Why become a member? ×

1982 Fullerton-era USA Precision Bass. Immaculate with original packaging and accessories - *SOLD*
£1500
Cleethorpes

Skinnyman

Thanks to everyone for the interest shown in this. It’s now sold and gone to a happy new owner!

I’m selling my 1982 Fender USA Precision Bass.

It’s Olympic White with maple neck and fretboard and is in immaculate condition (see below for the reason why!).

The bass has quite an unusual history.

I bought it in 2015 from @darbiter who, when I picked it up, told me that his family used to have a music business in London and that this was a bass that his dad (or grandad, I can’t remember which) had taken to use with his band. I got the impression that this was a last-minute, need-a-bass-for-a-gig-tonight, spur-of-the-moment kind of thing. Whatever the reason, the bass didn’t do many gigs before it was put away (under a bed, apparently) and was forgotten about until they came to have a clear out, discovered it and put it up for sale.

The bass still has the original factory packaging along with the thumb rest, pickup and bridge covers (which have never been fitted). I only gigged the bass a few times before I got the Jazz which became my main gigging bass and the P was then used exclusively at home. A couple of years ago I got hold of a heavily discounted set of Fender Vintage ’63 pickups. I fitted them to see what they sounded like and ended up leaving them on the bass because they sound really good. The original pickups are included of course so the bass can easily be returned to original factory condition.

The bass weighs 10.2 lb on my digital scales, is nicely balanced and sounds phenomenal.

I did a little research when I got back home and discovered that Dan’s family, the Arbiters, were significant figures in the UK music scene throughout the sixties and seventies and, in addition to owning the Sound City music store (amongst others), designing and selling their own range of guitars, fuzzboxes and amps (and designing the drop-T logo for the Beatles), were also the official distributors for CBS Fender products from the mid-seventies.

So this is a Fullerton-era Precision bass that was the personal bass of by either Ivor or John Arbiter and which has remained unused for years until I bought it. I doubt the provenance makes any significant difference to the price but it’s part of the instrument’s history and should be recorded. It also explains why it’s in such good and original condition.

(Dan’s original advert is still on the site, along with a helpful discussion about the serial number. Sadly, the pictures no longer load - apparently there were a few which showed the date stamp inside the neck pocket which dates this to 1982). I'd rather not take the bass to bits at this stage but if serious buyers want pictures of the neck pocket and wiring harness please PM me.

As you can imagine, I’m reluctant to send this by post so would much prefer collection or a handover in person. The bass is available to try out here in leafy Lincolnshire or there’s a good chance I’ll be able to arrange to deliver/meet - please drop me a PM to discuss options.

Please note: I'm struggling to know how to value this - given the condition and originality, I've tried to pitch it at what I think is a fair price for a Fullerton-era Precision but if I'm wildly out then I'm hoping that the BC collective will be able to help me get to a more informed valuation!

Pictures below...

DSC_1114.thumb.JPG.5c7f3eca2a0ac9650a0e2c4766901e17.JPG

DSC_1115.thumb.JPG.03db0cbaffada0563910c757d0b67711.JPG

DSC_1116.thumb.JPG.7eb819822f0f8922e7d8de414796ca21.JPG

DSC_1117.thumb.JPG.bce8cc9d268930eee71fbf2180f96aae.JPG

DSC_1118.thumb.JPG.56e56d83626cb43c864d9041239fb63a.JPG

DSC_1120.thumb.JPG.60d84000bc80156bc72d3d5a512101a2.JPG

DSC_1126.thumb.JPG.34c30a556ecab783cb1ae9b982d55c94.JPG

DSC_1127.thumb.JPG.e969e113c3c6d1228c707d8b277821ca.JPG

Edited by Skinnyman
Pictures
  • Like 12

In the interest of full disclosure I should mention that when taking the pictures, I noticed that on the outer edge of the lower horn there is a small area where the paint is a slightly different shade. My guess is that this was caused by the early morning sun just catching that one part of the bass.

You can see the slightly lighter patch in the photo…

A1BDFCD1-FAFB-4A41-BF41-9D785FCDD709.thumb.jpeg.fbacf9accef5cebda540f520c138db32.jpeg

Edited by Skinnyman
Picture added
  • Like 1

That.....is a thing of beauty!

I want it.... I NEEEEEDS IT ...well I need the dosh first I suppose*.  

As an aside from the drooling ... My first "proper" bass was an Arbiter Ric copy that I purchased new in 1974 ( I think) it was ace!

