Why become a member? ×

The Lightweight Cabs Thread

lukeward2004

[quote name='bass_ferret' post='5478' date='May 23 2007, 11:28 PM']Dont you know those speakers should be vertically aligned and the cab 8 foot tall?[/quote]

If they were squeezed any tighter they would have to be vertically aligned!

I know sonic purists may frown at the cramming of drivers in a minimalist box but the fact that it can handle 2100 watt (rms), have a sensitivity of 104db (1w1m), extend from/to 30-20,000hz and still be skinnier and lighter than most of the 'dinky' cabs out there...

Time will tell if it will deliver the goods live but I ran it for a couple of hours last night and things look good :)

[quote name='neilb' post='5558' date='May 24 2007, 09:11 AM']Looks a beauty Warwick mate. Who is selling your old 2x10? Is it kalim?[/quote]

Yes it appears that he likes the tone of the Tech cab but just wants MORE, and I'd say that's what this 6x10 delivers; what the 2x10 has x 3.

The 2x10 can and will handle a gig by itself if anyone is having doubts about it.

Has anyone tried the Nemesis NSP212?

I've had enough of lugging my Hartke 210 and 115 up four flights of stairs so I'm going to go lightweight.
I'm not mad about 410s, a single 15 is a bit too bassy, a 210 isn't bassy enough so is a 212 the happy medium?

[quote name='warwickhunt' post='5565' date='May 24 2007, 09:25 AM']Yes it appears that he likes the tone of the Tech cab but just wants MORE, and I'd say that's what this 6x10 delivers; what the 2x10 has x 3.

The 2x10 can and will handle a gig by itself if anyone is having doubts about it.[/quote]

I would agree there, I found that my two Tech 4x10's just wanted for more. I could have easily wound my poweramp open with out them breaking into a sweat. With that in mind, the 6x10 or 6x12 even is on my shopping list of possibilities.

Look forward to the review John!

[quote name='TheRev' post='5655' date='May 24 2007, 12:36 PM']Has anyone tried the Nemesis NSP212?

I've had enough of lugging my Hartke 210 and 115 up four flights of stairs so I'm going to go lightweight.
I'm not mad about 410s, a single 15 is a bit too bassy, a 210 isn't bassy enough so is a 212 the happy medium?[/quote]

I've got the combo version of the 2x12 so I can offer you some insight hopefully.

I think it's an excellent cab. For starters it's very light (and I have the combo version), it has deep handles on the sides and on the top and you could definately carry it on your own with not much hassle. It's even better with castors, which were supplied with my combo. I don't know if you get them with the cabs on their own though.

Sound-wise, it's very tight, articulate and well defined. Good over the whole spectrum, a happy medium between a 1x15 and a 2x10 I'd say.

[quote name='Waldo' post='5673' date='May 24 2007, 12:51 PM']Sound-wise, it's very tight, articulate and well defined. Good over the whole spectrum, a happy medium between a 1x15 and a 2x10 I'd say.[/quote]

Oh bugger. That sounds perfect. Time to scrape some money together.....

[quote name='TheRev' post='5909' date='May 24 2007, 05:27 PM']Oh bugger. That sounds perfect. Time to scrape some money together.....[/quote]

Please try and try one first though, I'd feel bad if you bought it on my recommendation and then didn't like it :)

[quote name='TheRev' post='5909' date='May 24 2007, 05:27 PM']Oh bugger. That sounds perfect. Time to scrape some money together.....[/quote]

[quote name='Waldo' post='6375' date='May 25 2007, 11:23 AM']Please try and try one first though, I'd feel bad if you bought it on my recommendation and then didn't like it :)[/quote]

Yes I always feel slightly uncomfortable posting in respone to "tell me what to buy" type posts.

Hi everyone!

Ok.. apologies I have been away for a day or so... to do a little investigation for some new cabs. I'm off out again this weekend elswhere, but so far I have found out the following...

I don't think I like MarkBass cabs. They have a great tone, just not a tone I like. I'm not too excited about Warwick cabs at the moment, but only had a chance to try a couple. However, on Steve (CrazyKiwi) 's advice I went to try some more Epifani gear today. I went for for a trott down to the bass gallery to see Alex, infact. Lovely bloke.

