Why become a member? ×

Fender Precision Mary Kaye - Reduced to £2,150 - *SOLD*
£2500
Leominster

molan

I bought this a few years back after falling in love with the look and the heritage. I’ve never seen another!

I did a lot of research before buying and there seems to be some evidence that these were genuinely made as test runs for the Fender Custom Shop. 

It’s certainly recorded that one of the very first P basses out of the CS was a ‘Mary Kaye’ model. From my experience as an ex-CS dealer, the build quality is certainly up there with the CS.

Unfortunately my wimpy left wrist, damaged a few years back in a motorcycle accident, means I really struggle with the classic P bass neck profile so I decided to sell it.  

It’s currently for sale at BassBross in Leominster. This gives people the opportunity to give it a try in the relaxed atmosphere at his showroom. 

It is only for sale via BassBross (which also allows for various purchase or trade options).

From Will’s text:

”This is a very rare bass indeed!

Rumour has it that these were early builds for the US Custom Shop. They made a limited run of Stratocasters, Telecasters, Jazz basses and Precisions. The P-basses and Telecaster 6 strings are generally believed to be the rarest.

Fender Custom Shop have recently revisited this model in bring out the 57 Mary Kaye Journeyman relic model.

But this one here is the original version!

This bass features the full size 13′ body width making it slightly chunkier than the modern day P basses.

There are a couple of marks on the side of the body and pickguard, other than that is is in outstanding condition for its age.

Serial Number – V034979
Year – 1987
Colour – Olympic White
Body Finish – Gloss
Body Wood  – Alder
Neck Finish – Gloss
Neck Wood –  Maple
Fretboard – Maple
Frets – 20
Scale Length – 34”
Weight – 9lbs8oz/4.3kgs
Electronics – Passive
Pickups – Orignal Fender
Gigbag/Hardcase – Hardcase

Lots of pics here:

https://bassbros.co.uk/product/1987-fender-mary-kaye-1957-reissue-precision-bass/

CAABFC29-4F17-4762-A62F-E6D03D415447.thumb.jpeg.236fe8ea9896ed835f8157c90289cb20.jpeg

Edited by molan
Price reduction
  • Like 14

If anyone is interested in this but might want to trade, then don't hesitate to contact Will at Bassbros.

He's a very fair PX guy (I know this because that's how I first met him when I PX'd something!).

He can also accept card payments - particularly handy if you have one of those 'interest free' long term deals that are kicking around at the moment!

45 minutes ago, molan said:

If anyone is interested in this but might want to trade, then don't hesitate to contact Will at Bassbros.

He's a very fair PX guy (I know this because that's how I first met him when I PX'd something!).

He can also accept card payments - particularly handy if you have one of those 'interest free' long term deals that are kicking around at the moment!

Is it classic nut width Barrie?

On 21/06/2022 at 17:24, hiram.k.hackenbacker said:

Is it classic nut width Barrie?

Yes, it’s a full on vintage replica. Certainly matches a lot of CS builds I’ve seen - just doesn’t have the logo 🤦‍♂️

Will definitely take offers from old mates :)

• Thanks 1

My ‘68J sold today so I can afford to move on price a bit for this one. 

Open to offers either directly here or through Will at BassBross. 

Sale will go through Will so that allows a few purchasing and PX options. 

• Like 2

• molan changed the title to Fender Precision Mary Kaye - Reduced to £2,150

Reduced to £2,150 - very good price for an instrument made to Fender Custom Shop build quality. 

Open to trade offers for anything that might be relatively easy to sell in the future - Fender J’s or P’s for USA or Japan, Stingrays etc. 

10DE51DD-004D-46BE-9583-AC313D38D9BC.jpeg

• Like 1

• molan changed the title to Fender Precision Mary Kaye - SOLD