Why become a member? ×

What Shergold bass is this?

qwert2

My father passed recently and I was looking through his belongings and found this. Does anyone have any info about it? I've heard it's a Shergold Marathon 6 String Bass and it's quite rareIMG_9977.thumb.jpg.343625de857407f91c76cf22453326c2.jpgIMG_9979.thumb.jpg.f3c0a1cbeab0f6425ebf2c99d71c59ff.jpgIMG_9978.thumb.jpg.e80afb9d72e814215111aa71d1522956.jpg

Edited by qwert2
  • Like 1

• qwert2 changed the title to What Shergold bass is this?

This is the Marathon 6 that Eastwood Guitars have recently released a knockoff of:

https://eastwoodguitars.co.uk/collections/hooky-series/products/hooky-bass-6-pro

If they can charge £1300 for what's a mass-produced Chinese or Indonesian copy, I wouldn't want to try and guess what an original 70s Marathon 6 would go for.

8 hours ago, Bassassin said:

This is the Marathon 6 that Eastwood Guitars have recently released a knockoff of:

https://eastwoodguitars.co.uk/collections/hooky-series/products/hooky-bass-6-pro

If they can charge £1300 for what's a mass-produced Chinese or Indonesian copy, I wouldn't want to try and guess what an original 70s Marathon 6 would go for.

Thanks for the information! I don't suppose you or anyone else has a bit more info or advice on how/where to sell something like this? Thanks again

18 hours ago, Bassassin said:

Actually having played an original Shergold Marathon 6 sting bass back in the day and owning one of the Eastwood models I can say that unlike most of what Eastwood produce, this version is very accurate, and Peter Hook appears to agree with me.

That means unfortunately you can also spin the value the other way and ask why you would pay a premium for an old battered bass when you can buy a very accurate brand new version of it for £1300.

21 hours ago, BigRedX said:

Actually having played an original Shergold Marathon 6 sting bass back in the day and owning one of the Eastwood models I can say that unlike most of what Eastwood produce, this version is very accurate, and Peter Hook appears to agree with me.

That means unfortunately you can also spin the value the other way and ask why you would pay a premium for an old battered bass when you can buy a very accurate brand new version of it for £1300.

The original will always be more desirable and valuable than a later asian built copy (licensed or not).

2 hours ago, evan47 said:

The original will always be more desirable and valuable than a later asian built copy (licensed or not).

Here's the thing.

I'm very much the target customer for this bass. I play in a post-punk/goth band with no guitarist and my bass lines are somewhat influenced by those of Mr Hook, plus the Shergold/Eastwood is the only bass VI with a suitably wide neck for me to play comfortably. I currently own an Eastwood and I'm the market for a second instrument (so I have a spare for gigs) to replace the now redundant Squier Bass VI and Burns Barracuda which both have string spacing too narrow for me to put up with any more. So do I buy another Eastwood for £1300 new, or do I buy a worn 40 year old Shergold that from a playing and sound PoV is not really any different and potentially has an inflated price, mostly due to the fact that it is old, and before the Eastwood appeared was a rarity?

On 25/06/2022 at 00:42, Bassassin said:

Mine has a Made In Korea sticker on the back of the headstock.

Firstly, I’m very sorry to hear about your Dad.
Re the bass, a friend of mine asked me to dispose of a black 6 string marathon bass for him about 4 years ago. I posted a thread here asking for advice and took it to a shop where they looked online and recommended £1200 as a sensible price based on what little evidence there was and it was sold.

I received a number of messages of interest subsequently and I am confident a significantly higher price around £2000 might have been achievable.

In the same situation again I would eBay it. I understand it is a very rare instrument, so make sure it gets full exposure to get the best price.

Happy to forward the enquiries to you. Link to my thread from 2018 

Edited by GuyR
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Yes, condolences on the passing of your dad.

I used to have an unlined fretless version of one of these in red. Bought in Musical Exchanges in Birmingham in the early nineties when I lived there. Normally it would be tuned an octave below the tuning of an electric guitar but I tuned mine down to that of a six string bass.  In fact at one point I had it tuned AEADGC - that low A did get a bit floppy.

What I remember of it was the quality of the neck - very solid and stable. Beefy but too outrageous in its dimensions.

Pickup was quite powerful too.

Due to the Hooky connection and because it is fretted, you should get a pretty decent price for it should you wish to sell. Have you considered selling on Basschat to begin with ?

Good luck with sale…….

Reverb is the place if you're not in a hurry - you can put it up at a silly price and see what offers come in.

With rare kit like this someone with funds will come along and buy it, and if they want it badly enough will pay a lot. I'd chuck it up with some good photos, well described at 2.3K and start dropping the price when you have a few watchers. I know that the players in the house will shout that it isn't right, and I'd agree on one level, but there are modern options for the players.

Condolences on your dads passing - not much in life is harder than that.