Why become a member? ×

I Hate Gigging II

Bluewine

On 18/06/2022 at 17:51, OliverBlackman said:

I’ve never really loved the music I have gigged and I think that’s one of the reasons I decided all the other sacrifices were too much. If I could play arenas once a week with a sh*t hot big band and a luxury tour bus picks me up and drops me off I reckon I’d be all for it.

I thought all you guys do arena and stadium shows. 😀

Blue

• Haha 3

8 hours ago, Bluewine said:

It's a little surreal loading my bass into my car at age 68 and you think back realizing you were doing the same thing on a Friday or Saturday night when I was 16.

Thanks for sharing your story.

Blue

With age comes repetition i'm afraid. :laugh1:

Big difference for me is the cabs are a lot lighter. 

Dave

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Bluewine said:

It's a little surreal loading my bass into my car at age 68 and you think back realizing you were doing the same thing on a Friday or Saturday night when I was 16.

Thanks for sharing your story.

Blue

Yep, at 15 I was wearing Dr Martens & Fred Perrys and playing bass in punk bands.

Fast forward 40 years and there has been zero development/progression, still wearing DMs & Freds, still playing bass in punk bands.

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

On 18/06/2022 at 10:48, Old Horse Murphy said:

I'm totally the opposite and have a well-paid permanent job that allows me to use music as a release from a stressful working week. 

Same here.

Getting paid is not really particularly important as long as we're not being mucked about or put to any inconvenience. Relaxing in an armchair with a beer would be my preferred Friday night activity, so if I'm to give it up then things need to go smoothly.

What's always caused problems in the past are gigs where the venue staff view the band as an annoyance and/or have caused extra nuisance, e.g. one venue where they didn't want musicians getting in the way of the punters by loading or unloading during the event so insisted we dropped our kit off the night before and stored it on their site at our own risk then picked it up the day after. Oh, and no parking on site for loading for the likes of us; park in the street half a mile away and carry all the gear was the order.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

2 hours ago, knirirr said:

Same here.

Getting paid is not really particularly important as long as we're not being mucked about or put to any inconvenience. Relaxing in an armchair with a beer would be my preferred Friday night activity, so if I'm to give it up then things need to go smoothly.

What's always caused problems in the past are gigs where the venue staff view the band as an annoyance and/or have caused extra nuisance, e.g. one venue where they didn't want musicians getting in the way of the punters by loading or unloading during the event so insisted we dropped our kit off the night before and stored it on their site at our own risk then picked it up the day after. Oh, and no parking on site for loading for the likes of us; park in the street half a mile away and carry all the gear was the order.

I'd have to say NO to that venues request to store gear in their premises at my risk. Too much money in our gear to leave lying around. I dont even leave the car unattended when loading or unloading. My wife stays with the car at all times. If she's not with me the band members take turns staying with the vehicles while others load / unload etc.

Dave

• Like 5

On 18/06/2022 at 04:48, Old Horse Murphy said:

I'm totally the opposite and have a well-paid permanent job that allows me to use music as a release from a stressful working week. 

Am I less committed to the bands compared to someone who earns money as a primary source of income from gigging? I'd say no. In fact, I've found quite the opposite in some instances, whereby the musicians who consider themselves "professional' as it is what they they use as their main job are often a bit more sniffy, often derogatory about certain gigs than other members.

I think depending on gig money like me is dangerous. However, I'll make $500.00 bucks this weekend from two gigs.

I apologize if I've come across like I'm completely dependent on gig money. I'm not. I have a pension, however gig money is a significant supplement.

Here in the States allot of retired guys work part time retail jobs to supplement their pension. I could never make $500.00 from 6 hours of working in a store.

Blue

• Like 8

15 minutes ago, Bluewine said:

I think depending on gig money like me is dangerous. However, I'll make $500.00 bucks this weekend from two gigs.

I apologize if I've come across like I'm completely dependent on gig money. I'm not. I have a pension, however gig money is a significant supplement.

