Why become a member? ×

The Lightweight Cabs Thread

lukeward2004

[quote name='david_l_perry' post='163537' date='Mar 26 2008, 02:39 AM']Neo drivers have been being used by Bass cab manufacturers and DIY bass cab manufacturers for a number of years.[/quote]
Most notably by JBL in their PA cabs well over a decade ago, though JBL has never made them available other than in finished cabs.

[quote name='spider' post='162401' date='Mar 23 2008, 09:31 PM']I use an Ashdown Mini 48 (4x8).
Don't know how much it weighs (not a lot).[/quote]

Crikey! you must have arms like arnnie's, i had one a few years ago and had to keep reminding myself in case i put my back out lifting the thing. My EA iAmp combo is the same very small but surprisingly heavy, in fact i am thinking of moving it on as i have killed my back. ( Don't worry rich not due to the amp).

I am starting to get interested in lightweight gear some thing like the Markbass F1 built into a small combo + an extension cab would be idea, can you imagine how little a 12" markbass F1 combo would weigh?

[quote name='BassBunny' post='160191' date='Mar 19 2008, 12:14 PM']Chris,
That was MY choice. I am not that keen on Neo's, (Nor is Bill F apparently and he doesn't suggest using Neo's in the Omni 10). I find them a bit too mid-biased. In the end I have what I want, which is a lightweight set-up but a degree of warmth to the bottom end. Don't get me wrong, it can chuck out the mids with the best of them, but does not have a mid bias.
Mike's intention was to use Neo's in his design, but after hearing the result of this particular set-up, he may have second thoughts. That said, if you want them, you can have them. I chose not too, just personal preference.

They are rated at 350W RMS per Cab into 8 Ohms, (I think that is a conservative estimate as the drivers are capable of handling 500W RMS).
Price wise, speak to Mike but he assures me these were made for me at a price he could sustain which is £259 and £225 depending on with/without a tweeter.[/quote]

These cabs sound interesting, do they have a website?

[quote name='flip' post='167423' date='Apr 1 2008, 09:01 AM']These cabs sound interesting, do they have a website?[/quote]
Not as yet.
Best bet is to speak to Mike direct. He is now concentrating full time on building Basses and Cabs and has taken an extra pair of hands to speed up the production of sawdust.
Last time I spoke to him he was building some stock for the London Show, (as well as a super light compact 1x15 Cab for myself).
I am really pleased with my cabs and our guitarist remarked at the week-end, "What the hell do you want a 1x15 for. There is loads of bottom end on those cabs."
Simple answer is that I can sell everything else and have the ultimate compact/lightweight set-up.

[quote name='david_l_perry' post='163537' date='Mar 26 2008, 08:39 AM']You are a [i]little [/i]late to the party with that snippet of information... ;)

Neo drivers have been being used by Bass cab manufacturers and DIY bass cab manufacturers for a number of years. They have pretty much become the standard for PA cabs also due to the massive weight savings.

I don't think I would consider anything else these days...[/quote]

Thanks for the tip dude... I only became aware of them about 4 years ago when I organised trade account with Eminence UK distributor...

But just goes to show you that not everyone is as enlightened as yourself :huh:

Must be the unextracted solder fumes arresting my development... even more than usual... or the guitarist in me...

:)

Edited by male33lancs

• 3 weeks later...

Prototype complete:

[url="http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=13344&st=80&start=80"]http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=...80&start=80[/url]

Not sure on the weight but it's lighter than my 4U shallow rack which contains a 21lb amp and a 7lb preamp - somewhere under 40lbs?

Alex

• 3 weeks later...

Hey, im new here but want to ask and ad info.

I use a Behringer 180 watt head with a 2X10 GK Goldline cab.

Basses are an American fender deluxe jazz and a 4003 Rickenbacker, 4 strings.

I ordered the Little mark 2 head and am wondering how the GK 2X10 will handle the head.

Any body know?

Im thinking about getting the Mark Bass 2X10 Traveler cab, I noticed a poster below who says no good?

