Why become a member? ×

Glastonbury 2022

MoonBassAlpha

34 minutes ago, Mykesbass said:

Only seen Plant and Krauss so far. Fabulous set, great playing, but thought they would have worked far better on a smaller stage.

I watched one song, but the awful, wishy-washy, outdoor sound had me turning it off. 

7 minutes ago, MrSpace said:

Another recommendation from me for Idles, worth a watch on iPlayer if you like it loud and edgey. I missed Crowded House, I'll try and watch on iPlayer later. Looking forward to McCartney. 

Idles are one of the handful of bands around at the moment that if I were in my 20’s would be seeing live  whenever possible. I haven’t seen any coverage of Khruangbin yet but they would also be on my must see list. In the years I went to Glastonbury the official numbers were less than 70000 (with gatecrashers probably more like 100000) and tickets were less than £40. I can’t see me going these days unless I win some sort of competition that includes helicopter travel and accommodation in an airstream with complimentary chief and sommelier!

• Like 3

9 hours ago, Sibob said:

Pigsx7, Nova Twins, Wargasm, Dub War, Skunk Anansie, Idles, Amyl And The Sniffers, Turnstile, Bob Vylan…..

Just look harder is all 🙂

Si

Most of them are fairly terrible or indie.

Skunk Anansie are pretty good, one of the four bands I would watch but they're fairly average indie. Pigsx7 and Idles were two of the other bands I'd watch.

10 hours ago, Bigguy2017 said:

First Aid Kit were good - and she had a nice collection of Mustang basses  😉

I haven’t watched any of Glastonbury but I would have watched them, I listened to all their stuff when I first heard Fireworks 

3 minutes ago, SteveXFR said:

Most of them are fairly terrible or indie.

Skunk Anansie are pretty good, one of the four bands I would watch but they're fairly average indie. Pigsx7 and Idles were two of the other bands I'd watch.

But that’s not ‘there’s no heavier bands’, that’s just ‘there are some bands I don’t like’.

Si

• Like 1

1 hour ago, tegs07 said:

Idles are one of the handful of bands around at the moment that if I were in my 20’s would be seeing live  whenever possible. I haven’t seen any coverage of Khruangbin yet but they would also be on my must see list. In the years I went to Glastonbury the official numbers were less than 70000 (with gatecrashers probably more like 100000) and tickets were less than £40. I can’t see me going these days unless I win some sort of competition that includes helicopter travel and accommodation in an airstream with complimentary chief and sommelier!

Was chatting with SWMBO about it (as we do every year); she went in 87 (I never did; it was Donington or nowt for me), when it was £21 to get in, and her and her friends parked their van just up the hill from the Pyramid Stage. She's always fancied going back, but I've pointed out that it'd be a very, very different experience, and not just because she wouldn't be 22 and stoned for the entire weekend...

• Haha 3

8 minutes ago, Muzz said:

Was chatting with SWMBO about it (as we do every year); she went in 87 (I never did; it was Donington or nowt for me), when it was £21 to get in, and her and her friends parked their van just up the hill from the Pyramid Stage. She's always fancied going back, but I've pointed out that it'd be a very, very different experience, and not just because she wouldn't be 22 and stoned for the entire weekend...

Yea the second time I went I had a stall in one of the smaller fields. I can’t remember what it cost but it wasn’t particularly expensive. Most of the other vendors around me were small scale selling hippie tat. Fast forward to the mid 90’s and I thought of doing it again and even the less desirable pitches were really expensive and half the high street seemed to be setting up shop. Im sure it’s still an amazing experience but very different to the memories I have.

Edited by tegs07

4 minutes ago, Muzz said:

it was Donington or nowt for me)

Ahh I did hit Glastonbury but the monsters of rock was the one for me too along with some heavy weekends at the Milton Keynes bowl 

48 minutes ago, Sibob said:

But that’s not ‘there’s no heavier bands’, that’s just ‘there are some bands I don’t like’.

Si

It's a lot less than previous years. Whenever I've been, I've always found several bands I wanted to see each day. This year there's four in total. Most people I've spoken to have only found a very small number of bands they'd want to see.

Usually the Left field stage is my favourite for headliners, almost guaranteed punk but not this year.

It's not a music was better in my day thing, a very large proportion of the bands there are from my youth and its the newer bands I enjoy more. 

36 minutes ago, wateroftyne said:

Sam F. played a blinder.

I'm a HUGE Crowded House fan, and they were great, but it always puzzles me why someone with ears like Neil Finn is content to tolerate BVs like that over the years.

'cos their his kids( and grand  kid) doing them?

2 hours ago, stingrayPete1977 said:

We'll there's 200'000+ people that have bought tickets so someone likes it.

They did all buy the tickets with no idea who was playing though. Ticket sales are months before line ups are announced. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, stingrayPete1977 said:

What about the video footage of thousands and thousands of people singing along to every song? 

Drugs. Lots of drugs.

I didn't say no one would enjoy it, I just said I thought it was very bland. Personal opinion and all that junk.

24 minutes ago, stingrayPete1977 said:

What about the video footage of thousands and thousands of people singing along to every song? 

Indeed - the two bands I mentioned back up the thread (Blossoms and Sigrid) had people singing along - but that’s because they've had fairly recent hit singles - I thought they were both very good as well (Blossoms sound quite 80s to me). I watched Sam Fender, was ok (I didn’t overly like it) but again, mass singalong - a bit too indie rock for me and the sound error which had the (very good) sax player sounding like a cazoo for the first couple of minutes was quite bizarre. 

The only performance (I didn’t see many) I saw lacking singalong was Alison Krause/Robert Plant - I only caught the last song - I’m afraid I ended up feeling glad I didn’t have to endure the rest of their set - I really didn’t like it very much at all and the sound seemed a bit odd. I also caught part of the set of a hip hop artist which was ok. 

Is there a possibility that the ‘general Basschat collective’ is somewhat removed, demographic wise from the current mainstream music scene, be the genre dance, pop, rock?!! Heaven forbid 😂😂😀

Edited by drTStingray

2 minutes ago, drTStingray said:

The only performance (I didn’t see many) I saw lacking that was Alison Krause/Robert Plant - I only caught the last song) - I’m afraid I ended up feeling glad I didn’t have to endure the rest of their set - I

😂😂😀

I heard some of the Kraus/Plant set on Radio6. The singing and playing was perfect but that's all I could remember about it. Nothing interesting or exciting. 

I also heard a couple song by Lamb and quite enjoyed that. Quite different and I should imagine perfect for a festival. 

3 minutes ago, stingrayPete1977 said:

Emily Eavis knows that the festival needs to keep moving, middle aged men into heavy rock are a dying breed and not what 20 something girls want to spend their time with. 

This. Plus take a look back through the archives the line up was never that great. Some real gems - the rest a bit meh. From my memories of festival days Reading generally had a better lineup but Glastonbury was still always the better festival in terms of having a great time.

Edited by tegs07
  • Like 1