Why become a member? ×

Glastonbury 2022

MoonBassAlpha

27 minutes ago, stingrayPete1977 said:

Emily Eavis knows that the festival needs to keep moving, middle aged men into heavy rock are a dying breed and not what 20 something girls want to spend their time with. 

75% of the people at Glastonbury are middle aged and middle class. They're the only ones who can afford a ticket. Last time I went (2017),  it was about a grand for a family of four. 

I'm all for keeping it moving but Coldplay headlining four times in twelve years isn't really moving things forward. 

Some of the biggest pyramid stage audiences were for Rolling Stones and Metallica even though Glastonbury isn't a rock festival. 

I have always really enjoyed the festival from mid 90's to 2017 but this year seems to be a one off to me

Edited by SteveXFR

59 minutes ago, stingrayPete1977 said:

What about the video footage of thousands and thousands of people singing along to every song? 

That is something that really puts me off the idea of going to a festival. I want to hear the paid professionals do the singing, not some p155ed up punter.

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

4 minutes ago, Supernaut said:

@SteveXFR - go to Download or Bloodstock if you want heavier bands. Moaning about how Glasto doesn't cater to your neck beard doom needs is laughable. 

To be fair i get his drift. As a 50 plus Dad I should be outraged at the long haired hooligans and their decadent ways like all previous Dads since the days of Mozart. I feel cheated.

Edited by tegs07
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, stingrayPete1977 said:

Emily Eavis knows that the festival needs to keep moving, middle aged men into heavy rock are a dying breed and not what 20 something girls want to spend their time with. 

I'm sort of in between bands at the moment, and it's something I'm trying actively to do (keep moving), because I'd like lots of paid gigs...

• Like 1

2 hours ago, stingrayPete1977 said:

What about the video footage of thousands and thousands of people singing along to every song? 

Exactly! They might as well be listening to a record. 

What's the point in paying to see a band if you're going to sing every song yourself?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Supernaut said:

@SteveXFR - go to Download or Bloodstock if you want heavier bands. Moaning about how Glasto doesn't cater to your neck beard doom needs is laughable. 

You didn't read what u said did you? I've been many times. I enjoy what Glastonbury ìs about and I know its not a metal festival and at no point have I said it should be. Try reading next time simpleton.

• Haha 3

Another chipping in to say I really enjoyed Nick Seymour's bass with Crowded House, despite never really being a fan of the band.  Plus I got to see my kids twice in the audience on the footage!   Rufus Wainwright was pretty good too.

I don't usually sit and watch much Glastonbury coverage on TV but I've been dipping in and out a bit.  I've not had a chance to see much of today's but yesterday I thought Girl in Red were good entertainment and I enjoyed the quirkiness of Wet Leg.    Idles were excellent - all in all they were the highlight for me. 

My kid has AJ Tracey on at the moment.  Given he's playing the Pyramid stage at Glastonbury its disappointing that he's using so much backing track material. 

McCartney did a warm up show at our local yesterday. Apparently an excellent performance from the whole band. 

Tickets were only £25 and people still moaned it was too expensive! I got the email announcing the show on Thursday and fifteen minutes later an email to say it was sold out. Impressive considering ticket sales were in person from the venue only. Apparently Brian Johnson was there in the audience. 

• Like 3

2 hours ago, SteveXFR said:

75% of the people at Glastonbury are middle aged and middle class. They're the only ones who can afford a ticket. 

Judging by the audiences shown for the bands/acts I’ve just mentioned and for Billy Eilish, and also from the dance type stuff, this isn’t true at all - mostly late teens to thirty somethings. In fact I recall when my daughter and her friends went (several times) they were late teens/early 20s - they seem to have spent a lot of their time in the dance tent watching what would now be ‘heritage’ acts and superstar DJs from the 90s/early 2000s.

I saw The Libertines were on yesterday and I thought of them as a ‘heritage’ act - anyone who was 20 when they were famous will be pushing or beyond 40 now. 

I guess tonight’s ‘heritage’ act will draw an older demographic, as well as youngsters. 

1 hour ago, ern500evo said:

Anyone watched TLC’s set?  Is that Jamareo Artis on bass? Pretty sure the guitarist is the guy that played the live lounge with Rag n Bone man, he gets a killer tone from that Kemper! 

I was sorry I missed them - used to love their stuff - must look at the iplayer!! 

• Like 1

Seen a bit so far....bass-wise, nothing really jumping out at me.

Bit like the Isle Of Wight coverage on Sky last weekend, who seemed determined to ape BBC-style Glasto programming.

Bass tones on most of the acts were undefined and just, well, bassy. Most of them you couldn't make much out....from what I've seen of Glasto, seems to be similar.

Lots of Fender P's and Jazzes, odd Ric....not that the sound told you otherwise!

14 minutes ago, drTStingray said:

I initially thought you meant the cricket commentator 😲🥴😀 but then realised he’s been gone a long time. 

I did also hear Dickie Bird was booted out for naked crowd surfing during the frog chorus. 

• Haha 2

Caught a bit of Celeste, in fact just enough to tell me the Jubilee performance wasn’t a one off .....

Alison Krauss and Mr Page were good, with a top band too. Sam Fender left me a bit underwhelmed,

but maybe just me.  Watching Haim now, pretty good.