Why become a member? ×

Fender Jazz 1968 Sunburst - Original - *SOLD*
£5750
Leominster

molan

With a new Ritter incoming, I decided that one of my old Fenders had to go. As this is the only original finish one I have, I thought it deserved a new home with someone who would play and cherish it. 

It’s a truly lovely thing and in amazing condition for a ‘68 original finish. It’s been played but, I think, it’s been well looked after during its 55 year life!

Currently for sale at BassBross where people can visit, try and talk about PX deals etc. 

I don’t want to betray any trust with Will so it’s only available for sale direct with him. 

The description from BassBross is:

”This 1968 Fender Jazz Bass has all the looks and mojo you would expect!

Featuring blocks/binding, lollypop tuners, pickup covers, original hardcase. This really is a classic mid-late 60’s look!

Everything is original apart from the addition of the some extra screw holes that brings the bridge cover further forward, these can be seen in the photos.

This bass has had a life and has quite rightly been played extensively, there are plenty of dings and areas of wear to show this, we think this just adds to making this bass so classic.

Please get in touch for any more info/photos.

Serial number suggests early 68
Neck dated 7 Feb 68
Pots serial is 6631 = 1966
Pickups dated 3-8-68 = March 68

– Part Exchange Welcome –

SPEC

Serial Number – 218045
Year – 1968
Colour – Three Tone Sunburst
Body Finish – Gloss
Body Wood  – Alder
Neck Finish – Gloss
Neck Wood –  Maple
Fretboard – Rosewood
Frets – 20
Scale Length – 34’
Weight – 9lbs8oz/4.3kgs
Electronics – Passive
Pickups – Orignal Fender
Gigbag/Hardcase – Original Hardcase

Lots more pics here:

https://bassbros.co.uk/product/1968-fender-jazz-bass/E885B4B3-8808-4566-B858-BD180372F436.thumb.jpeg.b27e70212d15eca69b047ca07501dc7c.jpeg

Edited by molan
Sold
  • Like 15

As far as I know they were used on telecaster and jazz basses from late 65-1970 not inclusive 

4 minutes ago, Burns-bass said:

Lollipop tuners that late is interesting

1 hour ago, Bunion said:

As far as I know they were used on telecaster and jazz basses from late 65-1970 not inclusive 

Yes, I think that’s correct. My ‘65 J has lollipops and dots. Then the binding and blocks came in and stayed until early 70’s. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, molan said:

Yes, I think that’s correct. My ‘65 J has lollipops and dots. Then the binding and blocks came in and stayed until early 70’s. 

Nah, lollipops were late 65 to early 67. In no way am I suggesting an error in the listing, I’m just surprised they were used on a bass as late as 68. Looks wonderful. 

31 minutes ago, Burns-bass said:

Nah, lollipops were late 65 to early 67. In no way am I suggesting an error in the listing, I’m just surprised they were used on a bass as late as 68. Looks wonderful. 

I’ve seen lollipops on both a ‘69 and a ‘70. They were sold as original but I guess they could have been aftermarket swaps. 

I’ve certainly seen other 68’s with them. 

As it happens, some of the dated parts on this particular bass are as early as ‘66 but the most recently dated parts, the pickups, are Mar ‘68 from what I remember. The neck has a Feb ‘68 date stamp which probably means it was started in ‘67 and I think the serial number is often quoted as ‘67/‘68. 

Of course, Fender were famous for grabbing whatever parts they had lying around in the bin as part of final completion. This is particularly true of pots with a lot of later basses, right through to early/mid ‘70’s having ‘60’s dated pots in them. I think it was in ‘66 that they bought a huge number 

With all these variances kicking around there’s no really definitive guide to exactly when Fender used different parts, neck profiles, etc. 

In this case, with the pups being dated March ‘68 it seems fair to call it a ‘68, even though some parts are certainly earlier :)

Just for reference - here’s a ‘69 with lollipops. 

25747AF3-C9C5-42EB-90BB-E12F7D980D45.png.f01693261638905aede488043973c6aa.png

Edited by molan
Image added
  • Like 4

16 hours ago, molan said:

I’ve seen lollipops on both a ‘69 and a ‘70. They were sold as original but I guess they could have been aftermarket swaps. 

I’ve certainly seen other 68’s with them. 

As it happens, some of the dated parts on this particular bass are as early as ‘66 but the most recently dated parts, the pickups, are Mar ‘68 from what I remember. The neck has a Feb ‘68 date stamp which probably means it was started in ‘67 and I think the serial number is often quoted as ‘67/‘68. 

Of course, Fender were famous for grabbing whatever parts they had lying around in the bin as part of final completion. This is particularly true of pots with a lot of later basses, right through to early/mid ‘70’s having ‘60’s dated pots in them. I think it was in ‘66 that they bought a huge number 

With all these variances kicking around there’s no really definitive guide to exactly when Fender used different parts, neck profiles, etc. 

In this case, with the pups being dated March ‘68 it seems fair to call it a ‘68, even though some parts are certainly earlier :)

Just for reference - here’s a ‘69 with lollipops. 

25747AF3-C9C5-42EB-90BB-E12F7D980D45.png.f01693261638905aede488043973c6aa.png

Totally agree with Molan, plus around 68 was when the Fender execs started the real penny pinching stuff - my favourite being using up the old greens and yellow amplifier cloth wires on their instruments wiring. They just wanted all old or discontinued parts used up, and not to be ‘green’ I suppose…

Great looking bass btw 👍

Edited by Chiliwailer
  • Like 1

On 19/06/2022 at 07:29, Chiliwailer said:

Totally agree with Molan, plus around 68 was when the Fender execs started the real penny pinching stuff - my favourite being using up the old greens and yellow amplifier cloth wires on their instruments wiring. They just wanted all old or discontinued parts used up, and not to be ‘green’ I suppose…

Great looking bass btw 👍

I had a P bass that was something like 1976 that had 1966 pots in. For about 5 minutes I thought maybe my '76 was worth a lot more money - then I read all the stories about old parts being rescued from the spares bin 😆

• Like 3

If anyone is interested in this but might want to trade, then don't hesitate to contact Will at Bassbros.

He's a very fair PX guy (I know this because that's how I first met him when I PX'd a 70's P bass against a Fodera!).

He can also accept card payments - particularly handy if you have one of those 'interest free' long term deals that are kicking around at the moment!

2 hours ago, molan said:

If anyone is interested in this but might want to trade, then don't hesitate to contact Will at Bassbros.

He's a very fair PX guy (I know this because that's how I first met him when I PX'd a 70's P bass against a Fodera!).

He can also accept card payments - particularly handy if you have one of those 'interest free' long term deals that are kicking around at the moment!

Yes, I agree that Will is the man! Very polite and always reply to any questions. 👍

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
  • molan changed the title to Fender Jazz 1968 Sunburst - SOLD