What abot it?

For what it's worth, and having read quite a lot and tried quite a lot, I think I am now entirely satisfied with my rig!
I can't imagine changing unless there is some super-new technology that comes my way!

I've ended up with an Aguilar GS212 cab with a Mark Bass LMK head. My fave bass through it is my MM Stingray 3EQ which has basically made my Jazz and P redundant. It is an excellent compromise that returns the sound I want in a variety of shaped rooms. The cab (which is near enough two GS112's in one box - but lighter) is on wheels which aids mobility and doesnt make any disernable difference to sound (I keep removing the wheels to try both ways!).

I can fit it all in my XK convertible hood up or down which is an additional bonus! I'd recommend the set-up to all and I can't imagine you would be disappointed. Hope this adds to the mix of ideas!
Simon.

Edited by Huggy and the Bears

[quote name='Huggy and the Bears' post='198044' date='May 13 2008, 03:26 PM']I've ended up with an Aguilar GS212 cab with a Mark Bass LMK head. ................ I'd recommend the set-up to all and I can't imagine you would be disappointed. Hope this adds to the mix of ideas!
Simon.[/quote]

I have tried this settup (actually 2 GS112 cabs) with the LMK and it is an awesome combination. Probably the better of the lighter 1x12 cabs that I have tried....

Dave

• 4 weeks later...

[quote name='Sugden' post='4154' date='May 22 2007, 02:42 AM']Second thumbs up for the markbass 2x10 102HF. Love mine its great think I'll be keeping this cab what ever head i put with it. Great weight and kicks a punch. I wouldn't mind having a 1x15 with it but only to move more air and raise it off the ground. It holds its own nicely good low end response I think. I think its a good balance for lightweight cabs and volume.[/quote]

Hi, I have a Markbass STD 1x15 for sale. Just thought I'd let you know. It's as new and I want £350 cash for it or a swop for a 2x10 like yours. Cheers - Tony

• 2 weeks later...

Last night I finished the first of my lightweight cabs - this is a one-off for Mr Russ but it uses the same speakers and construction as my other designs, just different box proportions to match his Markbass 2x10". Unfortunately I don't have a set of scales - hopefully Russ does, so we can find out quite how light it is!

[url="http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=13344&view=findpost&p=222449"]http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=...st&p=222449[/url]

Alex

• 1 month later...

The first of my production models has been finished! More info here: [url="http://www.barefacedBass.com"]http://www.barefacedBass.com[/url]

Just weighed it and it's actually a mere 32lbs or 14.5kg. Not bad for a high output 15" that can hang quite comfortably with all but the loudest drummers (at our last gig there was no PA support for the backline or drums and I noticed on the recording that when we were at our loudest during one of the solo sections I was almost drowning out my drummer despite him going for in a huge Vistalite Bonham-style kit!).

Alex

• 4 weeks later...

I have run my Mark Bass 102 HF 2x10 for about a year now.

Very nice indeed, very light -- and as others have said a 2x10 is capable of getting very low indeed. Bit of synth and chorus and the 'Deeper Underground' thickness is right there.

Very nice cab indeed.

I am in 2 minds whether to get a Mark Bass 15 to go with it - or another 2x10 and have a cab each side of the drums...

[quote name='fretmeister' post='272422' date='Aug 29 2008, 12:04 PM']I have run my Mark Bass 102 HF 2x10 for about a year now.
I am in 2 minds whether to get a Mark Bass 15 to go with it - or another 2x10 and have a cab each side of the drums...[/quote]

A pair of 2x10's stacked will be far better than splitting them...splitting your bass cabs is not a good idea, placement is everything with low freq's

Even better is stacking them vertically , gets the cabs a little higher (nearer your ears) and the drivers will work better alligned that way...of course others may think this is all conjecture..... :)

Is the 2x10 an 8ohm cab, or 4ohm...if its 4ohms you may have problems with a second cab...

Dave

• 4 weeks later...

