Why become a member? ×

The Lightweight Cabs Thread

lukeward2004

I'm toying with the idea of a Tecamp 500w Puma Combo 212. Has anyone got an opinion on this versus the cheaper GK models of similar spec?
At the moment I carry around all vintage gear and it may be time to embrace the new lightweight equipment as 2am is not much fun on the way out of venues!

• 4 months later...
  • 2 months later...

This is my Rig for about a year and love it.
I had a Carvin Rig (BX1200 + RL210 + RL115 = Alot of weight), that swap for a lighter one. The result is this:
A GB Streamliner 600 and 2 GB Focus 112. Around 32lb each cab and with a greeaaattt sound.

[url=http://postimg.org/image/w3wl8avzt/][/url]

Edited by Markolinni

• 2 weeks later...

Hey all, frequent reader but new poster here - Just wondering if any recent recipients of a Barefaced cab would be willing to share what their waiting time was like - I put a deposit on 2 super compacts and I'm quite excited to get my mitts on them..just wondering how long people have been waiting lately since they moved to the new building..

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I tried several small lightweight cabs running a 250W Littlelmark Blackline back to back on Saturday and thought I would share my impression.

Markbass Traveller 102P 4 Ohm
Markbas Traveller 121P 8 Ohm
Eden Compact 115 8Ohm

The 102 was by far the loudest setup - probably because of impedance rating. Overall it was maybe a bit lacking in character if anything.
The 115 wasp pretty good, but seemed to lack volume and definiton low down. It sounded great further up (past A string 5th fret or thereabouts)
I didn't get on with the 121 at all.

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Absolutely the lightest full range cabs on the market today are direct from Vivid Amps in the US

www.vividamps.com

They use a patented molding technique to create ultra featherweight cabs in a series of sizes, even a 1X18 is 20 lbs.

Of course Wayne Jones just relaunched his powered cabs and those are also especially lightweight.

www.waynejonesaudio.com

There are several manufacturers who will be launching new cabs at NAMM 2016 all with lightweight, neo drivers. Among the newer amp and cab entrants will be ZT Amplifiers (200W compact system), revised offerings from Trickfish amps, and I also hear that Tech21 may also be putting out a new high power handling lighter cab.

Cabs are definitely moving lighter. Good for us old guys.

Tom