Why become a member? ×

Modulus Fleabass FU5

horrorshowbass

1 hour ago, FDC484950 said:

Probably not much like a Stingray given it has twin single coils? I always thought the classic FU was a single Humbucker in the MM position. Also a shame it’s not the big metal flake finish - still hanker after one of those :)

Sorry, specifically meant this one.

https://reverb.com/item/53572780-modulus-flea-bass-5-strings-fb5-aka-funk-unlimited-2001-black

The front pickup thing is an abomination so would be going stock MM. Also has upgraded obp3 pre and Delano (upgrade?) pickup.

Thanks

2 hours ago, horrorshowbass said:

Sorry, specifically meant this one.

https://reverb.com/item/53572780-modulus-flea-bass-5-strings-fb5-aka-funk-unlimited-2001-black

The front pickup thing is an abomination so would be going stock MM. Also has upgraded obp3 pre and Delano (upgrade?) pickup.

Thanks

The classic Flea Bass / Funk Unlimited sound is basically the sound of the Lane Poor MM pickup, which has a very distinctive punchy-yet-hollow tone, so this one won't sound like Flea on Californication or Kettle Whistle. 

Delano make great pickups, and I'd be interested in hearing what this one sounds like. Having a mid control would make a big difference. 

1 hour ago, Russ said:

The classic Flea Bass / Funk Unlimited sound is basically the sound of the Lane Poor MM pickup, which has a very distinctive punchy-yet-hollow tone, so this one won't sound like Flea on Californication or Kettle Whistle. 

Delano make great pickups, and I'd be interested in hearing what this one sounds like. Having a mid control would make a big difference. 

Thanks Russ.

Beginning to think an SR5 would be a better all round bass

35 minutes ago, horrorshowbass said:

Thanks Russ.

Beginning to think an SR5 would be a better all round bass

There is a "legacy" range of Lane Poor pickups (Lane Poor himself has long since retired - not even sure he's still alive), but they are only produced in small numbers and are quite sought-after and lead times are quite long. I think Modulus actually buys most of them.  

I believe Bartolini produce an MM pickup to the Lane Poor specs as well, but they're special order only. 

1 hour ago, Bunion said:

I had an FU 4 with an original lane poor in it it was a lively beast didn’t sound like my stingray at all. 
punchy as hell with 18V obp1 

Nice, this has an obp 3, not sure why he went Delanos but. Might need to buy both for proper comparison

10 hours ago, horrorshowbass said:

Heard varying reports (sounds great, too sterile etc)...

I love this "too sterile" thing. It tells nothing about the bass sound, but I think there has to be some reason to this "too expensive, has to be bad" talk. 

Find an older Modulus Sonic Hammer. It has bartolini, and I suppose the sound cannot be "sterile"...

52 minutes ago, itu said:

I love this "too sterile" thing. It tells nothing about the bass sound, but I think there has to be some reason to this "too expensive, has to be bad" talk. 

Find an older Modulus Sonic Hammer. It has bartolini, and I suppose the sound cannot be "sterile"...

Yep my Sonic Hammer was far from sterile for sure 👍

I've had 3 differing Fleas over the years and have researched them to within an inch of their funky little lives. It's my all time favourite bass. Hope this may be of some use!

1st - 2004 with Seymour Duncan P/U and Aguilar preamp. It sounded the most 'electronic' of the 3, with a very edgy synthy tone. The most like Fleas 'live' sound if you will. It always sounded so 'funky' for want of a better word.

2nd - 1997 with an Original Lane Poor P/U and Bartolini Pre-amp. This bass was all about being clean. With deeper Bass and higher highs, but no 'nasty-ness' in it, so to speak. The body shape was cut differently too. It was a tad thicker, front to back, but had a larger cutaway on the rear.

3rd (and current)- 2004 with Seymour Duncan Pickup and Bartolini preamp. Bit of a nasty edge and quite clear sounding, but, the Bartolini Pre-amp is not for me, so, it is currently being completely gutted out and having a full EMG system (for s*** and giggles). It's also got the Hipshot bridge. Which is the best of the the three bridges that came with the Flea (others being the Badass and Gotoh).

In my opinion as someone who's owned a few, don't get hung up on needing a Lane Poor for his tone. It's a nonsense. They all sound like a Flea Bass and ALL will nail that Californication/By The Way/Live era sound. The tone is in the neck and the preamp dictates whether you want some nasty edge to your tone, or a cleaner option.

