Why become a member? ×

The Lightweight Cabs Thread

lukeward2004

Hi All,

I thought it would be a good idea to post a thread on the best Lightweight cabs on the market today - including 4x10's, 2x10's, 1x15's, whatever configurations you like, so long as it is a lightweight cab.

If people could post a picture and some specs, and maybe a brief review on your experiences with the cab, I think it would make it easier for people to make a decision on buying a cab or deciding upon a cab to suit thier needs.

Once we have enough responses, I will make this a sticky.

So come on guys, lets get cracking.

I have the Eden [b]Nemesis NSP115 [/b]1x15" (plus horn) cab -- very dinky, [i]very[/i] lightweight ported cab.
Handling 250W RMS
Frequency Response 38hz - 18khz ±2dB
Sensitivity 100dB SPL@1W1M
Impedance 8ohms
Dimensions 24.75"w x 17.25"h x 16.25"d
Weight 32 LBS
Absolutely brilliant VFM if you ask me... very loud and sounds great (not tons of ultra low-end due to its small dimensions, it'd never make a dub reggae cab, but the small-and-light-ness is why I bought it, so I don't care!).

I also have the [b]Nemesis NSP210[/b] 2x10" (again, plus horn) cab -- again it's very dinky and lightweight, obviously being 10s it's a lot punchier and less warm than the 115.
Handling 300W RMS
Frequency Response 35hz - 18khz ±2dB
Sensitivity 102dB SPL@1W1M
Impedance 4 or 8ohms
Dimensions 24.75"w x 16.25"h x 16.25"d
Weight 47 LBS
I'd take some of those figures with a pinch of salt... it's definitely not 15lbs heavier than the 115 for a start, their weights are very close. Like the 115 it's very loud for its size... check the sensitivity figures.

The 115 and 210 do go very well together, although on reflection I wish I'd tried a pair of the 115 cabs out too... I love these cabs, especially the 115 (as you can probably tell!), the only problem with them is that the HF horn has no attenuator and can be very harsh. I have disabled the horn on the 210 cab, but it is possible to make an adjustment to reduce its output somewhat.
That notwithstanding, I think they're brilliant.... for my money, far and away the best in their price range.

And here they are together (the basses give an idea of scale)...

My vote goes to my Epifani UL cabs.
The UL115 is so light it moves around on some stages unless i tape it down.
goes nice and deep but with plenty of highs if needed.
My UL212 is bigger but still light compared to a normal 212. so far that hasn't moved on stage yet.

First the UL212

And then the UL115 (still for sale;-)

[b]Markbass Standard 102 HF[/b][u][/u]

IMPEDANCE
8 or 4 ohms
SPEAKER SIZE
2x10 in.
BASS PORTS
front
TWEETER
1" compression driver with custom horn
POWER HANDLING
400W RMS (AES Standard)
CROSSOVER FREQUENCY
3.5 kHz
FREQUENCY RESPONSE
40 Hz to 20 kHz
SENSITIVITY
101 dB SPL
WEIGHT
49.8 lbs / 22.6 kg
WIDTH
23.4 in. / 59.4 cm
HEIGHT
21.6 in. / 55 cm
DEPTH
18.9 in. / 43.3 cm

[b]Markbass Traveler 102P[/b][u][/u]

IMPEDENCE
8 or 4 ohms
SPEAKER SIZE
2x10 in.
BASS PORT
rear
TWEETER
piezo
POWER HANDLING
400W RMS (AES Standard)
CROSSOVER FREQUENCY
3.5 kHz
FREQUENCY RESPONSE
45 Hz to 18 kHz
SENSITIVITY
101 dB SPL
WEIGHT
33 lbs / 15 kg
WIDTH
23.4 in. / 59.4 cm
HEIGHT
13 in. / 33 cm
DEPTH
17 in. / 43.3 cm

I have both of these.

The Standard is bigger, but still a fairly manageable 1 hand carry. It is a superb, superb cab in my opinion. Really punchy, with solid depth to it, and seems to be indestructible - you can really push it. Projects the midrage like a spear through the room, but does lose a little low end at distance. BUT, and ideal cab for monitoring on even large stagesm and will handle large rooms without PA support. And a bargain too - easilt under £500 new.

The Traveler is really light and portable. It has the same characteristics as the larger cab, but without the really low end extension. Cuts through, and can be pushed hard also. If you have PA support, there is no need to take any other cabs to a gig. Good value too. I tend to use this one alone, as I cant be arsed with the bigger one for most occasions. There is nothing like a one-journey load in from the car - 2 bass gigbags in one hand, cab in the other, littlmark and leads/gubbins bag over one shoulder. Job well and truly done.

Hope this helps

Chris

Used together, they sound like a massive 4*10.

I brought one of these a few weeks ago with a little markII. And it totally destroys my previous setup ( 2x10 + 1x15 with an ABM 500). And I feel its the ideal cab for heavy rock/metal, where its necessary to move alot of air to be heard over 2 loud 100watt guitarists.

This is a light cab which doesn't seem to make any compromises when it comes to tone and volume. I'd say this is louder then any 8x10 i've heard but a third of the weight.

Another vote for Tech Soundsystems cabs.

These cabs are amazing. They are around 19" wide, incredibly light and have a very focussed sound with bags of character.

I drive these two cabs with either a Tech TVM600 or Tech TVM350 and get a lovely warm sound with loads of clarity

There is a Tech 2 x 10 for sale at the moment for £290 inc shipping. This is a bargain for a cab of this calibre.

