Why become a member? ×

The Lightweight Cabs Thread

lukeward2004

[quote name='notable9' post='95669' date='Nov 28 2007, 04:21 PM']Davebass5

Hi,
Dont suppose that Epiphani 2x12 is for sale?
Note[/quote]

Sorry, not any more. I feel out with it just after i first got it but ive got used to it now and really like it.

I would invite you round to try it but its never at home these days.
Its a very nice cab though.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi , this is probably a dumb question but i am assuming that the reason that all these cabs are so light is because they are made from some sort of of moulded subtance (plastic) and not heavy marine ply as in days of old. I assume that the components i.e speakers/magnets/coils are still top quality and the sound reflects this.
cheers
Al

[quote name='Al.B' post='102749' date='Dec 11 2007, 03:41 PM']Hi , this is probably a dumb question but i am assuming that the reason that all these cabs are so light is because they are made from some sort of of moulded subtance (plastic) and not heavy marine ply as in days of old. I assume that the components i.e speakers/magnets/coils are still top quality and the sound reflects this.
cheers
Al[/quote]

Not quite. they are made of light but stronger wood but its the lightweight drivers that make a big difference.
For example, the 12" drivers in my UL212 i can hold with two fingers without bending them (just) . try that with a normal 300Watt driver and you are likely to hurt something.

[quote name='Al.B' post='102749' date='Dec 11 2007, 03:41 PM']Hi , this is probably a dumb question but i am assuming that the reason that all these cabs are so light is because they are made from some sort of of moulded subtance (plastic) and not heavy marine ply as in days of old. I assume that the components i.e speakers/magnets/coils are still top quality and the sound reflects this.
cheers
Al[/quote]

Not quite. Lightweight wood. Neodymium magnets. This is what Epifani say:-

"Combining superior performance, and less weight than a traditional bass instrument cabinet, Epifani Ultra Light cabinets have become the standard of excellence in bass cabinet design since their inception just a few short years ago. Made from uncommonly strong yet lightweight Italian Poplar, the UL Cabinets employ an internal bracing design that would make a traditional cabinet too heavy for 1 person to handle. This material allows for a sturdier cabinet construction, more precise cabinet tuning and further reduces sound-damaging resonance.

Loaded with high performance neodymium drivers built to demanding specifications specifically for Epifani, the cabinets are tuned to reveal the true nature and nuance of your instrument's character. Even the crossovers are made from the highest quality components - the best polypropylene capacitors, 18 gauge inductors and sealed 1/4" phono/Neutrik SpeakOn connectors. The cabinets are finished in heavy-duty fabric and protected by high-impact plastic corners for years of sustained use and abuse."

Thanks guys i guess what i was getting at was that lighter doesnt mean inferior and less robust. It's a long time since i bought some new cabs and it's good to do your homework before you do. Not all inventions live up to their name so it's nice to hear what others think. i guess i'm naturally cynical.
cheers
Al.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

[quote name='Hamster' post='27273' date='Jul 4 2007, 11:35 PM']Are we going a little OT here? - The Epifani 6x10 cab weighs in at 92lbs - a lightweight cab???

Hamster[/quote]

Sorry Hamster! Totally missed your post! - Blimey! Quite a while ago too! My UL-610 weighs 35Kg, so in comparison to the likes of the Hartke 4.5XL (4x10) and the Ampeg 4x10's that weigh in at around 45Kg+ , I think with my 6x10 being over a thrid larger and 10Kg lighter, it's safe to go in the lightweight category lol. A child can lift it.. honestly ;o)

• 2 weeks later...

[quote name='MacDaddy' post='118660' date='Jan 11 2008, 04:30 PM']Hi guys, I'd be interested in hearing what the physical condition of your cabs is like, now they have all been well-gigged.

How have they coped with been thrown in the back of vans etc. Have they all stood the rigours of the road?[/quote]

Mine is still new and hasn't been abused yet. Infact, it has been so molly-coddled, I dont think there's a hair out of place on it :)

I've been using my pair of Tech Soundsystems 2x12's for 2 years, around 150 gigs plus some rehearsals. The only damage they've suffered is to the feet (rubber 'rings' rather than solid feet) which are showing minor signs of cracking, and the plastic cap-cover on the tweeter knob has fallen off. Oh, and a minor scratch on one of the grills. The corner protectors, carpet cover and grills remain dent and tear free.

I don't have roadies (I wish!) so load them into my car myself and take a more than reasonable amount of care when carrying them in and out. It's hard to guage how they'd live up to a tougher environment - on the one hand mine seem pretty resilient, but because they're so incredibly light they feel somehow less substantial which may just be an unfounded psychological fear!

• 3 weeks later...

Am looking to downsize and am liking the spec of the GK 112MBX. ANyone got a view? I play mostly jazz w a bit of Latin and a rare function gig. My big concern is warmth over crystal clarity. Could be with an SWR Electric BLue or GK MB150S

Anyone got any experience of these wee fellas?

[quote name='bilbo230763' post='134351' date='Feb 5 2008, 02:31 PM']Am looking to downsize and am liking the spec of the GK 112MBX. ANyone got a view? I play mostly jazz w a bit of Latin and a rare function gig. My big concern is warmth over crystal clarity. Could be with an SWR Electric BLue or GK MB150S

Anyone got any experience of these wee fellas?[/quote]
I have used one but, to be honest, while the amp on its own is ok the cab is very limited and disappointing. Sonically, an Epifani UL110 beats it by miles. In my opinion any of the current crop of 112 cabs, Aguilar, Epifani, GK etc wipe the floor with it.
I am waiting for the Bergantino AE112 to arrive. If that is not what I want then I'm getting the UL110.

• 4 weeks later...

This has been a useful thread for me, as I seek a very light cab for using with my 'quiet band' (5 piece, with drums, but playing original semi-acoustic/soft rock/jazz). I tried an Epiphani UL-110 in the Bass Gallery, and was duly impressed. However, in this thread, the GK 112 MBX has come to my attention. On paper, the GK is more appealing:

Price:EPI £340/GK £229
Weight: EPI 22 pounds/GK 16 pounds

Theoritcaly, the GK would be sufficiently loud enough for me, as I would use it for monitoring, and D.I. in to the P.A.

So my friends, I'd value any of your insight that may influence my decision.

Edited by Born 2B Mild

[quote name='Born 2B Mild' post='148346' date='Feb 28 2008, 12:15 PM']Just looked at the Tech website. The 1x10 and 1x12 are candidates. Where can you buy them from?[/quote]

Don;t forget that 'Tech' no longer exist and are now called TecAmp. I don't know of any UK TecAmp dealers - they used to be distributed by the Bass Merchant, but he now produces his own range of cabs. [url="http://www.basscenter.de"] Bass Centre Germany[/url] might be able to help - they have some Tech gear still in stock and also stock TecAmp stuff.

I use Genz Benz Neox cabinet in the 2 X 12" form.

Great cab, light and portable. Love the sound too, projects really well.

Owned for two years now, and has stood up to gigging very well.

The twin handles on the top corner make for lifting in and out of vans/cars very easy.

Spec here: [url="http://www.genzbenz.com/?fa=detail&mid=1436&sid=426&cid=96"]http://www.genzbenz.com/?fa=detail&mid...=426&cid=96[/url]

Greg :)

• 3 weeks later...