Why become a member? ×

Amp recommendations for using with a valve pre

spencer.b

Can't be bothered lugging big valve amps around and not crazy bout my class d amps tone so I'm thinking of using a valve pre but will need to get a power amp, am I right in thinking it doesn't have to be a bass amp, any ideas?

Small light and powerful preferably 

Valve preamps are a great halfway house between all tube and all solid state (or class D for that matter), my favourite of all being the Ampeg SVP PRO. I've also used mic preamps (TL Ivory 5051) and digital units (Zoom etc) straight into a power amp with good results.

Once you decide to go modular the world of options really opens up.

28 minutes ago, BassmanPaul said:

If the afore mentioned Class D amp has an effects loop plug the tube pre-amp output directly into the Return jack.

Good suggestion. You can also connect to the active instrument input if your amp has one (many do). Start with the input gain at minimum and go from there.

I've had a lot of rack pres and full on valve amps etc, and the best sound of them all for me - despite 20 years of ignoring it - was a simple sansamp bdi.

Rack pres are ok, but when coupled with a power amp, they're large, quite heavy, fiddly to use (they dont all sound loud as they should with their connections and outputs) and still quite delicate.

I'd say when playing in a band theres no difference to me between my markbass and sansamp, and any of the all valve beasts I had. I'd even say it sounds better.

Edited by la bam

The weight of rack stuff quickly adds up if you're not careful, and that light-weight class D amplifier will have a negligible impact on the overall weight of the rack which could end up being as heavy as an all-valve head. 

Edited by BigRedX

The set up I'm thinking about is a Dickinson P1 which is a high end valve pre pedal which I'll sometimes run into my amps but wanted recommendations for a a power only amp to run it through for a more portable set up when needed , I agree Bigred that rack mount stuff negates the point of it for my use in which case I might as we'll put the pedal through the class d amps I've got

Are there any class D power amps out there more like the quilter form rather than rack?

Edited by spencer.b