I was wondering what would best replace the current setup:

Custom JB going into Pod X3 Live (no amp modeling used) going into Trace Elliot GP7 150 with an Ashdown Mag410T

Im happy with the trace but the Ashdown is a backbreaker. I need something lighter, and not necessarily 4x10".
I would ideally like something about the same size but lighter or just a bit smaller but maintaining balls.

I'm playing Queens of the Stoneage like music.

[quote name='markytbass' post='293176' date='Sep 26 2008, 11:36 PM']Now that my back has gone (again) I have decided it's time to get a lighter rig. Can anyone tell me how a 2x10 compares to a 1x15 tone wise etc? I am looking to get something around 200w and 20kg or less.[/quote]

TBH there are plenty of 2x10s out there that will give you as much bottom end as many 1x15s. I've never understood the fixation (for want of a better word) with using 15s to get 'more' bottom end. Unless you are talking specially designed 15s (a la Mr Clabber) or folded horns, 10s can go as low as 15s (in the real world, not manufacturers statements) and transient response is 'generally' better. I'd go for a good 2x10 over a 15 any day... saying that I'm using 1x12s as a compromise to 2x10s :) flick back through the thread there are plenty discussed.

[quote name='MuseMatt' post='293213' date='Sep 27 2008, 12:30 AM']I was wondering what would best replace the current setup:

Custom JB going into Pod X3 Live (no amp modeling used) going into Trace Elliot GP7 150 with an Ashdown Mag410T

Im happy with the trace but the Ashdown is a backbreaker. I need something lighter, and not necessarily 4x10".
I would ideally like something about the same size but lighter or just a bit smaller but maintaining balls.

I'm playing Queens of the Stoneage like music.[/quote]

There are LOADS of alternatives and you'll get the full range of advice from the Tech 4x10 through Epifani 3x10 via EBS 2x12 and no doubt Markbass, Zoot, Aguilar, Warwick, Genz Benz and a shedload of others will be mentioned :huh:

No disrespect but I think pretty much anything mentioned in this thread so far would trump your Ashdown Mag for weight and tone BUT your 'tone' is very specific to you and what I consider good tone could be very different to anyone else!

<edit for link>

In the sale section...

[url="http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=28012"]http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=28012[/url]

[url="http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=27959"]http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=27959[/url]

These would more than suit either of your needs!

Edited by warwickhunt

[quote name='markytbass' post='293381' date='Sep 27 2008, 02:30 PM']Cheers, I have one of the old SWR Workingmans 15 combo at the mo which isn't over heavy but is awkward to lift/carry. When my Trace Elliott broke down some years ago I was left with a 1x10 extension cab and a Carlsbro Stingray 100w head I can't remember how it sounded but it did the trick.[/quote]

Mate Only viewing your name you definately go for this one [url="http://www.markbass.it/products.php?lingua=en&cat=3&vedi=41"]http://www.markbass.it/products.php?lingua...t=3&vedi=41[/url]

This combo is the best for the size 13kg and bottom end with vle filters. You can add later a cab 2x10 traveller to shake down the house. This amp is the best value for money in the market i think.. :)

• 1 month later...

[quote name='drthirkenstein' post='323162' date='Nov 6 2008, 03:07 AM']in my experience neo speakers cant produce any where near the same levels of low frequency as the heavy buggers. as a general rule the heavier your equipment the better it sounds! besides its character building![/quote]
neo cones have a slight mid hump to them. Its probably that emphasis that you're hearing rather than a lack of anything else.

[quote name='drthirkenstein' post='323162' date='Nov 6 2008, 03:07 AM']in my experience neo speakers cant produce any where near the same levels of low frequency as the heavy buggers. as a general rule the heavier your equipment the better it sounds! besides its character building![/quote]

Maybe in your experience but your experience is clearly too limited! This cab can produce far more low frequency output than any non-neo cabs of similar size let alone weight:

[url="http://barefacedbass.com/thebigone.html"]http://barefacedbass.com/thebigone.html[/url]

Alex