Why become a member? ×

Amp footswitches...

uk_lefty

A bit of a Noddy question but here goes. I'm assuming that any simple four button footswitch with a jack connection will work on my incoming Ashdown ABM?  The new price for Ashdowns own FS4 seem very steep for what the pedal actually is so I'm looking for alternatives. I'm also thinking of going to someone like Bright Onion and seeing what they can do. As far as I can see it's just four simple on/ off switches connected to the amp by a jack lead. I can see footswitches by the likes of Fender sometimes have additional functionality so I've ruled those out. I'm just hoping that something simple, compatible and reasonably priced comes up soon on classified ads. Just wanted to check my thinking first...

According to this post over on talkbass there is a circuit board inside the FS4 that handles some of the switching logic, normally each footswitch needs 2 connections to activate the switch so the most that a 1/4" jack can handle is 2 footswitches (one common and 2 switched connections on a stereo plug)  for 4 button footswitches it either needs a multi-pin connection or some kind of switching circuit in the pedal, Ashdown seem to have taken the latter approach, as the cable is only 2 pole.

Unfortunately for your wallet the only option is to buy the Ashdown FS4.

Matt

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Matt P said:

According to this post over on talkbass there is a circuit board inside the FS4 that handles some of the switching logic, normally each footswitch needs 2 connections to activate the switch so the most that a 1/4" jack can handle is 2 footswitches (one common and 2 switched connections on a stereo plug)  for 4 button footswitches it either needs a multi-pin connection or some kind of switching circuit in the pedal, Ashdown seem to have taken the latter approach, as the cable is only 2 pole.

Unfortunately for your wallet the only option is to buy the Ashdown FS4.

Matt

Just about to say this.

Easy way to spot - if the amount of things that can be switched exceeds the connections on a stereo plug then the footswitch is doing more than just connecting and disconnecting things and is actually sending product specific instruction signals.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, BassBunny said:

"the magic happens on the circuit board inside the pedal"

I had no idea there was any complexity to it. How stuff works isn't my thing.

Thanks everyone, I'm glad I asked before buying a load of second hand rubbish off eBay that wouldn't be useful.

• Like 1