Why become a member? ×

Dead string possible fix

Sparky Mark

Today I removed the neck of my Reggie Hamilton jazz to adjust the truss rod. I had to remove a relatively new set of SS Dunlop Super Bright as well. Upon restringing the A string is emitting a strange fizz/buzz which sounded like a loose bridge spring, but it wasn't. The A string was also dead. I've had this problem before with new strings but this one was good and zingy minutes before.
I loosened the string to allow the ball end to find its untwisted position in the bridge and retuned; still dead.
So the outer winding is rattling on the core wire is my conclusion. Next I loosen the string and twist it in the direction of the wind allowing the ball end to spin in the bridge. Once I can feel the string is tight, 3 to 6 twists, I tightened the string without letting the ball spin back. Hey presto, the zing is back. This method seems to remove the slack between the core and the winding that can occur during stringing.
It's worth a try if you hear the same on a new set

Edited by Sparky Mark
  • Like 2