be for some pre pubescent kids and dirty old men.  

Fair enough. Visually I thought she was more of a cross between Robert Smith and a Manga comic character. Bearing in mind she is not a dancer and has to occupy a huge stage I thought  it a clever bit of theatre but we all have different opinions.

32 minutes ago, Cliff Edge said:

Bit confused here....on the one hand she has 'not very attractive backing singers' and on the other she's 'trying to be sexy'. Which is it you want in an artiste?

• Like 2

44 minutes ago, Cliff Edge said:

Er, what? Billie didn’t have any backing singers and certainly wasn’t trying to be sexy. Are we talking about the same person? Do you mean Olivia Rodrigo? 

This is Billie Eilish:

B18384A3-20A4-4DBA-BBC4-870498912673.jpeg

Edited by 4000

38 minutes ago, Cliff Edge said:

I have seen Robert Plant and Allison Krause live in smaller venues and it’s a really exceptional show. Yesterday the musicianship was amazing but the vocal levels were way too low. You can never rely on the BBC to get live sound right. Apart from a a few minutes of Eilish I have yet to watch anything else. 

I thought it was me, but when they switched from one lead vocal to the other it was as if the soundie  was caught on the hop with the different levels?

2 hours ago, pete.young said:

I'm surprised that no-one so far seems to have mentioned Gabriels, I really enjoyed their set and thought they were outstanding. Apologies if I've misssed a prior mention.

Yep, probably the best voice at Glasto this weekend, very very good. I also enjoyed Khruangbin, and in a crossover with the Bass Snobbery thread, possibly the cheapest bass at the festival...liked the bassist from Inhaler's sound; yeah, it was a Precision through an SVT (just for a change), but it sounded bob on to me...in contrast, there were a couple of Ricks in the clips I watched, but none that actually sounded like one...

Edited by Muzz
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, Muzz said:

Yep, probably the best voice at Glasto this weekend, very very good. I also enjoyed Khruangbin, and in a crossover with the Bass Snobbery thread, possibly the cheapest bass on stage...liked the bassist from Inhaler's sound; yeah, it was a Precision through an SVT (just for a change), but it sounded bob on to me...in contrast, there were a couple of Ricks in the clips I watched, but none that actually sounded like one...

Bass Snobbery thread, possibly the cheapest bass on stage.

Laura Lee’s main bass is this funky looking SX J-style bass. This guitar has been upgraded with DiMarzio Ultra Jazz pickups, and astoundingly bears the same D’Addario Chrome flatwound strings from the day Lee bought it – over nine years ago. Lee plays with the ashtray cover attached, and stuffs the interior with grey foam ( not black or white foam)!

Edited by yorks5stringer
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, NJE said:

Watched a couple of sets last night and still need to check out some of the headliners.

TLC had a slick band but there was something weird going on with the vocals that was distracting me, maybe a vocal effect or something on the backing track? 

Skunk Anansie are always worth a look, there’s a few songs of theirs I will always love as they drag out memories of being a teenager. Pretty good, wasn’t blown away.

Watched a few other bits I can’t recall but highlight for me so far was Sigrid. Her band were superb, her bass player was great, some nice lines and flicking back and forth between synth and great vocalist on top.

Guitarist held it down nicely and let rip on a couple of occasions in a classy way. I just love Sigrid, she writes some great catchy song, great singer, and huge energy.

I will check some more out today and this evening. Really want to check out Olivia Rodrigo and Jessie Ware.

Yep. I will be checking out Sigrid's back catalogue. Good voice and a good band.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, SteveXFR said:

I'm just out in the garden and watching the helicopters headed to Glastonbury and back roughly one every 10 minutes. For all their claims of being environmentally responsible, that doesn't seem too good for the environment.

Have you tried getting a Prius along the A361 this weekend.......

3 hours ago, SteveXFR said:

Still seems a lot less stress than most of us have to deal with.

Not sure I agree with your statement. Sure, he won't have to deal with thinking about paying the mortgage, but he has an amount of public scrutiny applied to his life that I certainly wouldn't be comfortable with.

• Like 2

Apparently a previously unannounced Jack White performance has been scheduled for when my son's band (Mush) are playing.  They were already up against Elbow.  He reckons they'll be playing to grass.

47 minutes ago, yorks5stringer said:

Have you tried getting a Prius along the A361 this weekend.......

Not a prius, no but once everyone is in the festival, all the roads around the area are pretty quiet. Most of the performers go in and out by road, it's just the VIP's who go from their fancy hotel to the festival by helicopter. 

I went out on my motorbike earlier pretty close to the festival and the roads were quiet. A lot of the roads around the festival are closed to normal traffic.