Why become a member? ×

I Hate Gigging II

Bluewine

7 minutes ago, martthebass said:

Think I'm of a like mind to you on this Dave.

The Glam Band I'm in could probably do 3x the work we do but over time we've spent more time looking at better venues (not always the best paying) and reigning in the distance per gig as much as sensible.  In terms of cash, none of us are 'bread-heads' but with recent increase in expenses (especially fuel) we have had to start taking a pragmatic view on gig prices even if this is at the expense of the number of gigs.  Sadly for pubs there is generally an upper limit (which is why I guess we are doing more function/club work now) but if it's out of our normal area we sometimes end up pricing ourselves out of the market to keep to a sensible £/person after expenses.  

The punk band are just happy to gig as long as fuel and a chippie expenses are covered but its just great fun. 

Glam band on the other hand had a keys player that wouldn't play a gig for less than £1k. When we bumped him we decided to redress our fee and since restart after pandemic we have taken a fair bit less to help clubs and venues get back on their feet again. Fuel costs are definitely having an impact and long distance gigs are now going to be discussed more and fuel costs taken into account. Any gigs we've agreed to end of the year we will honour but need to look at increases for 2023. 

I know its just a hobby for me but i dont want to be playing for nothing anymore. I want the cost of fuel and food covered with some cash left over for my pocket.

Dave

Dave

• Like 2