Why become a member? ×

Mooer Prime P1

stewblack

12 hours ago, Pea Turgh said:

Wow.  Good vid, great interface.  Wonder how sturdy it is.

Completely agree. Great vid. And less than £130 !   I would buy it in a heartbeat except ......... the little USB charging port. Thats going to have a limited lifespan in the context of moving it around, using it at gigs etc. Really puts me off, I know I would break it within a year. I'm just not careful enough with pedals etc.

For just using it at home, or for any usage where it doesn't get plugged/unplugged all the time, or get moved around constantly, it looks like an amazing unit.

1 hour ago, hamfist said:

Completely agree. Great vid. And less than £130 !   I would buy it in a heartbeat except ......... the little USB charging port. Thats going to have a limited lifespan in the context of moving it around, using it at gigs etc. Really puts me off, I know I would break it within a year. I'm just not careful enough with pedals etc.

For just using it at home, or for any usage where it doesn't get plugged/unplugged all the time, or get moved around constantly, it looks like an amazing unit.

I know what you mean. I break things by looking at them. But charging it could be done at home, carefully, maybe?

1 hour ago, stewblack said:

I know what you mean. I break things by looking at them. But charging it could be done at home, carefully, maybe?

I wouldn't feel secure relying on just the battery at a gig though. It only claims 4.5 hrs life, and its bound to be less than that in use. A grand little box overall though. Maybe they will make a slightly sturdier and perhaps more functional (maybe preset up and down pedals ?) one for live use, for a little more dosh. Of course that starts to put it into the price band of other such multi pedals.

It seems to have found its own little niche right now though.

12 hours ago, hamfist said:

I wouldn't feel secure relying on just the battery at a gig though. It only claims 4.5 hrs life, and its bound to be less than that in use. A grand little box overall though. Maybe they will make a slightly sturdier and perhaps more functional (maybe preset up and down pedals ?) one for live use, for a little more dosh. Of course that starts to put it into the price band of other such multi pedals.

It seems to have found its own little niche right now though.

I've ordered mine with the wireless pedal they produce for it. I'll let you know.

In case you think I'm being a bit po faced in response to Jack's good natured humour, please allow me to expand.

I recently nearly broke my neck and an expensive instrument slipping over on a cable. They provide wonderful trip hazards and as such their elimination is one less disaster waiting to happen. I'm still in considerable pain nearly a month later.

Petrol being £1523.50 a half litre, any reduction in the weight my car carries saves me serious cash. Also saves my back.

Mains powered, pricey effects boards at the front of the stage (pub floor) are vulnerable to punter's/singer's feet and beer.

The amount of things that can go wrong on a conventional board with multiple patch cables and power cables and pedals is huge.

I don't need to bend over to tweak effects if they're on my phone, clamped to my stand. Saves my ancient back and doesn't strain my crappy eyesight.

Anyway all this is moot until I get it - it might be a piece of S H one tea, we'll see.

• Like 4
  • Haha 2

16 minutes ago, stewblack said:

In case you think I'm being a bit po faced in response to Jack's good natured humour, please allow me to expand.

I recently nearly broke my neck and an expensive instrument slipping over on a cable. They provide wonderful trip hazards and as such their elimination is one less disaster waiting to happen. I'm still in considerable pain nearly a month later.

Petrol being £1523.50 a half litre, any reduction in the weight my car carries saves me serious cash. Also saves my back.

Mains powered, pricey effects boards at the front of the stage (pub floor) are vulnerable to punter's/singer's feet and beer.

The amount of things that can go wrong on a conventional board with multiple patch cables and power cables and pedals is huge.

I don't need to bend over to tweak effects if they're on my phone, clamped to my stand. Saves my ancient back and doesn't strain my crappy eyesight.

Anyway all this is moot until I get it - it might be a piece of S H one tea, we'll see.

Sound reasoning and a great angle to use if they ever advertise the unit 🙂 be sure and get a cut of the sales revenue!

48 minutes ago, krispn said:

Sound reasoning and a great angle to use if they ever advertise the unit 🙂 be sure and get a cut of the sales revenue!

Ha ha, I'm not sure the honourable marketing department of Mooer Inc sees the orthopaedic benefits to middle aged men as a major sales pitch

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, krispn said:

We’re the only folk left with just about enough cash to ‘afford’ gear!

Good point. I'm not really in the category though. Since becoming persona non grata in my marriage I have been polluting my mother's house under the guise of supporting her in her dotage.

Any little bit I earn I spend on gear.

One day coming I will list it all in a massive fire sale and strike out as a hobo.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, stewblack said:

One day coming I will list it all in a massive fire sale and strike out as a hobo.

You could probably afford to move in next to Elon Musk if you flogged all your effect gizmos. 

• Haha 1

Sorry I didn't get back to you, I've been having way too much fun with this little box of tricks.

It's tiny, comes with a nice little protective case, lots of warnings not to be too rough with it which raised a bit of a flag. However, it comes with a four year warranty which is not to be sniffed at and really, once you connect the app on your phone,you don't need to touch the device itself.

The effects I have tried sound good, except the pitch shift which is horrible. The wireless foot pedal I bought to compliment it is great, the app super simple to use and that's all I can say so far. 

• Like 1

Joking aside, that does look (and sounds) great. Nice bass riff on the demo, too. I'm always slightly wary of gizmos that pack loads of features into a dinky little box, but early signs are good it seems. I'm not in the market for this type of device, but I know a lot of people are and the price point is, er, on point. Whatever will they think of next?

The problem with multi effects is similar to locking a fat kid in a sweet shop. At least it is with me. 

Wow! I have a thousand effects - I must use them all AT THE SAME TIME!!

And just like the kid sat in his puddle of puke, the end result is never savoury. 

So, rather than setting up a complicated 'clean' sound duplicating it, altering each duplication, finding the levels don't match altering them again and ending up in a complete mess, I shall go for a simple solution for the first gig with the Prime.

Four individual effects, one on each switch of the wireless switcher.

I gig in a Bandeoke band and it's a small rig, get in and out quickly type situation. Punters all over the stage and no place for pricey pedal boards. I like the idea of my effects fitting in a pocket, tweakable at eye level on my phone. 

• Like 1