Why become a member? ×

1 x 15's ?

Gripbass

11 minutes ago, Gripbass said:

Hi, Does anyone use two 1 x15's these days?

I have inherited 3 surprisingly light weight Trace Elliott's. I'm thinking of trying them out. I currently use 2 SWR 1 x 12's. Some advice would be great... 

I use two 1x15s and have done for quite a while. It used to be two Ashdown Rootmaster cabs now it's two Ashdown ABM Pro Neo's. In between times I did have a 1x15 and a 2x10 but much preferred the depth of sound from the 15s. I just prefer them to 10s overall. 

What kind of advice are you looking for specifically?  If I were you I'd just blast through them for some rehearsals and gigs and if you don't like them change them. 

• Thanks 1

The only way you'll know if they are any for you is to try them.

A 1 x 15" cab has no specific sound per se. The overall sound of a cab is made up of a number attributes, of which the diameter of the driver cone is one of the least important. If there was a "1 x 15 sound" there would be no need for multiple manufacturers to be trying to selling us their particular version.

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, uk_lefty said:

I use two 1x15s and have done for quite a while. It used to be two Ashdown Rootmaster cabs now it's two Ashdown ABM Pro Neo's. In between times I did have a 1x15 and a 2x10 but much preferred the depth of sound from the 15s. I just prefer them to 10s overall. 

What kind of advice are you looking for specifically?  If I were you I'd just blast through them for some rehearsals and gigs and if you don't like them change them. 

Thanks everyone, of course you're right I need to try them. I guess I was wondering if they might be more powerful (louder) than the SWR's I currently use with an Eden WTX 500. Sounds lovely but struggles to hold its own at loud volume.

Loud has no official definition.

A 1518 is louder than most old single fifteens, benefits from high pass filtering below 60hz.

'Surprisingly' light may be that someone replaced stock speakers with neo?

1513 isn't quite as loud as 1518 for having cut down on girth of cab.

Your amp has to be 2.6ohm stable for you to run 3x 8 ohm cabs. Any three Trace 15's should be HELL loud. Two 1518 is going to be HELL loud. Two 1513 ought to stomp on two SWR 12's and be pretty DAMN loud.

Refer opening statement.

• Thanks 1

23 minutes ago, Downunderwonder said:

Loud has no official definition.

A 1518 is louder than most old single fifteens, benefits from high pass filtering below 60hz.

'Surprisingly' light may be that someone replaced stock speakers with neo?

1513 isn't quite as loud as 1518 for having cut down on girth of cab.

Your amp has to be 2.6ohm stable for you to run 3x 8 ohm cabs. Any three Trace 15's should be HELL loud. Two 1518 is going to be HELL loud. Two 1513 ought to stomp on two SWR 12's and be pretty DAMN loud.

Refer opening statement.

Thanks for your wisdom,

Are those figures on the speakers?

11 minutes ago, Gripbass said:

Thanks for your wisdom,

Are those figures on the speakers?

Iirc mine faded off.

The 1518 is a pretty hefty lift around 40kg 600 high 400 wide and 350 deep.

1513 is same high as the big one is wide, same or similar depth but skinny on width so must be around about 400 high 350 wide and 350 deep.

There's a load of variation over the years. Tolex/ greenish ratfur/ darker ratfur, red stripes/ none, Celestion/ Fane / Celestion For Trace Elliot speakers.

I think they all used the patented fading pen for the details on the input panel.

• Thanks 1