Why become a member? ×

Incredible Bands You've (possibly) Never Heard Of!

binky_bass

In the two years or so of working from home, I've gone down a few musical rabbit holes and have 'discovered' a number of bands that are eye-openingly, incredibly good. A few of the best are below, with an album suggestion should you choose to listen to them (I've also put on of my favourite songs from each album in brackets if you just want a taste!) I would say if you do listen to any of the below, do try and listen to the full album as some don't begin with the best songs... 

Toehider - I Like It (Concerning Lix and Fairs)

Caligula's Horse - Rise Radiant (Salt)

Haken - The Mountain (Atlas Stone)

Artificial Language - The Observer (Unself Portrait)

Moron Police - A Boat On The Sea (The Phantom Below)

Vola - Applause From A Distant Crowd (Alien Shivers)

Voices From The Fuselage - Odyssey: The Founder Of Dreams (Via)

Symphony X - Underworld (Nevermore)

All of these albums are absolutely outstanding for different reasons, but all do walk a similar line in terms of genre. 

If you have a bit of spare time, give some of these a listen, to me they represent exactly what I love about music (a hugely subjective statement), maybe you'll enjoy them too!

Edited by binky_bass
  • Like 7

I saw Vola support Devin Townsend at the RAH - deliberately didn't listen to them beforehand either.

I was blown away - they are properly good, proof that you don't need to play fast to be heavy.

These Black Claws is a track I particularly like 👍 

Edited by BreadBin
  • Like 1

I've found quite a few and many are to suit the more discerning metal head but there's one with a wider appeal who stand our, Hey Colossus.

My favourite of their songs  is The Mirror which features vocals by Mark Lanegan on the Dances / Curses album.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, SteveXFR said:

I've found quite a few and many are to suit the more discerning metal head but there's one with a wider appeal who stand our, Hey Colossus.

My favourite of their songs  is The Mirror which features vocals by Mark Lanegan on the Dances / Curses album.

As a discerning metalhead, please list some. Unbelievably Krisiun have been a recent discovery for me.

Not sure whether it fully fits the brief, as it feels like about 95% of metal bands are unheard of by more than about 1,000 people. Still, my shout is Boss Keloid (from Wigan no less) with the oddly titled 'Melted on the Inch'. There's a great live playthrough on their YouTube channel which I almost prefer to the actual album mix...

• Like 2

This is one of my favourite albums -  beautiful, instrumental, cinematic post-rock from Australia.

Each of the songs is inspired by a failed journey, which is a tribute to their singer who committed suicide between their debut and this record

They're playing at Damnation festival in November for their first show in the UK and I can't wait

13 hours ago, Marvin_ said:

Not sure whether it fully fits the brief, as it feels like about 95% of metal bands are unheard of by more than about 1,000 people. Still, my shout is Boss Keloid (from Wigan no less) with the oddly titled 'Melted on the Inch'. There's a great live playthrough on their YouTube channel which I almost prefer to the actual album mix...

I love that band. Gutted I missed them last time they played Scotland. Their new album is really good too. 

Another one to add is Anyone (album of the same name). Taylor Hawkins from Foos used to jam with Riz Story (lead singer/guitarist of Anyone) waaaaay back in the day before he drummed for Alanis Morissette.

If I had to describe this band I'd say they are Psychedelic Prog Rock/Metal-esque... 

Edited by binky_bass