Here in the States allot of retired guys work part time retail jobs to supplement their pension. I could never make $500.00 from 6 hours of working in a store.

Blue

It's becoming increasingly the case over here too, Blue. If you check out a lot of the big supermarkets there's a significant portion of grey hairs working now. Some do because they want to and others because they simply have to. If I'm in a position to supplement my pension by playing in bands I'd do exactly the same too. 

More power to you 👍

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, Bluewine said:

Blue

I'm finding this too. Now that i'm retired the additional income is coming in very handy especially with rising inflation and fuel cost over here.

Now circa £2 / litre of fuel. That's £9 / gallon. 

We are going to increase our fee from start of 2023. Cant change already confirmed gigs.

Dave

• Like 2

14 hours ago, dmccombe7 said:

I'm finding this too. Now that i'm retired the additional income is coming in very handy especially with rising inflation and fuel cost over here.

Now circa £2 / litre of fuel. That's £9 / gallon. 

We are going to increase our fee from start of 2023. Cant change already confirmed gigs.

Dave

Unfortunately we booked all our summer and fall gigs before the gas prices went up.😒

Blue

• Like 1

11 hours ago, blisters on my fingers said:

Good to hear from you Blue

Always enjoyed your perspective from over the pond

Thanks Blisters

I'm running out of topics. I might post some thoughts on sound and lighting.

Blue

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Old Horse Murphy said:

It's becoming increasingly the case over here too, Blue. If you check out a lot of the big supermarkets there's a significant portion of grey hairs working now. Some do because they want to and others because they simply have to. If I'm in a position to supplement my pension by playing in bands I'd do exactly the same too. 

More power to you 👍

I'm 68 and even standing up performing for 3 hours is a challenge. No way could I work a 6 hour retail shift stocking and waiting on customers.

Blue 

• Like 1

On 20/06/2022 at 02:12, dmccombe7 said:

With age comes repetition i'm afraid. :laugh1:

Big difference for me is the cabs are a lot lighter. 

Dave

I haven't found any bass amps I'd consider light. I'm actually thinking about going the Kemper route with their stage floor model and go direct into the PA.

Blue

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Bluewine said:

I haven't found any bass amps I'd consider light. I'm actually thinking about going the Kemper route with their stage floor model and go direct into the PA.

Blue

My Mesa cabs are circa 20Kg each. The Handbox WB-100 all tube amp i'm waiting on is around 15Kg so all reasonably lightweight compared to the behemoth monsters of 70's.

My Mesa Mpulse in its rack is 24Kg but the Handbox comes in its own case at 15Kg. They also do tube pe-amp / Solid state power section hybrid versions at a very reasonable weight a lot less than their all tube WB-100.

The Mesa Subway series are pretty impressive too.

Some of the lightweight hybrid GK amps look good. Did look at a 2nd hand Fusion 550 that fascinated me being one set of controls but twin channel. When you select the other channel the controls move to their preset values. All quite reliable gear too.

Dave 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Bluewine said:

Does it need to be somethign as complicated as a kempler, not maybe just a DI box like the radials and straight in the PA, then you are talking putting it in the bass pocket.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, dmccombe7 said:

My Mesa cabs are circa 20Kg each. The Handbox WB-100 all tube amp i'm waiting on is around 15Kg so all reasonably lightweight compared to the behemoth monsters of 70's.

My Mesa Mpulse in its rack is 24Kg but the Handbox comes in its own case at 15Kg. They also do tube pe-amp / Solid state power section hybrid versions at a very reasonable weight a lot less than their all tube WB-100.

The Mesa Subway series are pretty impressive too.

Some of the lightweight hybrid GK amps look good. Did look at a 2nd hand Fusion 550 that fascinated me being one set of controls but twin channel. When you select the other channel the controls move to their preset values. All quite reliable gear too.

Dave 

Nice gear. I rotate several GK heads with the old GK  RBX cabs. The cabs are like carrying an air conditioner.

Our guitarist went Kemper. He walks into gigs with guitar in one hand and the Kemper in his back pack.

