Why become a member? ×

Squier not Squire

Bay Splayer

On 23/06/2022 at 11:30, Doctor J said:

Ahhh lads, it's not really yours until you've stripped it, removed to crustier biocrud, disinfected and reassembled it. It's part of the ritual these days 😂

There's nothing more satisfying than discovering a nice bass guitar under a few inches of solidified goo. 

• Like 2

On 23/06/2022 at 11:06, Daz39 said:

Yes! Even if you hadn’t picked it up in months, disliked it and just wanted rid of it; a 10 minute clean and check of screws and tuners and so forth to make sure it’s not a total state is the least you can do.

I'm quite happy if an instrument I go to look at is in a bit of a state. It gives me a lever to negotiate the price down (assuming I want it). A quick strip and clean isn't difficult to do.

When I bought my '72 Jazz some years ago, it appeared that the fingerboard was worn. The instrument was very grubby and there were what appeared to be small, oval indentations in the fingerboard between the most used frets. I pointed them out to the seller, said I would probably need to get the board levelled and suggested we agree a price to allow for that. He agreed.

I got it home, removed the strings and got to work with the meths and 0000 wire wool. It turned out the board was covered in years worth of crud/dead skin and that the indentations were in that. The wood beneath was fine. Result.

Edited by Dan Dare
  • Like 1

Spelling mistakes are a great way to get hold of a bargain on the likes of Facebook Marketplace, search for Epiphany and you will find loads of Epiphone guitars.

I once saw a cracking little Tanglewood bass where the seller couldn't make out what the logo said and advertised it as Canglewood.

• Haha 1

54 minutes ago, Sardonicus said:

Spelling mistakes are a great way to get hold of a bargain on the likes of Facebook Marketplace, search for Epiphany and you will find loads of Epiphone guitars.

I once saw a cracking little Tanglewood bass where the seller couldn't make out what the logo said and advertised it as Canglewood.

Yeah......Tanglewood and Canglewood is a much more bigger mistake !:)