Why become a member? ×

The Lightweight Cabs Thread

lukeward2004

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

[quote name='bassmayhem' timestamp='1368216392' post='2074664']
This setup sounds really good too:

I have a "test week" with two TKS D212 cabs and my Eden WT1205. This setup sounds sooo good. The cabs has 2x12" and a tweeter each.
They are lighter than the 2126 at some 50 lbs each, you can carry a cab with one hand without a problem.
[/quote]
I tested the D212 and the D2126 cabs side by side today. The D212 is really good, the D2126 is KILLER. I ordered one direct.
The cab has somewhat lower efficiency, but sounds so well, just like a big studio monitor. Two 12" woofers and a 6" mid woofer, no tweeter!
I also ordered it with a look reminiscent of 65Amps: Black tolex box, crème tolex front frame and 50's Fender brown-ish cloth (over a metal mesh).
Pic's will come...

Been using these two Bergantino AE212's for a while with the Epifani 902 amp... very light but really powerful.
Each of those cabinets can be carried in one hand so really easy to handle... 900 W in 4ohms so the two connected with the Epifani and you have the full 1800 W.
Haven't found better cabs since I own these..

[URL=http://s162.photobucket.com/user/wombatboter/media/VERSTERKER-1.jpg.html][IMG]http://i162.photobucket.com/albums/t247/wombatboter/VERSTERKER-1.jpg[/IMG][/URL]

Hi guys. I recently went with this Markbass Traveler 102P cab. Light weight cab, well made, with Neodymium 10" speakers. The Markbass Little Mark Tube 800 is a small package with a big pay off too.

the Traveler 102P cab:
[color=#666666][font=Georgia, Arial, Verdana][size=3][left]WEIGHT[/left][/size][/font][/color]
[color=#020202][font=Georgia, Arial, Verdana][size=3][left]33 lbs / 15 kg[/left][/size][/font][/color]
[color=#666666][font=Georgia, Arial, Verdana][size=3][left]WIDTH[/left][/size][/font][/color]
[color=#020202][font=Georgia, Arial, Verdana][size=3][left]23.4 in. / 59.4 cm[/left][/size][/font][/color]
[color=#666666][font=Georgia, Arial, Verdana][size=3][left]HEIGHT[/left][/size][/font][/color]
[color=#020202][font=Georgia, Arial, Verdana][size=3][left]13 in. / 33 cm[/left][/size][/font][/color]
[color=#666666][font=Georgia, Arial, Verdana][size=3][left]DEPTH[/left][/size][/font][/color]
[color=#020202][font=Georgia, Arial, Verdana][size=3][left]17 in. / 43.3 cm[/left][/size][/font][/color]

[color=#020202][font=Georgia, Arial, Verdana][size=3][left]the Little Mark Tube 800 head[/left][/size][/font][/color]
[color=#020202][font=Georgia, Arial, Verdana][size=3][left]WEIGHT[/left][/size][/font][/color]
[color=#020202][font=Georgia, Arial, Verdana][size=3][left]6.31 lbs / 2.86 kg[/left][/size][/font][/color]
[color=#020202][font=Georgia, Arial, Verdana][size=3][left]DEPTH[/left][/size][/font][/color]
[color=#020202][font=Georgia, Arial, Verdana][size=3][left]10.1 in. / 25.6 cm[/left][/size][/font][/color]
[color=#020202][font=Georgia, Arial, Verdana][size=3][left]WIDTH[/left][/size][/font][/color]
[color=#020202][font=Georgia, Arial, Verdana][size=3][left]10.87 in. / 27.6 cm [/left][/size][/font][/color]
[color=#020202][font=Georgia, Arial, Verdana][size=3][left]HEIGHT[/left][/size][/font][/color]
[color=#020202][font=Georgia, Arial, Verdana][size=3][left]2.8 in. / 7.1 cm[/left][/size][/font][/color]

[IMG]http://i.imgur.com/kzvRvys.jpg?1[/IMG]

• 1 month later...

