Why become a member? ×

Squier not Squire

Bay Splayer

Nope doesn't bother me at all, my pet hate though is when you buy an instrument from someone and it is filthy, has happened a couple of times and nothing quite takes the shine off that new bass feeling like having to clean and disinfect an instrument before you can play it, also makes you wonder if the person selling it has any self respect or pride.

Edited by shoulderpet
  • Like 1

9 minutes ago, shoulderpet said:

Nope doesn't bother me at all, my pet hate though is when you buy an instrument from someone and it is filthy, has happened a couple of times and nothing quite takes the shine off that new bass feeling like having to clean and disinfect an instrument before you can play it, also makes you wonder if the person selling it has any self respect or pride.

Yes! Even if you hadn’t picked it up in months, disliked it and just wanted rid of it; a 10 minute clean and check of screws and tuners and so forth to make sure it’s not a total state is the least you can do.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, musicbassman said:

I guess some people assume that 'Squier' was just a dodgy misspelling that has somehow become stuck.

In actual fact, 'Squier' is the correct name of a very long established Japanese musical instrument company.

I understand that they used to make violins, back in the day.

I thought Fender's use of the name came from V. C. Squier, an American string manufacturer who were bought out by Fender in the 60s.

• Like 4

30 minutes ago, Beer of the Bass said:

I thought Fender's use of the name came from V. C. Squier, an American string manufacturer who were bought out by Fender in the 60s.

Yes - you're right - Squier violins were indeed American, not Japanese. Just looked this up.

I'd read somewhere ages ago that Squier were a Japanese company. It was on the internet so it must surely have been true........ :/

Back in the good old days when people lacked the ability to spell things properly, didn't know better but still wondered why their precious eBay sale wasn't even getting watchers, there used to be a website called chubbyfingers.com (or something) that allowed you to type in a search term (ie Squier) and the site would go off and search for near misses on eBay (returning Squire, Sqiure, Square etc.).  I can remember typing in 'Gibson' and the site returning a number of goofy spellings where someone's chubby finger had simply picked up spurious characters during the creation of the advert.

I'm a huge fan of several authors and regularly picked up ARCs, proofs and first editions where sellers hadn't even bothered to spell the author's name correctly.

• Like 2

Speaking of filthy guitars, I played in a band with a guy that was a serious pothead. He had this strat, filthy as only a pothead’s stuff tends to be. I offered to clean it up, and while doing so, checked the serial number…it was a 57. We fired him soon after, and never saw him or the guitar again.

As far as misspellings, I don’t care so much, but glad to know the story behind the Squier name.

4 hours ago, Bay Splayer said:

P.S. Does anyone want to buy my Rackenbicker? 🙂

It's disturbing how many Americans spell it 'Rickenbocker'. Which is, inexplicably, how they say it.

I've seen Ebay ads for both 'Squizz' and 'Squirt' Precisions, so I think I've pretty much got to give a pass for a bit of harmless transposing!