Why become a member? ×

Barefaced Midget

unpluggedjack

This is the older generation cab (not the newer Super Midget).

Anyone got one, can give me accurate measurements?

Barefaced website says 19.5 inches or 48cm height. Well, 19.5 inches certainly ain't 48cm LOL

I'm hoping it will stack nicely with my Super Twin if turned horizontally. 

1 hour ago, Muzz said:

I'd contact Alex at Barefaced, he'll give you the very best advice on this. It may well work - the 15" Compact and 12" Midget were originally recommended as a pair together...

And worked very well together indeed

10 hours ago, Downunderwonder said:

I think the width / height of the Midget is likely the least of your concerns. Such an odd set of cabs is usually only useful in a biamp rig. 

A 4ohm 2x12 and an 8ohm 1x12 to give you a 2.67ohm 3x12 rig with all three getting the same power - why is that so odd?

I use the G2 Super Twelve and Midget, which were sold to work together exactly that way, and the Super Twin is just the G3 Super Twelve as far as I can tell.

8 hours ago, Ed_S said:

A 4ohm 2x12 and an 8ohm 1x12 to give you a 2.67ohm 3x12 rig with all three getting the same power - why is that so odd?

I use the G2 Super Twelve and Midget, which were sold to work together exactly that way, and the Super Twin is just the G3 Super Twelve as far as I can tell.

Not many amps are stable below 4 ohms.

The Super Twin has an uprated 12 from earlier versions and I assumed OP has the new one.

Good luck not going deaf even with earplugs. The stack must be north of 135dB.

18 hours ago, Downunderwonder said:

Not many amps are stable below 4 ohms.

The Super Twin has an uprated 12 from earlier versions and I assumed OP has the new one.

Good luck not going deaf even with earplugs. The stack must be north of 135dB.

Sadly true, but a lot of stereo power amps go down to 2R on a single channel so one of those and a preamp is always an option.

To be honest I don't use both cabs together all that often, but if I think I might have trouble hearing myself then the taller stack helps sort that out whilst keeping the stage volume down. And if we've got a bit of a bigger stage, it looks pretty nifty as well! I'm not using them to deafen anybody, I promise 🙂 

I've stacked my Compact (Gen1) with my Super Twin on a couple of occasions (as much for the look as anything, it was that kinda band), and raising the 12s up higher made them much clearer onstage. They might hit 135db, but who would ever run them that loud? My car will do 120 or so, but it's never been there...

There's a lot of amps out there will do 2.67 ohms (Mesa Boogies, anything Class D with the right 800/900 power section, etc), so a 4+8 is a feasible modular combination...and I always wear attenuators onstage - it's not the bass amp that'll deafen you, there's the cymbals, for starters (and geetards with 1x12 combos pointing the wrong way, in my direct experience)...

• Like 1