Why become a member? ×

YouTube music reaction videos

oldslapper

1 hour ago, BigRedX said:

Am I the only one who doesn't get Rick Beato most of the time?

Some of who he'd does is informative, but "What Makes This Song Great?" despite dissecting what happens musically (and occasionally with the production) never actually tells what makes the song great. Of course the answer to that question is entirely subjective and most of the time the thing that has made the song great is that when it was originally released in the 60s/70s/80s/90s lots of people went out and bought it (in the US) simply because they liked how it sounded. 

I quite enjoy some of his 'What makes this song great?' though I don't care for his interviews with guitar shredders operating in micro-niches with maybe a couple of thousand fans.  Sure others will but of his 3 million subscribers I bet most won't. I like the way he can appreciate current pop songs and not just blanket write them off because they're mainstream popular. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, BigRedX said:

Some of who he'd does is informative, but "What Makes This Song Great?" despite dissecting what happens musically (and occasionally with the production) never actually tells what makes the song great. Of course the answer to that question is entirely subjective and most of the time the thing that has made the song great is that when it was originally released in the 60s/70s/80s/90s lots of people went out and bought it (in the US) simply because they liked how it sounded. 

Agree, it should be called "Here Are The Various Bits Of This Song"

I spend lots of time watching the reaction videos of someone seeing paint drying for the very first time. It really helps me to understand both my own reaction to having watched paint drying on a video, and more importantly, how I should react in future when seeing paint drying on a video.

• Haha 2

It's a very modern phenomenon, that I at 36, do not understand, remotely. It's very similar to the rise of Twitch and watching other people play videogames. I cannot get my head around it all all. Just go and play a game yourself?

They almost always, to a man (and woman) have annoying 'Youtube' personalities, to boot.

I love Rick Beato though!

YT is free - aside from annoying and poorly-timed ads (yes I know you can block from a computer but I’m on an iPad 90% of the time). The fact that channels like Rick Beato exist and cost nothing is IMHO fantastic. If you don’t like it - jog on, as I do with also the aforementioned reaction and unboxing videos :)

Funnily, I'm just in the middle of watching an unboxing/review video. I think it's the first time he has done one and he explained that he's doing it so that viewers see how the guitar arrives, how it's packed etc, rather than seeing him a review a guitar that he's already tuned and adjusted the action and relief on.

3 hours ago, fretmeister said:

As for the "they are all staged" nonsense.

Of course some will be. I think it is reasonable to assume the older the listener the more likely they will have heard something before. But being aware is very different from actually listening, and listening to a song on the radio is very different to knowing anything about the act. One of the comments on the Bee Gees was "but this is a black song.... it's in all the black movies..." and when that or similar comments are made by lots of people the chances of them all being staged is about zero.

But the younger generation?

The One Direction fans who slagged off Roger Daltry because "The Who" was a stupid band name and they won't get anywhere and certainly won't last as long as 1D... Billie Eilish not knowing who Van Halen was... and let's not forget the Kanye and McCartney one...

Music is such a generational and peer exposure thing. There is so much out there that passes us by. If you've got a reaction channel why would you pick stuff you already know when there is so much you haven't? Most of them ask for suggestions from their viewers and get their playlist that way.

TBH some of this thread sounds a lot like people who get irrationally upset when someone wears a band t-shirt having never heard of the band.

I bet some of you never even bought a CD by Harley Davidson in your lives.

Kanye and McCartney.jpg

The Macca thing was clearly a joke yet oldies got upset very easily about it!

3 hours ago, BigRedX said:

Am I the only one who doesn't get Rick Beato most of the time?

Isn't what makes a song great different for everyone though?

12 minutes ago, Supernaut said:

Isn't what makes a song great different for everyone though?

Yes, But simply knowing what the chord progressions are isn't what makes a song great.

Also most of the time he's dealing with a specific recording, and what makes that great is a combination of the music, the lyrics, the arrangement, the performance and the production. The latter 4 are barely touched upon, if at all.

3 hours ago, neepheid said:

Watching someone open a box and remove the contents.  That's entertainment!

I think I'd rather stab myself in the eye with a fork.  Maybe I should film that and post it on YT - I bet it would be more entertaining, in a peurile, Jackass kind of way.

If you do, let me know and I'll do a reaction video. 

• Haha 2

There's a channel I really enjoy called Lost In Vegas, where two hip-hop fans listen to and react to metal bands.

They seem like they're genuinely enjoying it (or not) and one of guys often has quite insightful comments about the lyrics, worth a look it you like that sort of thing

3 hours ago, BigRedX said:

Yes, But simply knowing what the chord progressions are isn't what makes a song great.

Also most of the time he's dealing with a specific recording, and what makes that great is a combination of the music, the lyrics, the arrangement, the performance and the production. The latter 4 are barely touched upon, if at all.

I don’t think you’re his target market. 

Edited by FDC484950

Yeah they can be fun. They can also be annoying , but being irrationally angry at something i can just turn off is a non starter for me.

One i watched a few months back was a nice posh lady who was listening to Panteras Cemetary gates. I enjoyed it.

Edit: one channel i do really enjoy watching is Pat Finnerty, he does the whole Beato thing (sort of) but with humour. Great vids, especially the "what makes this song stink"

Edited by Thump

33 minutes ago, Thump said:

Edit: one channel i do really enjoy watching is Pat Finnerty, he does the whole Beato thing (sort of) but with humour. Great vids, especially the "what makes this song stink"

I think quite a lot of those in RB's 'What makes this ...' would be better featured on this channel instead

• Like 1