[size=4][b]I recently changed out to the Markbass: Mini CMD121P Combo / Markbass: NY121 cab. I like the sounds from the 2X12 setup. 500 Watts with the cab running off the Combo. 28 Pounds for the cab, 29 pounds for the Combo. [/b][/size]

Edited by gsgbass

I should really add something to this thread, as it's what made me aware of [url="http://www.tks.se"]TKS Engineering[/url],

Out outcome is that I got these, and couldn't be happier:

10kgs(!), ceramic drivers, steel grille under the cloth, and incredibly reasonably-priced.

They're voiced very 'old school' which suits me (there are other lightweight cabs in the TKS range that have bigger lows), but a pair of them has all the authority I need, while a single cab gives me all I need for smaller gigs.

[url="http://basschat.co.uk/topic/212014-tks-engineering-112-cabs-new-to-the-uk-review"]Here's a thread with the full story...[/url]

[quote name='boonster' timestamp='1377198985' post='2184756']
does any one have views on markbass traveller cabs, i'm considering getting 2x10 and 1x15 powered by the markbass little mark iii
[/quote]

I had a pair of the 2 x 10 traveller cabs and a littlemark II. That was a superb little rig and loud enough for any of my gigs.

I would recommend that rather than mixing the cabs - buy either a pair of 2 x 10s or a pair of 1 x 15s, whatever you prefer. I would still go down the 2 x 10s route though.

Frank.

• 1 month later...

[quote name='alexclaber' timestamp='1205776970' post='159070']
I should probably point out that I'm on a mission to build the ultimate lightweight bass cab - more details over here:

[url="http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=13344&st=40&start=40"]http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=...40&start=40[/url]

Alex
[/quote]

Sorry but I couldnt resist it, do you think you will succeed ;) :)

• 4 weeks later...

Just as a reference note, I took a look inside my (3 years old, rat-fur) NEOX-212T and the screws are sticking out through the wood, and I see bits of foam stapled in the ports. Didn't check if there's any indication where the cab was built.

While it may not be that pretty, of course it makes absolutely no difference on the cab's sonic performance. And, arguably, the screws may hold a little more firmly than shorter ones. I'm still delighted with the cab, even at the full price which i paid!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

[quote name='chillbass' timestamp='1386154699' post='2296389']
Nobody talked about my [url="http://www.chillbass.fr/fr/produits/item/baffle-n2-fr"]NEO [/url]serie? :(

lighter than some, heavier than other.. But good tone!
[/quote]
Salut! Ton site en VA ne marches pas pour moi.

• 2 weeks later...

[quote name='Lazybirdpete' timestamp='1389722636' post='2337243']
Anyone played the new Acoustic Image contra S4? I'm thinking in terms of double bass playing jazz. Any opinions? How important do people think the lack of on board effects area d the fact that it has only one channel?

Pete
[/quote]

Haven't tried it, but with db you might find two channels pretty useful if you mean to experiment with mic/piezzo combinations.

I'm sure if you post this in the db section you'll get good info on the amp. :)

• 1 month later...

It's a few years ago now, but when I got a decent rig stack (Warwick Pro IX 900) I initially got the classic 4x10 an 1x15 to go with it, regular cabs and they weighed a fricking ton.

Traded both, plus an old 2x10 8Ohm trace cab (which was useful, but also very heavy) for 1x15 and 4x10 Warwick NEO cabs, which I really rate. I've replaced a 10 inch driver but otherwise they're solid as (I have a 250w 1x15 CCL for small gigs).

The tone is good, they're not small cabs (the 15 is a cropped cab, short) but they're one-hand luggable and the horns have great sparkle when required.

• 2 months later...

I just picked up a SWR Golight Marcus Miller 4x10 ...... 56 lbs according to the specs. Marries up quite nicely with my PF800 or any of the other amps I have running. I will say that Neo's have a bit of a different "voicing" but overall, I'm happy with the tones I'm getting out of this cab (and my lower back thanks me) .... :)

• 1 month later...