So we had a play with the Epifani 4x10 and the 2x12.. quite nice, lovely clarity.But didnt really offer anything more than my Tech cabs. I started to wonder if selling them was such a good idea after all!

I also had a chance to pull out some EBS cabs for a thrash. Still the 4x10's left me wanting. I don't know. Maybe it was the shop acoustics?

Well.. no...

I was asking Alex about the 6x10's, when he piped up " We have one in stock!"

*nan taylor voice* welllllllllllllllllll... stone me... I fawwt i was gonna die with shock... the fackin liberty....!

I think I wil just end the report here! Every other cab after the Epifani 6x10 UL sounded like wee wee. I'm gonna try to prove the fact wrong.. but I think I may have found another step to sonic nirvana!

Is it better than the Techs? Well.. that I can't answer. I'd love to hear John's new Tech 6x10. I reckon it will have simialr 'cab eating' abilities. The Epifani 6x10 VS 1 of my Tech 4x10's is no contest. I think 2 4x10's would have been similar, but the one cab solution looks like a step closer! One to be recommended on this list.

Wouldn't you just love to have the Epi in a shop with a Tech... not gonna happen!

I have to say I've just returned from a gig (18th b'day for the son of a good friend) and the Tech just gave and kept giving. As it was full of p*ssed up 'young uns' I had the opportunity to experiment without a blind sole even noticing. I slapped the RHCP, slammed some AudioSlave, chugged away at AC/DC and slid my way through some smoochie numbers and the Tech didn't miss a beat, whatever I did.

I do believe that 'for me' a (comparatively) light-weight 6x10 is possibly the best compromise between the single BIG cab (ie 8x10) and the modular small cabs. I have to admit that WoT's Schroeder 12121011212 :) that I borrowed had a room filling presence very similar to the Tech and I would love to A/B them, along with the Epi 6x10 of course!

I have a 'proper' gig Saturday night (with my other band) in front of what I'm lead to believe are a bunch of muso types (blues venue) so the cab will be tested under different conditions. Full report/review after the 2nd gig.

Go on Dood get a 6x10, you know it makes sense.

Hey John! Thats sounds great mate! I look forward to your next installment!!

I must admit, having just read your initial report, I agree with what you are saying and I've been swayed a little further toward the 6x10!

Thank you!!

[b][url="http://www.accugroove.com/"]AccuGroove[/url][/b] ought to be mentioned. Very good sound, quite light wheight, rather expensive.
I own a pair of Tri-112L cabs which I've done a bit of touring with, and I am even more pleased with them now, having experienced their unfailing good sound in a variety of venues.
The Tri-112L cab is a three way system, with one 12" woofer, a 6" midrange driver, and two 1" textile dome tweeters. 8 ohm. Don't remember power handling, think it was 400 W or thereabout. Specs are on the [url="http://www.accugroove.com/"]web page[/url], you know. Lots of other cabs too.
[url="http://hallgeir.no/bass/bassrig/photos1/photos1-Pages/Image1.html"][/url]

[quote name='bass_ferret' post='6420' date='May 25 2007, 12:34 PM']Yes I always feel slightly uncomfortable posting in respone to "tell me what to buy" type posts.[/quote]

Don't panic chaps - I was already swinging towards 2x12s and I just wanted to know if anyone had anything good or bad to say about the Nemesis cab in particular. TBH, I'm not particularly demanding about cabs - most of the ones I've owned have been perfectly good (except for 4x10s, just don't seem to like 'em) and also, in my experience, playing through a cab in a shop bears little resemblance to what it'll sound like when the drummer kicks in.

Thanks for your input though. Much appreciated.

• 1 month later...

[quote name='dood' post='6907' date='May 25 2007, 11:34 PM']Hi everyone!

Ok.. apologies I have been away for a day or so... to do a little investigation for some new cabs. I'm off out again this weekend elswhere, but so far I have found out the following...

I don't think I like MarkBass cabs. They have a great tone, just not a tone I like. I'm not too excited about Warwick cabs at the moment, but only had a chance to try a couple. However, on Steve (CrazyKiwi) 's advice I went to try some more Epifani gear today. I went for for a trott down to the bass gallery to see Alex, infact. Lovely bloke.

