Why become a member? ×

YouTube music reaction videos

oldslapper

I’ve been hooked on these for a few months now. It’s a rabbit hole. 

Some observations:

Difference between women and mens’ reactions to some videos were noticeable to me (yes I know, I know…move on…)

The difference was most noticeable with first time reactions to well delivered, emotive performances of well written songs. Male reactions often appeared to be emotionally “stunted” or confused, and tried to dissect or make sense of what they had observed. Female reactions were often far more emotionally embracing, not trying to “make sense”, but rather allow themselves to enjoy the experience. 
Here’s an example:  watch to the end.

I appreciate that some may find this observation offensive, or gender something or another. That’s a debate you can have if you want.

I love watching people react to music at gigs too. Maybe I’m just a voyeur or summat. Weirdo. 🫣

Edited by oldslapper
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, musicbassman said:

I simply cannot understand the appeal of these.

I'd also bet that the majority of these are completely staged.

Coming up next !!! ... watch this old woman's reaction to price of groceries at Tescos .................

Oh ok. 

9 minutes ago, musicbassman said:

Reaction videos on youtube are one of my current irritations, Its getting hard to find actual things on youtube that aren't someones reaction to that thing!

I am completely perplexed as to why someone would watch one of them. I avoided them for ages, then I thought I would watch one in case there was something non obvious I was missing. I watched about 30 seconds of it, and it turned out to be exactly what I thought it was, so I remain in total confusion as to the appeal.

I know we all like different things, and if you get some enjoyment from it, I guess its good, but who cares what some random persons reaction is to something?

I suppose some could say that channels like Rick Beato is just reactions to songs, but at least there is an analysis there as to how the songs are constructed, not just 'oh this bit is great'

• Like 4

A lot of these are daft but you do find some really good ones.

There’s a chap who is apparently a drummer who, in this video watched. Neil Peart live solo. He was dumbstruck for most of it.

One I do like is The Charismatic Voice by the opera singer and vocal coach Elizabeth Zharoff. She dissects a lot of rock songs, explaining why some bits are more difficult to do than they sound etc. She was giddy at the odd time signatures and instrumental prowess of Tom Sawyer and Spirit of Radio, as well as giving feedback on the vocal warblings.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Daz39 said:

She dissects a lot of rock songs, explaining why some bits are more difficult to do than they sound etc.

Dissection - that's fine, I can happily watch Rick Beato or any one else with a good grasp of theory and recording techniques deconstruct something.

Reaction videos are another matter.  😳

• Like 3

Rick Beato is a pretty nifty musician with a nice big studio, a huge amount of experience and a ton of contacts in the music industry. He doesn’t react but analyse and in some videos goes into quite a lot of depth. I’ve got a lot of time for him because he really does care about music and especially musicians. The same applies to many other similar channels.

What was the quote from Billy Connolly about Big Brother? Sitting on your sofa at home, chatting, watching people sitting on a sofa in a house somewhere else chatting? I’m showing my age but grew up with “entertainment”, for better or worse. The whole reality TV nonsense befuddles me - it’s cheap lazy TV that is popular because anyone can be “famous” and “person reacting to something” videos are a natural extension of that. There are so many better ways to waste what limited time we have :)

• Like 3

I'm a little bit obsessed with The Charismatic Voice on YouTube. 

Of course it doesn't hurt that she's extremely attractive and has one of the most emotive and expressionate faces I've ever seen, and a voice like butter. 

Sometimes I'm not even sure what she's reacting to, and I'm not sure I even care. 😆

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, oldslapper said:

Sorry to be so shallow. 🙄

You're not.

I like them too.

Particularly when the young'uns discover some old classics. A favourite of mine was a compilation of black listeners discovering that Bobby Caldwell and the Bee Gees were white. 

• Haha 2

As for the "they are all staged" nonsense.

Of course some will be. I think it is reasonable to assume the older the listener the more likely they will have heard something before. But being aware is very different from actually listening, and listening to a song on the radio is very different to knowing anything about the act. One of the comments on the Bee Gees was "but this is a black song.... it's in all the black movies..." and when that or similar comments are made by lots of people the chances of them all being staged is about zero.

But the younger generation?

The One Direction fans who slagged off Roger Daltry because "The Who" was a stupid band name and they won't get anywhere and certainly won't last as long as 1D... Billie Eilish not knowing who Van Halen was... and let's not forget the Kanye and McCartney one...

Music is such a generational and peer exposure thing. There is so much out there that passes us by. If you've got a reaction channel why would you pick stuff you already know when there is so much you haven't? Most of them ask for suggestions from their viewers and get their playlist that way.

TBH some of this thread sounds a lot like people who get irrationally upset when someone wears a band t-shirt having never heard of the band.

I bet some of you never even bought a CD by Harley Davidson in your lives.

Kanye and McCartney.jpg

Edited by fretmeister

I cannot stomach any of these 'reaction' videos. They are tedious in the extreme and I couldn't care less what someone else thinks about hearing Neil Peart for the first time. I can see the appeal of making them as they get a massive amount of hits and I presume that means some sort of monetisation. If it doesn't then I'm completely stumped as to why they even bother making them.

The analysis videos I do understand as there is usually something in there to learn from, but the 'OMG, that's dope' reaction ones - utter dross.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Am I the only one who doesn't get Rick Beato most of the time?

Some of who he'd does is informative, but "What Makes This Song Great?" despite dissecting what happens musically (and occasionally with the production) never actually tells what makes the song great. Of course the answer to that question is entirely subjective and most of the time the thing that has made the song great is that when it was originally released in the 60s/70s/80s/90s lots of people went out and bought it (in the US) simply because they liked how it sounded. 

• Like 1

Watching someone open a box and remove the contents.  That's entertainment!

I think I'd rather stab myself in the eye with a fork.  Maybe I should film that and post it on YT - I bet it would be more entertaining, in a peurile, Jackass kind of way.

1 hour ago, musicbassman said:

I think these are a way of allowing youtubers to get around YouTube's rules for monetising of videos. Google been clamping down on a lot of channels which repeat stuff without creating content. These are a way to claim that they are creating new content by displaying someone's 'reaction'.

1 hour ago, Daz39 said:

A lot of these are daft but you do find some really good ones.

There’s a chap who is apparently a drummer who, in this video watched. Neil Peart live solo. He was dumbstruck for most of it.

And what is the entertainment value in that? I mean genuinely I want to know.. I find it pretty easy to find dumbstruck people around here

35 minutes ago, Cat Burrito said:

I prefer them to "unboxing". In my day it was called "opening" and the whole thing makes me feel at least 20yrs older than my actual age. 

That is also irritating. When you are looking for a review of something and you end up at an unboxing video - thanks, I can read on the side of the packet what is in it, and most of the other stuff I throw away, I was hoping for some insight into how it worked.

35 minutes ago, neepheid said:

Watching someone open a box and remove the contents.  That's entertainment!

A video of someone's reaction
An unboxing of the latest widget
A load of ads for crap you don't need
And gobshites pushing political opinions
That's entertainment
That's entertainment

• Thanks 1

I like a couple - The Charismatic Voice for all the above reasons, plus Jamel AKA Jamal because he's just such a lovely lad.

Also, pretty much anyone ever who's done a reaction video for Jinjer's Pisces. eg ahem "The Fairy Voice Mother" here

• Like 2