Why become a member? ×

Ernie Ball Cobalts Rust

garyt

Does anyone else have a problem with Ernie Ball cobalts rusting?
I bought a set recently.  3 gigs in and there are 2 patches which look like surface rust.  I tried wiping it off, but no luck.  I got another gig out of them, but am going to have to bite the bullet and change them, but a set of strings for 4 gigs! 
My son uses cobalts on his guitar and seems to get rust as well on the lower strings. 

13 hours ago, fretmeister said:

They did have this problem several years ago but I thought it had been solved. I wonder if you managed to buy new, old stock?

Might be worth an email to EB's UK people.

I might try that.  I’ve been using Cobalts on and off for a few years and never has this problem before.

I thought it might be a reaction to some peoples sweat as my son’s cobalts on his guitar always go rusty fairly quickly (fk knows why he keeps using them). 

I had the same issue with these strings for a set I bought around a year ago but barely used.

Ernie Ball weren't interested and suggested I 'wipe down the strings' and buy another product of theirs - I've never had it with any other set, even after several years...

Good Morning,

Thank you for providing this information and photographs for us to assess. Unfortunately, due to age of the set of strings, Ernie Ball will be unable to offer a replacement set. The only advice we could offer is to thoroughly wipe down the strings after being played by using a string cleaner such as;

https://ernieball.co.uk/guitar-accessories/guitar-instrument-care#P04277

Edited by d_g

I bought another set (despite past experience) thinking that I'd inspect them when I open them and get a refund if they're rusty (I have found that they arrive rusty and don't get worse as I play them). Happy to report they look fine; it might be my imagination but the wrap appears tighter too. I really do like the sound of them on a stingray...

• 2 months later...
On 01/07/2022 at 16:19, ped said:

I bought another set (despite past experience) thinking that I'd inspect them when I open them and get a refund if they're rusty (I have found that they arrive rusty and don't get worse as I play them). Happy to report they look fine; it might be my imagination but the wrap appears tighter too. I really do like the sound of them on a stingray...

We’ll three months later they’re properly rusty after very light home use. Sort it out Ernie ffs

Email reply from Ernie Ball:

"If the bass set was rusted/corroded when you opened a new packets this would be considered a defective set. However, if the rust has developed corrosion from playing then this would not be considered a defective item"

Who are they trying to kid?! 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I have had sets of extra slinky (45-95) cobalt flats on two vintage pro thunderbirds for at least a couple of years and they're still in perfect condition on both basses.

I use fast fret or Dunlop ultraglide 65 string conditioner regularly, so if the issue isn't isolated to specific batches, that *might* be the answer to prevent corrosion appearing.

1 hour ago, Jean-Luc Pickguard said:

I have had sets of extra slinky (45-95) cobalt flats on two vintage pro thunderbirds for at least a couple of years and they're still in perfect condition on both basses.

I use fast fret or Dunlop ultraglide 65 string conditioner regularly, so if the issue isn't isolated to specific batches, that *might* be the answer to prevent corrosion appearing.

They did suggest buying some of their Wonder Wipes but honestly the strings were rusty in areas I hadn't even touched, I was worried about tetanus. Perhaps they don't like the air in York! I'm glad they work for you though. 

• 1 month later...

Jeepers I’ve literally  just posted elsewhere about how good I find EB cobalt flats…. Honestly, 8 years my last set were on never once had any problems a deffo not rust. 
new sets been on 6 months now and now rust there either…

maybe I got lucky? 
maybe they’re prone to certain types of sweat/grease etc ? 

strange…

Edited by Wonky2
  • Like 1

21 hours ago, Wonky2 said:

Jeepers I’ve literally  just posted elsewhere about how good I find EB cobalt flats…. Honestly, 8 years my last set were on never once had any problems a deffo not rust. 
new sets been on 6 months now and now rust there either…

maybe I got lucky? 
maybe they’re prone to certain types of sweat/grease etc ? 

strange…

I’ve only had the one set of what looks like rust.  I probably over reacted, because there were only a couple of patches.  I have another set on my other bass and they’ve been fine. And never had a problem before. 
My son used to get loads of rust on his guitar cobalts, so probably is they’re prone to certain types of sweat/grease.

You are probably less at risk with flats .

1 hour ago, garyt said:

I’ve only had the one set of what looks like rust.  I probably over reacted, because there were only a couple of patches.  I have another set on my other bass and they’ve been fine. And never had a problem before. 
My son used to get loads of rust on his guitar cobalts, so probably is they’re prone to certain types of sweat/grease.

You are probably less at risk with flats .

Could be…. I’ve tried others and I come back to these cobalts, good job they last a good while cos man alive they ain’t cheap now

I’ve only tried the rounds once… no rust for me but think well before putting them on anything with a maple board… turned quite black!

They sounded utterly phenomenal - just too aggressive for the context of the five piece band somehow. If my little three piece starts up again I’ll likely throw them on a bass with a rosewood board and live with a bit of staining, coz like @HazBeensays the sound really is worth it!

• Like 1