Why become a member? ×

Some 80 yr old Bassist is playing the Cheese & Grain in Frome tomorrow at 5.00 pm

yorks5stringer

Kanye West is the self proclaimed greatest rock star in the world. He made that claim the same year he walked off stage due to booing and cancelled the rest of the tour. The same year Lemmy, an actual rock god, was touring while actually dying only ending the tour (reluctantly) due to death.

On 24/06/2022 at 17:32, Nail Soup said:

Sounds like the ideal 'front' band for this kind of thing.

Book the night out to a band with no fans, with full promotion and ticket sales etc. Looks just like a normal gig.

Then swap McCartney (or other superstar) in at the last minute. Not too many people disappointed.

I always thought it would be fun to do that sort of thing in village halls if ever in a band big enough to justify it. Just do a big tour of the village halls of the UK and then actually announce each one the day of the gig. 

• Like 1

13 hours ago, SteveXFR said:

Did you see the moaning from people who didn't bother reading the very clear "non transferable, ID required" who bought tickets expecting to sell them for hundreds of pounds only to find they couldn't sell them?

I saw on the local news a rather sad looking mid 20s woman complaining that although she didn't have a ticket, she travelled down from london in case anyone wanted to sell their ticket before realising she couldn't get in. Probably didn't understand why someone was playing outside london!

3 hours ago, SteveXFR said:

The same year Lemmy, an actual rock god, was touring while actually dying only ending the tour (reluctantly) due to death.

Indeed - Killed by Death as he predicted.

26 minutes ago, Woodinblack said:

I saw on the local news a rather sad looking mid 20s woman complaining that although she didn't have a ticket, she travelled down from london in case anyone wanted to sell their ticket before realising she couldn't get in. Probably didn't understand why someone was playing outside london!

Indeed - Killed by Death as he predicted.

You nailed it 'dfl'

41 minutes ago, Woodinblack said:

There was another couple turned up in the bar where my mate works who travelled down from Leicester. They'd been warned on the local Facebook group that tickets were non transferable and decided it was just locals trying to put off outsiders! If only they knew, outsiders are more welcome than locals in Frome these days.

So what does Sir Paul play at a pub gig (or on the main stage at Glastonbury for that matter) these days?

Mostly Beatles songs? Mostly Wings songs? Post Wings songs (are there any good ones?)? Or is it all Rock 'n' Roll classics from the Hamburg days?

Does he play any of his novelty songs? Mary Had A Little Lamb? We All Stand Together? Mull Of Kintyre? Simply Having A Wonderful Christmas Time? Does he do any of The Firemen stuff?

Enquiring minds want to know...

Edited by BigRedX

18 minutes ago, BigRedX said:

So what does Sir Paul play at a pub gig (or on the main stage at Glastonbury for that matter) these days?

Mostly Beatles songs? Mostly Wings songs? Post Wings songs (are there any good ones?)? Or is it all Rock 'n' Roll classics from the Hamburg days?

Does he play any of his novelty songs? Mary Had A Little Lamb? We All Stand Together? Mull Of Kintyre? Simply Having A Wonderful Christmas Time? Does he do any of The Firemen stuff?

Enquiring minds want to know...

https://www.setlist.fm/setlist/paul-mccartney/2022/cheese-and-grain-frome-england-3bb59414.html

2 hours ago, Nail Soup said:

I only caught part of his set. Good stuff for an 80year old even if I’m not a particular Paul fan.

Liked his drummer…. Good on drums, BVs and had good stage presence.

I saw it this morning nd thought the weak point was the 'special guests'. Why, just why?

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Nail Soup said:

I only caught part of his set. Good stuff for an 80year old even if I’m not a particular Paul fan.

Liked his drummer…. Good on drums, BVs and had good stage presence.

That's Abe Laboriel Jr, Son of legendary bassist Abe Laboriel Sr (funnily enough) -  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Abraham_Laboriel

• Thanks 1