Why become a member? ×

New Megadeth single

Graham

1 hour ago, Graham said:

So there's another new track out, Nightcrawlers 

https://open.spotify.com/album/7E23y6lreAy6VWsxTnFx4s?si=IpLKtW75Q0a8upAB0DOw4A&utm_source=copy-link

This one seems like a waste of Ice T, and similarly how Carcass can sound like Jeff Walker reading from a medical text book, this sounds like Mega-Dave just reading from Janes Armaments; the military fetishism is a bit hard going

Yeah he seems to be very settled on his subject material! lol  It's ok, but doesn't really motivate me to part with my hard-earned... 

I had to laugh at the 'Dave Mustaine presents' at the beginning... for those who are unaware of who Dave Mustaine is , and making sure everyone knows who's boss 😆

• 3 weeks later...

I know nothing of Dave Mustaine or Megadeath, so may have this wrong...

Is Mustaine a bit of a creep? I ask because an article just popped up on my news feed:

Mustaine was being interviewed and explained that the song Celebutante was about a "very attractive" girl in a Megadeath T-shirt who didn't know who he was, ignored him (even after telling her, "That's me") and refusing to let him take a photo of her.

Seems his ego was damaged to the point that he's written the song as a way of "Making fun of her" and similar girls he describes as "Over indulged little brats"... charming!

...actually, ignore my question... I already know the answer!

https://guitar.com/news/music-news/dave-mustaine-little-brats-megadeth-t-shirt/

1 hour ago, Doctor J said:

You should look up the old bassist. If you like judging people based on a couple of paragraphs in a magazine article, it'll make your day.

I've judged people on far less🥴

I didn't mean to upset anyone!

In hindsight, maybe I shouldn't have posted in a MD fan thread🤐

• 3 weeks later...
On 14/08/2022 at 11:09, SteveK said:

Is Mustaine a bit of a creep? I ask because an article just popped up on my news feed:

Mustaine was being interviewed and explained that the song Celebutante was about a "very attractive" girl in a Megadeath T-shirt who didn't know who he was, ignored him (even after telling her, "That's me") and refusing to let him take a photo of her.

Seems his ego was damaged to the point that he's written the song as a way of "Making fun of her" and similar girls he describes as "Over indulged little brats"... charming!

I've read many anecdotes suggesting he really is a grade A a-hole, as are his former Metallica bandmates, what with their constant hazing of original bassist Ron McGovney

On 13/08/2022 at 16:44, Doctor J said:

Yeah, the new track is very poor. 

I managed 1.5 listens, which is at least 1.0 more than what I usually manage for acts whose plateau of interest is 30 years past. (Thank you, Andrew Eldritch, for recognising that Vision Thing had efficiently squeezed the tube bone dry, and not obliging me to try to enjoy lame pointless rubbish.)

The impeccably glossy production style of our era does not help my appreciation of music like this. If in doubt, -fi should be lo-, if the passion is to come across.

So Far So Good So What over lunch, I think.

1 hour ago, Barking Spiders said:

I've read many anecdotes suggesting he really is a grade A a-hole, as are his former Metallica bandmates, what with their constant hazing of original bassist Ron McGovney

When reading about this pool of alcoholics and junkies, I find it helpful to picture them sitting in the arcading outside Tesco Metro, arguing in incomprehensible slurs and waiting for the next hit of methadone from the open all hours pharmacy. 

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, Clarky said:

Rave (9/10) review of new album from Blabbermouth, asserting that its their best album since Endgame or Countdown to Extinction

https://blabbermouth.net/reviews/the-sick-the-dying-and-the-dead

I pay no attention to reviews on big sites anymore, they're just advertising pieces with no critical appraisal at all. They try harder not to pi$s off the biz side and encourage the reader to click on their tagged purchase links than offer any real insight into the quality of the music. Rust In Peace and Peace Sells... are 9/10 albums, almost perfect but ever so slightly flawed. Having heard a couple of songs off this one, there is no way it's at that level. They gave Distopia 8.5/10 ffs 😂

You have to scroll a long way down to find anything below 8/10 on Blabbermouth. Utterly meaningless scoring. I'm looking forward to hearing the whole album, all the same, though if it's something which warrants more than one or two listens it will be an achievement, to be honest.

2 hours ago, Clarky said:

Rave (9/10) review of new album from Blabbermouth, asserting that its their best album since Endgame or Countdown to Extinction

https://blabbermouth.net/reviews/the-sick-the-dying-and-the-dead

Pretty much every new rock/metal album by an older metal band is considered to be their 'best' album since their last good album by most of the mainstream rock/metal press. Even St Anger got pretty positive reviews on its initial release. From reading Classic Rock and Metal Hammer and Kerrang for years, I could pretty read the headline for most album reviews by certain 'legacy' acts before I had even heard a single note.

Every new Megadeth album is the best since Countdown to Extinction;

Every new Metallica album sees them 'return to their roots'; and
Every new Def Leppard album is a 'return to form' which is entirely unrelated to the fact that the magazine reviewing the album is also co-sponsoring the tour;

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, Clarky said:

Don't shoot the messenger*

I was just sharing for entertainment/comment

* Which ironically sounds like a Megadeth track title, although they [ie Dave M] would probably remove the "Don't" and replace "shoot" with "nuke"!

The track would also open up with audio of either: 

- the US President ordering some kind of nuclear strike; or

- slightly eastern sounding music to signify some kind of terroristic threat

• Haha 2

On 14/08/2022 at 11:09, SteveK said:

Funnily enough he's never had a reputation (that I've heard) for being a sleaze.

I say 'funnily' because there were all sorts of stories about him being every shade of @rsehole especially in the early days of Metallica and Megadeth, from generally treating people like dirt up to full on violence. 

I say this as someone who was an avid fan from Peace Sells to Countdown.

The man is an indisputable musical genius and one of the best guitarists of any generation, but no one ever accused him of being a nice guy.

Agree about the crap artwork but I think the new album is alright. Have heard worse, put it that way ...

*cough* World Needs a Hero

Some nice nods back to earlier tracks of days gone by without any cookie cutting songwriting. Got a couple of decent tracks on it, although can see why they released We'll Be Back as the album teaser.

FYI the main guy in that video who plays the soldier is the chap who dresses up as Vic on stage everynight on tour.

• Like 2

I've been a Megadeth "appreciator" since discovering Youthanasia aged 13 and working my way through other albums as and when I could scrape the money together. 

The "new" sound of Megadeth from Dystopia and the latest album is not a return to Peace Sells or Rust in Peace. It just isn't. I don't think it's trying to be either. It's more in step with other big metal acts of the moment, it has commercial relevance I guess. It still has Mustaine's voice, lyrics and guitar style but the overall sound is more up to date. I'm ok with that. If I want to listen to Peace Sells I'll put that on. If I want to be disappointed by Megadeth I'll listen to their utterly pointless duet version of A Tout Le Monde with Christina Scabia. 

On the whole I'm not blown away by it, I'm not going to make it my favourite Megadeth album over Youthanasia or Rust in Peace, but I'm glad it exists and hope it does well. 

• Like 2

I finally got round to listening to the full album, and it's fine.

A couple of decent songs, a bit boring in the middle, could do without the military fetishism, but overall pretty inoffensive. I might listen to it again, but it's not particularly likely 

Finally got round to listening to the album in its entirety. Pretty average, We’ll Be Back the best song by a country mile. Weird how it’s buried near the end of the album, sounds like a perfect opener to me. Junkie and Mission to Mars both decent enough but otherwise nothing blew me away. Still, average Megadeth is better than no Megadeth. 

Edited by CookPassBabtridge
  • Like 1