lownote

Mover groover?   

79 members have voted

1. 1. Do you move when you're playing?

• I have to whole body weave and groove to stay in the pocket
    • Can't play without my foot going
    • The slightest movement throws me off - gotta stay totally still
    • I prowl the stage

After decades of air drumming my feet have an auto kick drum thing going on if there's any kind of beat.
That and I subconsciously nod my head and mouth out rhythms from my early learning bass days, I got "if you can say it, you can play it" stuck in my head specially for fast bits.

Foot tapping is the norm for me. During energetic numbers I may well get caught up in the groove and move about. If one of the guitarists is going for it I may join in if it's appropriate (I wouldn't want to steal his thunder). If I'm doing BVs, I'll move back and forth to the mic. Recently I've had a couple of bass solos spots and I'm stationary during them but afterwards the relief of getting it right means I bounce a little more than usual. 😀

I can’t stand still when I play, I ‘Dad dance’ on the spot in front of my mic & if I’m not required to sing, I prowl around often interacting with our string section of Violin & Cello…Who are often doing the same!
It’s quite distracting when our Cellist strides over, she’s nearly 6’ in her heel’s 😃
You have to be careful of our violinist otherwise you could be poked with a bow!

I can’t stand watching bands who ‘Shoe-gaze’ their way through a performance? Give the audience something to watch..

80901EB9-6FAB-4F32-ADFA-DC51747A3D81.jpeg

F1C3CF1F-2004-442E-A85F-96EA03521438.jpeg

• Like 5

The last band I was gigging with actually took the pi** out of me when they viewed the recording of one of our gigs because I walked across the stage throughout the entire gig, each to there own but I cant see the point in standing still, doesn't seem much fun

• Like 1

I tap my foot, maybe saunter around a bit, but mainly just tap my foot. This mainly due to the 'stage' areas I've played have always been quite small, or there seems to be a lot of gear belonging to other band members around me. I dare not move too much for fear of standing on a lead and dislodging it from its connection or knocking over an instrument. 

• Like 2

I play DB almost all the time now and once the music starts I can't stand still, foot tapping at the minimum and "dancing" with the bass most of the time. I have gone wireless and one of these days I will do a real walkabout  and shock the band and the audience but most of the time mic stands and various cables and wires make it too tricky to move that much.

With EB about the same, I can't play bass, guitar or anything else sitting down.

I move around on stage - a lot.

But it cannot be classed in any way as moving to help keep the groove.  If anything it's detrimental to my playing.

I move to give the audience something to watch.

I have on occasion simplified a part to maximise posing potential 😊.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I like to think I'm prowling around like a seasoned stadium rocker. In reality.... I wiggle my shoulders a bit if the song is "bouncy", I try to interact with the drummer but that's hit and miss whether he even notices I'm there. I often interact with the singer or other guitarist, particularly on parts where we need to lock in. In all though, on video it looks a bit stilted and unnatural. I think that's just me though!  A few years back an old friend watched me play and noticed I had two moves: lean back a lot, lean forward a lot. I never knew until he told me but he was right! 

One thing I do like to do is play around during boring songs. We play Run by Snow Patrol. When the lead guitarist does his solo the melody of it reminds me of the chorus to "nothings gonna stop is now" by Starship so I'm often singing that as loud as I can, away from the mic, at the singer during the solo. Just a joke between me and him which makes us both laugh during one of the most boring songs we play. 

Edited by uk_lefty

On 23/06/2022 at 11:31, Bassman68 said:

I can’t stand still when I play, I ‘Dad dance’ on the spot in front of my mic & if I’m not required to sing, I prowl around often interacting with our string section of Violin & Cello…Who are often doing the same!
It’s quite distracting when our Cellist strides over, she’s nearly 6’ in her heel’s 😃
You have to be careful of our violinist otherwise you could be poked with a bow!

I can’t stand watching bands who ‘Shoe-gaze’ their way through a performance? Give the audience something to watch..

80901EB9-6FAB-4F32-ADFA-DC51747A3D81.jpeg

F1C3CF1F-2004-442E-A85F-96EA03521438.jpeg

Blimey! I'd interact with your string section too!

Edited by Marky L
  • Like 2

I fly around the stage! I'm 50 next year and can't seem to calm down. I do a lot of cardio to keep in shape but my left shoulder is starting to feel it now.

Probably best described my bass playing father in law who having seen me said "good but a bit posey". I asked if he meant me or the band in general. He thought for a moment and replied "well yeah, the band too, I suppose!"

Lewes.thumb.JPG.e8267f9b5d083f3a345f86a704c63f0d.JPG

• Haha 4
  • Sad 1

I do move - mainly my head.  I jerk it upwards to the beat.  And I'll bounce gently from foot to foot and maybe shuffle a bit, too.  Even prowl, slowly, given a big enough stage.  But generally it looks like I am being electrocuted.