Why become a member? ×

Any experience with the Headway "The Band" Pickup?

Bassfingers

Just wondered if anyone has used the Headway "The Band" pickup. 

I have a ply Double Bass which I'm looking to amplify for small venue gigs. No adjustable bridge, so I'm shying away from the Full Circle at this point. It would be good to hear how others have got on with the Band and whether they felt the need for a preamp with this particular pickup. 

:)

I'll be interested in the answer to this question as well. My concerns around the band centre on the fact I don't think I've ever seen anyone using one, but that might just be luck.....

Re pre-amp, that will depend to a degree on what amp you're using but I've yet to find a DB PUP that didn't sound better with a preamp, even those that reportedly don't need one 👍

• Thanks 1

36 minutes ago, keeponehandloose said:

The Band was pretty useless in my experience. Output gain was abysmal to the pount where I thought the pickup was broken...it wasnt. The only sounds it picked up was my body movement against the bass.

Thanks - that is really useful to hear - before I shell out £200+ 🙃

Appreciate the response 

• 3 weeks later...

I tried one... Complete disaster! 

Avoid! (IMO) 

If you want the best, fit a Yamahiko pickup. They've been around for +25yrs,completely bomb proof, superior tone, great arco sound and if you buy the one sensor version its only just a little more expensive than the Realist and Full Circle (that is based on the much better yamahiko) 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Bloopdad1 said:

If you want the best, fit a Yamahiko pickup. They've been around for +25yrs,completely bomb proof, superior tone, great arco sound and if you buy the one sensor version its only just a little more expensive than the Realist and Full Circle (that is based on the much better yamahiko) 

I did have a look at these - they sound great but I couldn't find a UK supplier. Have to admit I didn't look particularly hard. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, tinyd said:

I have a Realist copper which is the best of the various piezo pickups I've tried. Not perfect, but with careful EQ it can sound pretty natural at high volumes and doesn't require an adjustable bridge.

I ended up going with a K&K Bass Max  - had to file and shim the bridge for a good fit but the results are pretty good. Sounds a little too percussive at times - I'm going to try the Realist Copper at some point. 

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Bassfingers said:

I ended up going with a K&K Bass Max  - had to file and shim the bridge for a good fit but the results are pretty good. Sounds a little too percussive at times - I'm going to try the Realist Copper at some point. 

Bass Max isn't bad but on my bass it sounded a bit too "nasal" (which is common for all piezo pickups). The J-Tone pickups are good as well, and cheap.

The search for the best pickup is neverending, I think it's more a case of finding something that's usable in a gig situation and that isn't too fussy in terms of setup and EQ.

Anyway, happy hunting!

On 22/07/2022 at 19:33, Bloopdad1 said:

I tried one... Complete disaster! 

Avoid! (IMO) 

I would second this wholeheartedly. The Full Circle sounds good, but that fixed wire coming out of the adjuster is very vulnerable. The Yamahiko has a screw-in removable wire and outputs on each of the knurls on the adjuster wheel. You adjust the height, then screw in the cable at the appropriate output socket. The unused sockets all have covers on them. It's a superb design that's beautifully thought through. If playing acoustically or into a microphone, my preference is to have no electronics showing on the instrument. The cable can be removed and the pickup just looks like a height adjuster. On a mic only gig, there's no problem fending off over-keen sound engineers who'd like to take a feed off the pick-up, "just in case the mic isn't enough". 

The bicycle inner tube pick-up mentioned was next to useless on any of my basses, so I returned it.

This is an aside, but a colleague insists on using the violin version, which although more successful than the bass version, is still pretty ropey-sounding to my ears. Kind of 'boxy' with an overly pronounced treble range. Feedback resistance seems poor as well. A preamp definitely helps, but a DPA mic takes longer to feedback and has a vastly superior sound (of course the source has to be good in the first place). Violins are super easy to amplify compared to double basses, so I see no excuse for using one of these horrible looking things. 

• Like 2

• 4 weeks later...
On 06/08/2022 at 12:54, Lodekka said:

I would second this wholeheartedly. The Full Circle sounds good, but that fixed wire coming out of the adjuster is very vulnerable. The Yamahiko has a screw-in removable wire and outputs on each of the knurls on the adjuster wheel. You adjust the height, then screw in the cable at the appropriate output socket. The unused sockets all have covers on them. It's a superb design that's beautifully thought through. If playing acoustically or into a microphone, my preference is to have no electronics showing on the instrument. The cable can be removed and the pickup just looks like a height adjuster. On a mic only gig, there's no problem fending off over-keen sound engineers who'd like to take a feed off the pick-up, "just in case the mic isn't enough". 

The bicycle inner tube pick-up mentioned was next to useless on any of my basses, so I returned it.

This is an aside, but a colleague insists on using the violin version, which although more successful than the bass version, is still pretty ropey-sounding to my ears. Kind of 'boxy' with an overly pronounced treble range. Feedback resistance seems poor as well. A preamp definitely helps, but a DPA mic takes longer to feedback and has a vastly superior sound (of course the source has to be good in the first place). Violins are super easy to amplify compared to double basses, so I see no excuse for using one of these horrible looking things. 

Does anyone sell the Yamahiko here in the UK, or does it need to be bought from their website direct? (And as a follow-up - if anyone bought direct, what did the import taxes etc cost?)

• 2 weeks later...