Why become a member? ×

Mooer Prime P1

stewblack

8 hours ago, Woodinblack said:

Certainly interested on your feedback on it - not sure it is something I could use live, but for practices and the like it seems like it could be good.

Great tool for silent practice. Headphone socket, plus it receives Bluetooth from your phone, has a metronome, drum machine and looper. And of course all those effects, and amp and cab sims. Apparently if your phone or tablet does OTG (whatever the heck that is) you can record directly from it too.

And no power cables.

15 minutes ago, krispn said:

On the go? 

Yep. Phones normally use their usb to connect to a computer. On The Go means it can switch to effectively be the computer, so you can attach other devices to the phone's USB (for example a memory key to store files on). 

2 hours ago, stewblack said:

Great tool for silent practice. Headphone socket, plus it receives Bluetooth from your phone, has a metronome, drum machine and looper. And of course all those effects, and amp and cab sims.

Interesting - I use a spark for silent practice, but that would be smaller. The problem is remembering to charge it so that when I pick it up it isn't dead!

Just gigged with the P1.

The sounds I used were excellent, the batteries lasted in both the effects unit and the wireless switcher. It was a 3 hour gig without a break so battery life is clearly not a problem.

Downside? The switcher isn't instant, a fraction of a delay between switches. I got used to it very quickly and with a bit of anticipation it wasn't a problem. For someone else it might be a deal breaker.

Also if you're a bit clumsy you can easily activate the drum machine by mistake. If like me you haven't worked out how to do this and more importantly how to switch it off again, this can cause some embarrassment.

• Haha 2

• 2 weeks later...
On 05/07/2022 at 23:13, stewblack said:

The effects I have tried sound good, except the pitch shift which is horrible. The wireless foot pedal I bought to compliment it is great, the app super simple to use and that's all I can say so far. 

What’s the issue with the pitch shift effect? This is one of the main reasons I’m thinking about getting one of these. Does is track down to open E okay? does it warble? If it can simulate BEAD tuning for practice purposes I’d be happy. 

I use a helix LT as my live rig and I have a Nux mighty plug for silent practice (I also have a Blackstar Core ID Beam practice amp with limited effects and a couple of bass amp models). The little nux is great, but limited due to its processing power. 

I’ve had my eye on the Mooer P1 for a couple of months as it’s the first tiny practice device I’ve seen that has all the features I want/need to more or less replicate my helix such as crossover split, hpf/lpf and pitch shifting to emulate different tunings. It really does seem like a pocket helix!

It could also serve as a backup in case the helix fails, and a usb interface for the computer. Indeed, I’ve recently sold a valeton dapper bass and iRig HD2 that I had for these purposes but wasn’t getting used (and for temporary financial wossnames that I won’t go into - anyway, one of my guitarists brings an hx stomp to each gig loaded with patches for all of us and the computer interface isn’t important at this time). But, a single device that could replace three devices is very tempting. 

1 hour ago, Greg Edwards69 said:

What’s the issue with the pitch shift effect? This is one of the main reasons I’m thinking about getting one of these. Does is track down to open E okay? does it warble? If it can simulate BEAD tuning for practice purposes I’d be happy. 

I use a helix LT as my live rig and I have a Nux mighty plug for silent practice (I also have a Blackstar Core ID Beam practice amp with limited effects and a couple of bass amp models). The little nux is great, but limited due to its processing power. 

I’ve had my eye on the Mooer P1 for a couple of months as it’s the first tiny practice device I’ve seen that has all the features I want/need to more or less replicate my helix such as crossover split, hpf/lpf and pitch shifting to emulate different tunings. It really does seem like a pocket helix!

It could also serve as a backup in case the helix fails, and a usb interface for the computer. Indeed, I’ve recently sold a valeton dapper bass and iRig HD2 that I had for these purposes but wasn’t getting used (and for temporary financial wossnames that I won’t go into - anyway, one of my guitarists brings an hx stomp to each gig loaded with patches for all of us and the computer interface isn’t important at this time). But, a single device that could replace three devices is very tempting. 

Hi Greg. Put very simply the pitch shift alters the sound and puts it out of tune.

It literally doesn't work. I'll record an example for you if you like. It's an area Mooer struggles with, I have a pitch shift pedal of theirs which similarly can't do it.

Everything else is great. Seriously, the drive sounds are to die for. I found an always on dirt sound which gives that little bit of grit needed to cut through in the mix with no tone sacrifice.

There is a fraction of a delay with the pedal. A deal-breaker for many I suspect, but not enough to bother me. 

• 1 month later...
1 hour ago, glenavydrongo said:

Didn’t, no. It must have updated automatically. Sorry I can’t be of more help. 

D

No that's actually very helpful. At least I know 1.0.4 is a real thing, and that it works.

I've had a response from Mooer so I'm hopeful I'll achieve a resolution.

On 17/07/2022 at 12:10, stewblack said:

Hi Greg. Put very simply the pitch shift alters the sound and puts it out of tune.

It literally doesn't work. I'll record an example for you if you like. It's an area Mooer struggles with, I have a pitch shift pedal of theirs which similarly can't do it.

Everything else is great. Seriously, the drive sounds are to die for. I found an always on dirt sound which gives that little bit of grit needed to cut through in the mix with no tone sacrifice.

There is a fraction of a delay with the pedal. A deal-breaker for many I suspect, but not enough to bother me. 

Would you mind recording an example of the pitch shift effect, if you have the time?  An example of simulating BEAD tuning with a typical EADG tuned 4 string P or J bass would be helpful. It may be acceptable enough to me for practice at home, even if it's not gig worthy.  The only device I have with a pitch shifter (not counting a laptop with software simulations) is my Helix, that to be frank, it a PITA to drag out for spontaneous practice.

1 minute ago, Greg Edwards69 said:

Would you mind recording an example of the pitch shift effect, if you have the time?  An example of simulating BEAD tuning with a typical EADG tuned 4 string P or J bass would be helpful. It may be acceptable enough to me for practice at home, even if it's not gig worthy.  The only device I have with a pitch shifter (not counting a laptop with software simulations) is my Helix, that to be frank, it a PITA to drag out for spontaneous practice.

I'll get to it. But you won't like it...

48 minutes ago, Greg Edwards69 said:

Perhaps I'm not as discerning as I thought I was. That wasn't as terrible as I expected.

I suspect my problem is that I like to blend a little of the shifted octave or fifth with the clean sound.

You're right - on its own it's not too bad (just not very clean, a bit wobbly) but when blended with the clean signal it's off pitch so the effect is like a bad chorus.

2 hours ago, stewblack said:

I suspect my problem is that I like to blend a little of the shifted octave or fifth with the clean sound.

You're right - on its own it's not too bad (just not very clean, a bit wobbly) but when blended with the clean signal it's off pitch so the effect is like a bad chorus.

Gotcha.  Seems like the shifting is a few cents off.  Can this be compensated for in the app, or is the shifting chromatic only?