IMG_20220622_114543.jpg

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Woodinblack said:

Does it need to be somethign as complicated as a kempler, not maybe just a DI box like the radials and straight in the PA, then you are talking putting it in the bass pocket.

Maybe, The Kemper is complicated and they're not cheap. $1,700.00

Blue

Like everyone here, I have gigged a lot since I was 17. Mainly covers bands and some tribute stuff. 

Now I concentrate on 80s stuff, both as a duo and occasionally a full band.

I'm nearly 54 and have held down a full time job my whole life. I only play gigs I want to now. If the venue is dodgy/ rough etc I won't go back.

I try to only gig once a week now, that way the gig gets my full energy, I sing all this 80s stuff and it's harder than you think

Last weekend I did back to back gigs, both at venues I love. I was shattered yesterday because of it. I have 9 gigs coming up in July, mostly back to back at the weekends, it will be exhausting but fun. The duo is well paid, minimum 100 quid each, often free drinks too and we don't travel too far either. The band always gets minimum 75 quid each or it simpy won't play (as the duo is more lucrative) but the band has a couple of well paid things coming up.

I don't need the money but my duo partner does as he is a full time muso (he teaches too). I mostly spend it on eating out at the weekends (lunch whilst walking my dog, Olive, with my wife) or general shopping.

During lockdown 1, I thoroughly enjoyed the time off. Not loading, unloading, worrying about my voice etc.

As I get older, I am enjoying what I do more than ever, because I am a bit choosier 

Rock on people😀

• Like 4

I'd love to get back into a gigging band. 

What puts me off is trying to find others who have a similar outlook as myself. Basically,  because I've been out of the loop for some time, the only people available are those who would pay to play at the opening of an envelope. Not really for me.

• Sad 1

20 minutes ago, Marvin said:

I'd love to get back into a gigging band. 

What puts me off is trying to find others who have a similar outlook as myself. Basically,  because I've been out of the loop for some time, the only people available are those who would pay to play at the opening of an envelope. Not really for me.

I found when i got abck into playing 12 yrs ago that many guys had that approach including myself. As the band progressed the attitudes changed and went through stages of 

1. would play for nothing and at short notice

2. would only play if they broke even

3. would only play for a minimum fee

4. started looking for better paying venues

Not saying everyone has that outlook but i did find that attitude change with 2 different bands 10-12 yrs ago.

Is it possible to find an existing, gigging band that's looking for a new bass player ?

Think you may have mentioned before about the lack of musicians in your area which is always gonna be a hurdle.

My bands are both well spread out.

New guitarist in Glam band is 75 miles and 1:30hrs from me. Takes approx 1hr to 1:30hrs for us all to get to rehearsals in Glasgow. 

Cant remember how far you are form main towns etc.

I use FB, Join My Band, Bandmix, Gumtree to find other musicians altho both bands i'm currently in have been word of mouth thru friends.

Dave

• Like 1

My sax ensemble is scattered over a wide area that's nearly a hundred miles across: a guy near Wrexham, me in Shropshire, a guy in the Peak District, two guys over Liverpool way, a guy up by Oldham, and two around Stockport... Apart from the Stockport two, everyone else has an hour's drive to get to our rehearsals (we meet not far from Manchester airport).

• Like 1

I'm currently on the lookout for a new band (we lost 35+ gigs for the year a month or so back (long story), and the BL/Singer/Geetarist has gone solo (I can't blame him, he can make twice the money going out on his own with a couple of very small PA speakers, his acoustic and a mic)), and even though I have a decent day job, the loss of the gig money has been noticeable.

Unfortunately, most of the contacts I've made so far (admittedly through the Secure Unit-Level Delusional places like bandmix and joinmyband) are nowhere near as focused on getting out there to gig for decent money as I am. This new band will probably not be with old friends, etc, and while I'm no misanthrope, and can get on with almost anybody, it won't (at least to start, hopefully) be the main focus of the band. I could have joined a couple of bands (in fact I did join one that fizzled out two rehearsals in), but the 'Yeah, we'll get out gigging at some point' attitude isn't what I'm looking for, and seems to be the norm...one of the questions I now ask is 'Have you guys got a PA?', and again, 'Erm, not yet, but we're thinking about it' is a very common answer. That does save time going to auditions, tho...