So we had a play with the Epifani 4x10 and the 2x12.. quite nice, lovely clarity.But didnt really offer anything more than my Tech cabs. I started to wonder if selling them was such a good idea after all!

I also had a chance to pull out some EBS cabs for a thrash. Still the 4x10's left me wanting. I don't know. Maybe it was the shop acoustics?

Well.. no...

I was asking Alex about the 6x10's, when he piped up " We have one in stock!"

*nan taylor voice* welllllllllllllllllll... stone me... I fawwt i was gonna die with shock... the fackin liberty....!

I think I wil just end the report here! Every other cab after the Epifani 6x10 UL sounded like wee wee. I'm gonna try to prove the fact wrong.. but I think I may have found another step to sonic nirvana!

Is it better than the Techs? Well.. that I can't answer. I'd love to hear John's new Tech 6x10. I reckon it will have simialr 'cab eating' abilities. The Epifani 6x10 VS 1 of my Tech 4x10's is no contest. I think 2 4x10's would have been similar, but the one cab solution looks like a step closer! One to be recommended on this list.[/quote]

Are we going a little OT here? - The Epifani 6x10 cab weighs in at 92lbs - a lightweight cab???

Hamster

Edited by Hamster

• 3 weeks later...

For sheer weight alone, this combi weighs in at 17 lbs 8 ounces.
The Clarus is 5lbs. The GK MBX 112 is 12 lbs. The Dayton ribboon tweeter is 8 ounces.

I use this for rehearsals, small cafe gigs, small club gigs. Tone? Can't complain for what it offers and if I need to play a slightly bigger venue and the band is not too large ( I usually play in a piano trio, sometimes with elec gtr and often with vox) I take out a second MBX112 and Dayton, and run the pair at 4 ohms in total, which is what I did for last Friday's trio gig in a private chapel for about 50 - 60 people. (jazz, blues and latin music)

The MBX has a 1 X 12 at 8 ohms, I have modified mine with a homemade 3.5 Khz crossover (-24db) internally. Tha Dayton ribbon is 8 ohms and is magnetic, so it sticks to the Clarus or the MBX.

The MBX is the cab portion of the MB150. The chassis is aluminium.

The clarus is OK for use, and I use it for convenience more than tone, actually I sometimes feed my bass into the efx return and bypass the crap onboard preamp. It actually sounds better with the preamp bypassed. Might look into getting a Markbass head. I used this speaker rig with an Alembic F-1X and Carver poweramp exclusively for a series fo jazz gigs in NZ. Worked great, sounded good.... my main 3 way cab sounds better for sure but this combi sounds good enough not to offend my ear for many of my gigs and for the type of music I do and I sure can't complain about it weight.

I wouldn't use it for a rock gig though I would use the pair (300W , 4 ohms) to play behind a horn section in a funk band.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 5 weeks later...

I just got an Epifani UL110, it's a powerful sound from such a tiny 250W cab.
It is so light you can actually carry it to gigs without one arm getting longer that the other!
There are limitations to how much low end a cab this small can handle before cracking up but it produces a surprising amount (more than some of the cheaper 410s).
It would be good to have a bit more woof for big gigs but it is very usable and in a smaller room it sounds great.
I reckon if I can find a good lightweight sub and bi-amp or use a passive crossover it would be the ideal flexible set up. One cab for rehearsals and small gigs, two for the loud ones.

Edited by dub

• 4 weeks later...

I'm not intending to single out bass_ferret's posts here intentionally but the EBS neo stuff sounds well different to the non neo stuff. To me, they don't feel as warm or fat. I guess you could say they sound more clinical than the standard proline stuff. I did have the neo stuff for a while but shopped it all in for the proline stuff. The lightweight cabs were brilliant, but the proline stuff just sounded better to me... and being a 2x10 person, the weight of a standard 2x10 is not that heavy. Just to echo the following -

[quote name='bass_ferret' post='6420' date='May 25 2007, 12:34 PM']Yes I always feel slightly uncomfortable posting in respone to "tell me what to buy" type posts.[/quote]

- you need to do your own testing and see what your ears like.

• 1 month later...