Why become a member? ×

NAD: ABM 600

uk_lefty

It had to happen sooner or later. I do love my Rootmaster but in my constant quest to upgrade gear I was looking for ABMs. I found all kinds of 500s at amazing second hand prices, and 600s at fair second hand prices. Then I found Omega music in Belgium via Reverb. Even after paying VAT I got a great deal on this brand new ABM 600. 

I've not had long with it but my experience of ABMs was always in rehearsal rooms. My impression was "great for a passive P bass, not so good for active basses". But that's from not bothering myself tinkering too much with them. I've read up loads, unpacked this and pligged in my Stingray. It is very, very good for active basses, no concerns there!

The Rootmaster got me used to certain features that I now want from any amp, which restricted me to only really upgrading to an ABM, most other brands won't do. But this gives me real valves to drive in the preamp which is so much nicer than the emulated sounds out of my Helix. 

This amp will be gigged on Saturday, outdoors, driving two ABM Pro Neo 15s. It might get loud and hairy.

Second image compares the size to my RM500.

IMG20220623120041.jpg

IMG-20220623-WA0010.jpeg

• Like 5

Great Amp / Rig 

They have a lot of EQ variation and play nicely with most styles 

At home the Shape OUT sounds lovely but can get a bit lost in a band mix unless you boost the main mid control 

I found Shape IN ( off ) was the best live sound and sounded great with my ABM210H ported cabs 

Another good tip … 

The input gain level is heavily influenced by the EQ settings, the Drive settings etc 

My Ray 34 still uses the non active input and I adjust the input level down a bit compared to my PBass 

The ABM600 sounds it’s best when played loud and has a weight to the sound that you don’t get with the RM series,  a true gigging loving amp 

Roqsolid do a nice amp cover if looking 

Enjoy 

1 hour ago, BassAdder27 said:

The input gain level is heavily influenced by the EQ settings, the Drive settings etc 

I noticed that straight away, I thought the VU wasn't working until I cranked a few other dials. 

My Ray 34 still uses the non active input and I adjust the input level down a bit compared to my PBass 

Good tip, thank you!

The ABM600 sounds it’s best when played loud and has a weight to the sound that you don’t get with the RM series,  a true gigging loving amp 

This is what I wanted it for 😎

3 hours ago, Lozz196 said:

Congrats, I’m sure you’ll love it once played “in anger”. They sound good no matter what, but as above when played loud the depth to them is evident, and very pleasing.

I'm gigging outdoor in Leighton Buzzard on Saturday night so if you're at home you might hear it!

• Haha 1