On Topic, tho, I'll gig more or less anything I'm capable of in a band that's focused on gigging, it just seems to be hard to find one like that right now.

Oh, and Blue? You might want a look at a Helix Stomp as an alternative to a Kemper - I've been using one a while now, and when I can (at shared gigs with PA for example) I just show up with the Helix and my bass, and still sound like me...they're a shedload cheaper than a Kemper, and with a bit of work and compromise, you could replace your pedal board with it, too...

Hardly gigged at all in months, hence few posts from me recently as they are mostly in the 'how was your last gig' section. Gone from being persuaded a few years back to join a 3 piece to do bike festivals in the summer along with my already existing band (who werent gigging much either) to being nudged into dropping the main band in favour of the trio which got quite busy then the pandemic hit and we've never really picked it back up. Main singer/gtr had a financial issue and late last year said after next months gigs he'd been advised by his accountant to keep a low profile so couldn't see it carrying on. I then worked out my priorities and decided I'd be jacking it in then as well.

Subsequently the PA gear that the singer/gtr sold off has been replaced by new gear. I believe he unexpectedly came into some new money from a bereavement and he's constantly posting on his FB page about the solo gigs he's doing (he's always done this as a sideline but said he was getting very bored of it and preferred the trio). The drummer has now joined a second band as he wasnt happy with the low number of gigs, despite him saying how many gigs he could find for us, we've hardly done any biker stuff apart from 1 venue. It's become totally disfunctional and not remotely the set up I was originally asked to join (I was personally approached, didn't audition for it or was looking for it).

In truth my personal circumstances have changed a lot since I joined the band (met a wonderful lady last year and things have got very serious very quickly, we're not kids so time is of the essence) and I really don't have the time for the band just now and won't be looking for a new band once I stick to my original plan and leave at the end of July.

I think the other 2 guys will probably bring in a replacement and keep the band going in some form whilst predominantly doing their other stuff. The trio has become a sideshow and I'm not bothered about it anymore, time to move on. I will probably be moving over 200 miles away in the next year or two so no point commiting to any local bands at this point, maybe look around for something once I'm settled elsewhere with my partner.

Edited by KevB
  • Like 2

4 hours ago, dmccombe7 said:

I found when i got abck into playing 12 yrs ago that many guys had that approach including myself. As the band progressed the attitudes changed and went through stages of 

1. would play for nothing and at short notice

2. would only play if they broke even

3. would only play for a minimum fee

4. started looking for better paying venues

Not saying everyone has that outlook but i did find that attitude change with 2 different bands 10-12 yrs ago.

Is it possible to find an existing, gigging band that's looking for a new bass player ?

Think you may have mentioned before about the lack of musicians in your area which is always gonna be a hurdle.

My bands are both well spread out.

New guitarist in Glam band is 75 miles and 1:30hrs from me. Takes approx 1hr to 1:30hrs for us all to get to rehearsals in Glasgow. 

Cant remember how far you are form main towns etc.

I use FB, Join My Band, Bandmix, Gumtree to find other musicians altho both bands i'm currently in have been word of mouth thru friends.

Dave

Think I'm of a like mind to you on this Dave.

The Glam Band I'm in could probably do 3x the work we do but over time we've spent more time looking at better venues (not always the best paying) and reigning in the distance per gig as much as sensible.  In terms of cash, none of us are 'bread-heads' but with recent increase in expenses (especially fuel) we have had to start taking a pragmatic view on gig prices even if this is at the expense of the number of gigs.  Sadly for pubs there is generally an upper limit (which is why I guess we are doing more function/club work now) but if it's out of our normal area we sometimes end up pricing ourselves out of the market to keep to a sensible £/person after expenses.  

• Like 1