Edited by bassbloke

Just posted this over in the Show Your Rigs thread, but thought I'd sling it up here too:

Schroeder 1212L

Specs over here:

[url="http://www.schroedercabinets.com/1212.htm"]http://www.schroedercabinets.com/1212.htm[/url]

Rich

(I'll get a better pic of the cab when I sort my camera out)

Edited by RichBowman

Second thumbs up for the markbass 2x10 102HF. Love mine its great think I'll be keeping this cab what ever head i put with it. Great weight and kicks a punch. I wouldn't mind having a 1x15 with it but only to move more air and raise it off the ground. It holds its own nicely good low end response I think. I think its a good balance for lightweight cabs and volume.

I'm toying with one of the 4 ohm Tech cabs to replace my two EA cabs. I have a CXL112 and an old VL110 that are very compact. Not the heaviest but not the lightest either and one less trip to the car appeals. Does anyone know who sells the Tech cabs?

EBS Neo's. Specs [url="http://www.ebs.bass.se/"]here[/url]

Practice rig: Neo 1x12

[attachment=231:pratice_rig.JPG]

Small gigs: Neo 1x10/1x12

Big gigs: Neo 2x12

[attachment=232:gig_rig.JPG]

Never used it but its there if I want it!

The little Neo's are incredible for the size but they do have limitations. The 2x12 just gets louder!

[quote name='JD1' post='4491' date='May 22 2007, 05:07 PM']I'm toying with one of the 4 ohm Tech cabs to replace my two EA cabs. I have a CXL112 and an old VL110 that are very compact. Not the heaviest but not the lightest either and one less trip to the car appeals. Does anyone know who sells the Tech cabs?[/quote]

I think the Bass Merchant in Essex do the Tech Cabs, though I think they'd pretty much sold off most of the old style cabs and were due to get in a load of the new style.

HTH

Rich

[quote name='RichBowman' post='4661' date='May 22 2007, 09:32 PM']I think the Bass Merchant in Essex do the Tech Cabs, though I think they'd pretty much sold off most of the old style cabs and were due to get in a load of the new style.

HTH

Rich[/quote]

Actually, I spoke to Mike at the Bass Merchant recently about Tech gear (and have since bought their last Tech head off them). He said they probably weren't going to get the TecAmp range in because they build their own Neo cabs now. Plus, they do much better with GK andMarkbass gear.

The Bass Centre Deutschlandhave some of the Tech range still in stock, but their prices still aren't that good.

Kalim on this forum is selling a Tech 2 x 10 that he bought from Warwickhunt. For £290 shipped it's a no brainer. Unfortunately, I just splashed out £450 on the aforementioned Tech TVM600 as well as stillneeding to fork out for the repair of my Tech TVM350 that's proving quite a git to fix. Oh yeah, and my wife is expecting our second child anytime in the next 3 weeks! Otherwise, I'd have had it like a shot.

[quote name='bassbloke' post='4726' date='May 22 2007, 11:08 PM']The Bass Centre Deutschlandhave some of the Tech range still in stock, but their prices still aren't that good.[/quote]

Hang fire... I'll give an update on that when and if I get the cab that I bought from them 10 days ago on a 3/4 day delivery!

Oh yeah, ive got one of those GK dodahs as well
Homer, we came very close to having the same rig as i almost got the UL310 as well.
But now im going back to MB i hope. I think the MB/UL combination is fantastic.

Edited by dave_bass5

[quote name='lukeward2004' post='5014' date='May 23 2007, 11:39 AM']Where can I get an Epiphani UL 410 cab and how much am I looking at for one?

Just out of curiosity as I am after something to replace my Hartke cab, as its far too heavy - fancy a nice light cab....[/quote]

The Gallery sell them but might not have any in stock.
I got my UL212 from Wood&tronics in Italy. Got my cab in a week. worked out a bit dearer though (£30 more) than getting one from the Gallery but the Gallery didnt have one in stock at the time. Its the postage that makes it dearer.
You could also get one direct from the states but you wont save much.

Edited by dave_bass5

[quote name='warwickhunt' post='4732' date='May 22 2007, 11:22 PM']Hang fire... I'll give an update on that [b]when and if[/b] I get the cab that I bought from them 10 days ago on a 3/4 day delivery![/quote]

At least you're being optimistic about the whole debacle

Flanker and Ari had theirs at the Bash a while back - Can't really remember there being too much difference between the two, maybe that the 4x10 was a bit (really low down) deeper, or perhaps that the 3x10 had a slightly more pronounced mid (barely). I could be talking out of my hoop though, by that point of the evening my ears were distinctly fatigued!

Rich

[quote name='lukeward2004' post='5014' date='May 23 2007, 11:39 AM']Where can I get an Epiphani UL 410 cab and how much am I looking at for one?

Just out of curiosity as I am after something to replace my Hartke cab, as its far too heavy - fancy a nice light cab....[/quote]

There's one for sale on here now Luke - it's an 8ohm one.

[url="http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=546"]http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=546[/url]

Edited by niceguyhomer

My 30kg (66lb) 6x10 Tech Soundsystems cab has finally arrived (pics and review to follow after a thorough road test).

Has to be the lightest 6x10 ever but the beauty is that it is only 21" wide so can be manoeuvred easily and it has a 'tip & go' set of casters on the rear base of the cab!