That said, the Lane Poor WAS my favourite pickup. It was definitely picking up more of the freq spectrum. It had a certain depth to the lows the SD didn't have. 

The tone isn't remotely sterile either. That's just b******. Roll back that treble and you get all the warmth you need - I use my Flea in a band that has a tonne of Motown songs! People mistake clarity for sterility - totally different things.

Enjoy. They're iconic basses with the most individual tone I think there is. You can't hide playing one!

Here's a pic of the Lane Poor equipped one, and then my current one in Blue.

FB_IMG_1655853197344.jpg

Edited by 40hz
  • Like 2

17 hours ago, Russ said:

Imo, the tone is in the neck. Rolled back to that bridge Humbucker, it'll sound very close.

Just had another look at the advert.

"I think all these mods add a lot of value to the bass"

Respectfully, no. They've devalued it. How much is this likely to be with import tax? It's a good price at £1500, as those horrible mods can be reversed. But, if it ends up being closer to £2000, I wouldn't touch it. Just wait until a clean one comes along. They seem to hover around the £2500 mark in the UK.

Edited by 40hz

5 hours ago, 40hz said:

Imo, the tone is in the neck. Rolled back to that bridge Humbucker, it'll sound very close.

Just had another look at the advert.

"I think all these mods add a lot of value to the bass"

Respectfully, no. They've devalued it. How much is this likely to be with import tax? It's a good price at £1500, as those horrible mods can be reversed. But, if it ends up being closer to £2000, I wouldn't touch it. Just wait until a clean one comes along. They seem to hover around the £2500 mark in the UK.

HI @40hz

thank you so much for your info, this is why I love basschat.

Agreed on the "mods", plan was to tell him to keep the extra pickup etc and offer based on that. I'm in Europe so import tax won't be issue.

Thanks again

Michael

16 hours ago, horrorshowbass said:

Yeah was talkbass so sterile was taken with a truckload of salt

Not sure I'm getting what you mean there?

EDIT: Got it, mind was elsewhere when I read it first time around 👍

Edited by Beedster

14 hours ago, 40hz said:

I've had 3 differing Fleas over the years and have researched them to within an inch of their funky little lives. It's my all time favourite bass. Hope this may be of some use!

1st - 2004 with Seymour Duncan P/U and Aguilar preamp. It sounded the most 'electronic' of the 3, with a very edgy synthy tone. The most like Fleas 'live' sound if you will. It always sounded so 'funky' for want of a better word.

2nd - 1997 with an Original Lane Poor P/U and Bartolini Pre-amp. This bass was all about being clean. With deeper Bass and higher highs, but no 'nasty-ness' in it, so to speak. The body shape was cut differently too. It was a tad thicker, front to back, but had a larger cutaway on the rear.

3rd (and current)- 2004 with Seymour Duncan Pickup and Bartolini preamp. Bit of a nasty edge and quite clear sounding, but, the Bartolini Pre-amp is not for me, so, it is currently being completely gutted out and having a full EMG system (for s*** and giggles). It's also got the Hipshot bridge. Which is the best of the the three bridges that came with the Flea (others being the Badass and Gotoh).

In my opinion as someone who's owned a few, don't get hung up on needing a Lane Poor for his tone. It's a nonsense. They all sound like a Flea Bass and ALL will nail that Californication/By The Way/Live era sound. The tone is in the neck and the preamp dictates whether you want some nasty edge to your tone, or a cleaner option.

That said, the Lane Poor WAS my favourite pickup. It was definitely picking up more of the freq spectrum. It had a certain depth to the lows the SD didn't have. 

The tone isn't remotely sterile either. That's just b******. Roll back that treble and you get all the warmth you need - I use my Flea in a band that has a tonne of Motown songs! People mistake clarity for sterility - totally different things.

Enjoy. They're iconic basses with the most individual tone I think there is. You can't hide playing one!

Here's a pic of the Lane Poor equipped one, and then my current one in Blue.

FB_IMG_1655853197344.jpg

I've played a few - an older, original one with the LP, and a couple of newer ones, one with the Seymour Duncan MM pickup, and a 5-string with Bartolini MM/J pickups. Only the old one sounded to my ears like the recorded tone on the RHCP records. The other two sounded great - the SD-equipped one had a little more of a high-mid bitey Stingray vibe, and the Bart-equipped MM/J 5-string was clear and warm, but didn't sound much like the others. It was probably my favourite one out of all of them, to be honest, it had the most "balanced" tone. 

I have yet to own one though, so I defer to your experience in terms of how they work in a band context. I'd love a 5-string, like the one I tried.