Why become a member? ×

What do you wish-that-you-knew what-you-know-now, when you were younger?

đŸ€“a.k.a. share your brain & save others some pain

One revelation for me, a very light picking hand often gives a better tone (the quintessential sound of whatever it is you're playing - clearer, more balanced across frequencies, more consistent across strings, more detail... beautiful đŸ„°)

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, Cat Burrito said:

Good players who say they don't practice are not strictly speaking being honest. You HAVE to practice at some point or you won't get better.

I knew a guy years ago who was frighteningly good on the bass, when asked how long he’d been playing he  said “oh about 6 months” 

Turns out he’d been having lessons for years since childhood but had only been playing In a band for 6 months đŸ˜‚đŸ€Ł

• Haha 1

Train your ears. That trumps everything else.

After that, learn the notes that make up different chords and figure out where they are on your fretboard; most people think that they've got both of those things covered, but few rarely do.

Oh, and gear doesn't really matter.

• Like 7

• 2 weeks later...

Amps, combos and speakers may be lighter now, but I should have just kept that Trace combo I had nearly 30 years ago.

It never let me down, always sounded great, and was always loud enough for any gig (indoor, outdoor, festival. 

TBH all that tone chasing over the years has been a waste of money.

Although fun :)

• Like 2

Sometimes success is just down to luck, and there's nothing you can do about it. 

Look after your ears 

(ok so I've just realised this is the technique part of the forum, and thats not really technique advice, sorry ) 

Look before you post.  👀

Edited by Buddster
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 5 weeks later...

Time machine 10 mins to younger self...

You don't know it all, but you do know something, do NOT meet or work with musicians you admire, you will be disappointed, cheated, and lied too, stop drinking excessively, you do not behave in a cultured fashion and you should've probably bought the Alembic Spoiler or that Wal as they were both under a grand. That Band Muse that had a card up in Mansons, looking for a Bassist, yes the name is not catchy, but you really ought to take the number down and jam/audition for them.

Fenders, are your best friends onstage.

LEARN TO SIGHT READ... and LEARN other spoken languages.

All the Vinyl in the world is meaningless when you could be earning from playing Bass. Put the money in a better place.. (same with the booze cash) SCHOOL...Education first, along with live playing... use the best gear you can afford. Anybody can be 'Scene' but the goalposts change.... 

You are going to need therapy.

It's not you, It is them... 

SHUT UP a touch more often.

SPEAK UP a touch more too.

Edited by ARGH
More ideas
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...