Why become a member? ×

Glastonbury 2022

MoonBassAlpha

28 minutes ago, casapete said:

Caught a bit of Celeste, in fact just enough to tell me the Jubilee performance wasn’t a one off .....

Alison Krauss and Mr Page were good, with a top band too. Sam Fender left me a bit underwhelmed,

but maybe just me.  Watching Haim now, pretty good. 

Apparently Celeste is being touted as the new Billie Holiday, 🤔🤔🤔🤔

Edited by steantval
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, drTStingray said:

Is there a possibility that the ‘general Basschat collective’ is somewhat removed, demographic wise from the current mainstream music scene, be the genre dance, pop, rock?!! Heaven forbid 😂😂😀

Not me though. I've always had one foot in the mainstream ever since the 80s days of synth pop, New romantics and pop funk with slap bass etc.  As for rock and metal, I don't think there needs to be any at Glastonbury as there are plenty of other festivals offering all that. 

58 minutes ago, steantval said:

Apparently Celeste is being touted as the new Billie Holiday, 🤔🤔🤔🤔

I preferred her work with Daphne. 'You Ugly!'

EDIT-I'm watching her now, she's like Amy Winehouse a semi tone off, I've gone back to OR.

Edited by stingrayPete1977
  • Like 1

9 minutes ago, stingrayPete1977 said:

I'm watching Olivia Rodriguez, never heard of her but there's a crowd full of girls from the age of about 8 years old and up singing along, definitely not 75% middle aged men with neck beards. (I've no idea what a neck beard is either?). 

Me too - having heard her singles on the radio I’m surprised how ‘rock’ it is - quite pleasant though, with some nice guitar playing, whilst I’m waiting for the headline ‘heritage’ act - no doubt the audience will change a bit for him. 

I suppose the middle aged men (and older) with beards are possibly the same as the largely young male beard stroking audience I encountered at ‘prog’ concerts in the early 70s like Yes and Jethro Tull - it’s only when I experienced a Level 42 gig that I realised lots of ladies like them a lot - in fact I was astonished how many middle aged women went to their gigs when I went to one at Eastbourne around 2010!! 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, spongebob said:

Seen a bit so far....bass-wise, nothing really jumping out at me.

Bit like the Isle Of Wight coverage on Sky last weekend, who seemed determined to ape BBC-style Glasto programming.

Bass tones on most of the acts were undefined and just, well, bassy. Most of them you couldn't make much out....from what I've seen of Glasto, seems to be similar.

Lots of Fender P's and Jazzes, odd Ric....not that the sound told you otherwise!

Could the bass tones be muffled because they're mixing it to suit a large, noisy outdoor arena?

Maybe they're having to prioritise being heard over nice tones.

I think the BBC mix sound from a few sources as well rather than just straight off the sound desk.

51 minutes ago, stingrayPete1977 said:

I'm watching Olivia Rodrigo, never heard of her but there's a crowd full of girls from the age of about 8 years old and up singing along, definitely not 75% middle aged men with neck beards. (I've no idea what a neck beard is either?). 

My daughters (8 and 11) love Olivia, so I'm watching her with them. I think she's excellent.

• Like 3

Most of the bands i have seen on the festival broadcast, i have never heard of. I have heard of HAIM only just because of on-line comments about the bass player's expressive face. But she holds it down on the bass so I Will have to find some of their stuff on spotify or youtube.  👍🏾

36 minutes ago, SteveXFR said:

Could the bass tones be muffled because they're mixing it to suit a large, noisy outdoor arena?

Maybe they're having to prioritise being heard over nice tones.

I think the BBC mix sound from a few sources as well rather than just straight off the sound desk.

Don't think so.....previous festival coverage, from various channels,  doesn't sound like now. Same as many newer records, bass is very low end thump. More probably being felt than heard.

Flicked through a few (Bobby Plant and Co I thought were needlessly fey), but Supergrass were pretty damn good, especially in front of a fairly bemused-looking crowd, most of whom appeared slightly distracted, like they were wondering where the nearest non-medieval khazis were, or whether or not they'd left anything valuable in their tent...the bass sounded pretty good, tho I'm not convinced he needed four of them for that one sound. Still, as they say, if you've got em (and roadies to carry em), use em...

The Pyramid Stage is also memorable as one of the last remaining native habitats of the 810 and biiiig valve head...if I ever get to play there, remind me to buy one. And a roadie, obv...

• Like 1

22 hours ago, Bigguy2017 said:

First Aid Kit were good - and she had a nice collection of Mustang basses  😉

Easily my favourite band of the last couple of decades or so. Every time I’ve seen them - including in Halifax, the night before Glastonbury - they’ve been stellar. 

As for the “BC out of touch” thing, I’m 58 and think Billie Eilish is fantastic and utterly smashed it. 😉 Saw her a week ago at the O2 and she smashed it there too. One of the best gigs I’ve seen in over 40 years of gig going. 

Edited by 4000

3 minutes ago, Jah Wibble said:

Anyone got a name for Leon Bridges bass player? Is he just the gig guy or did he play on the records also?

Anyone got a clue of what P bass that was also? 80’s?

thanks

Even wife commented on that bass, I couldn't see it very well as it was messing with my colour blindness. Looked something like a 57 reissue kind of thing.

3 minutes ago, stingrayPete1977 said:

Even wife commented on that bass, I couldn't see it very well as it was messing with my colour blindness. Looked something like a 57 reissue kind of thing.

Yeah im well out of the game, don’t recognise anything anymore. Looked like quite a wide neck so was thinking 50,s but the body colour said elsewise

6 minutes ago, Jah Wibble said:

Ahh right…

believe it or not i,ve just been informed about these today 😂

I have a Fender Vintera in Blonde,which is discontinued now. Also had the Seafoam green one like the one in the show.Plus I have the 50's Classic P bass in fiesta red. The Vintera is Dakota red!

32 minutes ago, Muzz said:

Flicked through a few (Bobby Plant and Co I thought were needlessly fey), but Supergrass were pretty damn good, especially in front of a fairly bemused-looking crowd, most of whom appeared slightly distracted, like they were wondering where the nearest non-medieval khazis were, or whether or not they'd left anything valuable in their tent...the bass sounded pretty good, tho I'm not convinced he needed four of them for that one sound. Still, as they say, if you've got em (and roadies to carry em), use em...

The Pyramid Stage is also memorable as one of the last remaining native habitats of the 810 and biiiig valve head...if I ever get to play there, remind me to buy one. And a roadie, obv...

I saw Supergrass support Foo Fighters at Wembley several years ago. I really like Supergrass, great music and nice blokes but I found them rather boring live. Disappointing as they were by far my favourite 90's indie band.