Why become a member? ×

New cabs - wiring requirements

anzoid

After an age just using a small combo, I'm about to take possession of a couple of Warwick Gnome 1x10 cabs, each rated at 150W. They'll be powered by an as yet unpurchased amp - probably 200-300W max, so a little one.

I'm planning on getting some custom cables made - speakon one end, jack or speakon the other depending on the amp I end up with.

Looking at customs cables... I can have 2×1.5mm²,2×2.5mm², 4×2.5mm² or 2×4mm² cores.

I have no clue as to which would be sufficient and/or worth getting.

Advice very much appreciated from those who know their cables!!

1 hour ago, Bill Fitzmaurice said:

I've never used larger than 14 gauge. 16 gauge is sufficient with the short length of an amp to cab lead, but since I always have 14 gauge on hand for use with PA that's what I use.

So 14 guage is 2.0mm in our money. So bang in the middle of 1.5 and 2.5mm. Personally I'd go for 2.5mm and Speakon both ends, assuming the amp and cabinets can accommodate speakons.

I may actually have some from clearing out a shed load of cables.

I used 12swg for my speaker cables mostly because after installing my landscape lighting I had many off cuts left over.  I also agree with only using SpeakOns. 1/4" Phone jacks just can't safely handle much more than a couple of hundred watts. They also can short out the amplifier if pulled part way out of the socket.

I switched all of my equipment to SpeakOns years ago and have never regretted the move.

Edited by BassmanPaul

Thanks for all the advice! Very much appreciated. I'll definitely look for an amp with SpeakOn jacks - it's kind of annoying that the super-mini amps I'm interested in tend towards jack sockets :( 

@BassBunny - thanks for suggesting cables from your clearout :D I'm thinking of making my own - not exactly rocket science but fancy having a go!

23 hours ago, itu said:

The overhead is there for a reason. When the cable ages, some of the copper may be cut by twisting and bad coiling. 2 x 2.5 mm2 should be enough for most applications.

If the copper is damaged like this, there is something very wrong with the cable.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, agedhorse said:

If the copper is damaged like this, there is something very wrong with the cable.

...or the user. I have seen quite a few cables twisted to their limits. Or coiled to their limits. User faults.

• Like 1