GLWTS

* If it's still hanging around at the end of July, when I get my pension lump sum, I might well be winging my way to Cleethorpes!

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Skinnyman said:

I’m selling my 1982 Fender USA Precision Bass.

It’s Olympic White with maple neck and fretboard and is in immaculate condition (see below for the reason why!).

The bass has quite an unusual history.

I bought it in 2015 from @darbiter who, when I picked it up, told me that his family used to have a music business in London and that this was a bass that his dad (or grandad, I can’t remember which) had taken to use with his band. I got the impression that this was a last-minute, need-a-bass-for-a-gig-tonight, spur-of-the-moment kind of thing. Whatever the reason, the bass didn’t do many gigs before it was put away (under a bed, apparently) and was forgotten about until they came to have a clear out, discovered it and put it up for sale.

The bass still has the original factory packaging along with the thumb rest, pickup and bridge covers (which have never been fitted). I only gigged the bass a few times before I got the Jazz which became my main gigging bass and the P was then used exclusively at home. A couple of years ago I got hold of a heavily discounted set of Fender Vintage ’63 pickups. I fitted them to see what they sounded like and ended up leaving them on the bass because they sound really good. The original pickups are included of course so the bass can easily be returned to original factory condition.

The bass weighs 10.2 lb on my digital scales, is nicely balanced and sounds phenomenal.

I did a little research when I got back home and discovered that Dan’s family, the Arbiters, were significant figures in the UK music scene throughout the sixties and seventies and, in addition to owning the Sound City music store (amongst others), designing and selling their own range of guitars, fuzzboxes and amps (and designing the drop-T logo for the Beatles), were also the official distributors for CBS Fender products from the mid-seventies.

So this is a Fullerton-era Precision bass that was the personal bass of by either Ivor or John Arbiter and which has remained unused for years until I bought it. I doubt the provenance makes any significant difference to the price but it’s part of the instrument’s history and should be recorded. It also explains why it’s in such good and original condition.

(Dan’s original advert is still on the site, along with a helpful discussion about the serial number. Sadly, the pictures no longer load - apparently there were a few which showed the date stamp inside the neck pocket which dates this to 1982). I'd rather not take the bass to bits at this stage but if serious buyers want pictures of the neck pocket and wiring harness please PM me.

As you can imagine, I’m reluctant to send this by post so would much prefer collection or a handover in person. The bass is available to try out here in leafy Lincolnshire or there’s a good chance I’ll be able to arrange to deliver/meet - please drop me a PM to discuss options.

Please note: I'm struggling to know how to value this - given the condition and originality, I've tried to pitch it at what I think is a fair price for a Fullerton-era Precision but if I'm wildly out then I'm hoping that the BC collective will be able to help me get to a more informed valuation!

Pictures below...

DSC_1114.thumb.JPG.5c7f3eca2a0ac9650a0e2c4766901e17.JPG

DSC_1115.thumb.JPG.03db0cbaffada0563910c757d0b67711.JPG

DSC_1116.thumb.JPG.7eb819822f0f8922e7d8de414796ca21.JPG

DSC_1117.thumb.JPG.bce8cc9d268930eee71fbf2180f96aae.JPG

DSC_1118.thumb.JPG.56e56d83626cb43c864d9041239fb63a.JPG

DSC_1120.thumb.JPG.60d84000bc80156bc72d3d5a512101a2.JPG

DSC_1126.thumb.JPG.34c30a556ecab783cb1ae9b982d55c94.JPG

DSC_1127.thumb.JPG.e969e113c3c6d1228c707d8b277821ca.JPG

I has one in the same colour and year with the white pickup covers, sold it just a shade less than yours so you are not too far off the mark , great basses GLWTS 

• Thanks 1

On 21/06/2022 at 16:55, Chris Horton said:

Does this bass have the original case etc?

It doesn’t, I’m afraid. I got it in the original polystyrene and cardboard packaging which are moulded to the bass itself which makes me think that it didn’t have a hard case originally.

Dan had advertised it with a gig bag but I’m not sure if it was original to the bass or just a generic gig bag - I ended up not taking it, largely because I forgot!

The accessories are all present and correct - user guide, pick-up cover, etc.

I have it in a generic hard case which is included in the sale.

Edited by Skinnyman
Clarification

• Skinnyman changed the title to SOLD: 1982 Fullerton-era USA Precision Bass. Immaculate with original packaging and accessories