Why become a member? ×

Amp / Cab combination for live gigs

Guest BassAdder27

Folk who know me on here are aware I have 

Ashdown ABM600 with two ABM210H compact cabs ( nice rig )

Ampeg V4 B plus SVT212AV ( great rig )

Orangel Little Bass Thing ( back up amp )

Ok so if I was looking to thin the herd and minimise my cab stock which rig would you change and why ? 

im happy with all of them but aware not all work with each other ie SVT212AV is 4ohm the two ABM210H are 8 ohms each 

Practicality of transported rig in large car is a consideration ( cant get all three cabs in as example ) 

Typical gigs pubs, clubs and outside events 

Not tried the V4B with the Ashdown cabs so not sure if that would sound better than the SVT212AV cab ? 

The V4B is amazing and definitely a keeper ! 

Edited by BassAdder27

28 minutes ago, Pea Turgh said:

Take them out on the next gig then!  2x 8ohm cabs will present a 4ohm load to the amp, no?

I think next rehearsal is a better plan and hear how they fair 

The two Ashdown cabs sound very good with the ABM600 head so I would imagine the V4B would sound good too. 

Hi BassAdder, another "need to know" is what the ABM600 sounds like through the SVT212 cab.

The amp that will cover amost any volume needs is the ABM, so for me that would have to be a keeper. If it were me, I'd only want to keep the Ampeg cab, or the pair of ABM cabs. Lightness, tone and power handling all come into the equation. Those Ashdown cabs weigh an absolute ton, considering they are "only" a 2x10. Seems to me like the Ampeg 2x12 would cover all your needs, including higher volume gigs, with the ABM, when required. Its not a lightweight cab, but at least its only one almost 30kg cab, instead of two.

You have some nice problems. Very first world problems !

1 hour ago, hamfist said:

Hi BassAdder, another "need to know" is what the ABM600 sounds like through the SVT212 cab.

The amp that will cover amost any volume needs is the ABM, so for me that would have to be a keeper. If it were me, I'd only want to keep the Ampeg cab, or the pair of ABM cabs. Lightness, tone and power handling all come into the equation. Those Ashdown cabs weigh an absolute ton, considering they are "only" a 2x10. Seems to me like the Ampeg 2x12 would cover all your needs, including higher volume gigs, with the ABM, when required. Its not a lightweight cab, but at least its only one almost 30kg cab, instead of two.

You have some nice problems. Very first world problems !

Indeed, a dilemma choosing  gear for the right job. The ABM600 sounds good through the SVT212AV cab but the two Ashdown cabs stacked are higher and easier to hear on stage. 
As you say both cabs are weighty but the SVT212AV is one lift only instead of carrying in two cabs. 
The best I guess would be two SVT212AV cabs ( both with the V4B ) or one with the ABM600 

I would seriously consider keeping the ABM600 and replacing all the other cabs with a Barefaced Supertwin. It’s the ultimate one cab solution. IMHO. 
It’s what I used at a festival this Saturday (mine’s a 500 though). 

8D77A826-3A9A-46B9-9AC6-44D5BC41A061.thumb.jpeg.f0c1d33efc2a828523566148ae7941e6.jpeg

• Like 3

Honestly, I would probably just keep all of the cabs if space is not an issue. If pushed came to shove I would probably get rid of the Ashdown cabs. 

Nothing wrong with Ashdown cabs, but from experience in rehearsal rooms and gigs I really like the combination of Ashdown heads and Ampeg cabs. The Ampeg 2x12 just looks really cool so I would be wary of selling that especially if I owned the matching valve amp. At 600 watts it really should have more than enough volume for gigging. 

50 minutes ago, pbasspecial said:

I would seriously consider keeping the ABM600 and replacing all the other cabs with a Barefaced Supertwin. It’s the ultimate one cab solution.

+1

Your three amps through a Super Twin will sound like three different rigs.

• Like 1

On 21/06/2022 at 02:50, hamfist said:

And will  sound completely different to through your current cabs. You may not like it. 

Unless you're in the real big leagues where you get to demand a mic on your cab, in the case of needing FOH you're better off with a cab that doesn't colour the sound so much. Enter Barefaced 12's with compression driver or tweeter, but even the bare 12 is supposed to be reasonably flat response. 

On 21/06/2022 at 07:52, BassAdder27 said:

Now you’re talking 👍

Two of those in the classifieds at the moment. Once people digest the price rise on new they will be gone. In the meantime they could as well be painted yellow as they are going cheap. One is a nifty seafoam green if that floats your boat.

10 minutes ago, Downunderwonder said:

Unless you're in the real big leagues where you get to demand a mic on your cab, in the case of needing FOH you're better off with a cab that doesn't colour the sound so much. Enter Barefaced 12's with compression driver or tweeter, but even the bare 12 is supposed to be reasonably flat response. 

Yes, without the tweeter it’s still pretty flat but rolls off at I think either 4K or 6K, so easily managed on mixer EQ 

I find playing through an ampeg cab, any head sounds like an ampeg. 

Playing through an ashdown cab anything sounds slightly dull and nondescript, but in a good way.

What I'm getting at is both cabs are coloured and both designed to work as a unit with their respective heads.

I've been down the barefaced route (210s, super compact, super twin) and to be honest it just didnt do it for me. The rigs sound best complete to me.

Edited by la bam
  • Like 1