Why become a member? ×

Bass Insurance Advice

bassmansam

I have all my instruments insured. I have saxes on one policy, the cellos and viols on another, and bass gear on a third. They're all with Allianz. New Moon gets good reviews as well. If you are a member of the MU they offer insurance as well. My insurance includes being locked in unattended vehicle. I only have my piano on the house insurance rather than its own.    

• Like 1

Itemised on my house insurance - Zurich - when at home. Not cheap, but with every item listed  and serial numbers recorded theres no argument about whats what if the worse happens. 

£2000 of free equipment cover from the MU when out the house gigging.

New Moon and Allianz are the big players. 

I find New Moon to be a bit cheaper.

I just covered (a scary amount) for about £140 to include theft from cars / venues etc.

Most house insurance policies won't cover theft from vehicles or venues so it's a no brainer for me.

• Like 1

Got all my studio and basses covered new for old in house insurance, what most people dont know is if you contact your insurer in my case it was halifax bank, they just asked me to list stuff i had, i give it to them and hay presto done and ... for some reason never cost an extra penny, great.

but for insurance when gigging i just use this 🙂 

bass.thumb.jpg.91dbc39b8a5cb6e5a0c97a014962bec4.jpg

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, funkgod said:

Got all my studio and basses covered new for old in house insurance

My house insurance covers mine in and away from the house for the value I specified. 
Cost me £15 a year more for listing them and well worth it especially out of the house too. 

5 minutes ago, Bunion said:

My house insurance covers mine in and away from the house for the value I specified. 
Cost me £15 a year more for listing them and well worth it especially out of the house too. 

out the house too ....thats a great deal, im going to look into that,

Edited by funkgod

6 minutes ago, funkgod said:

out the house too ....thats a great deal, im going to look into that,

I was surprised too that they offered that but I’m not complaining. 
Was through Lloyds bank apparently it’s called “cover away from home” 

Edited by Bunion

In my experience of insuring instruments and other high value items outside the home on a  household policy, there is usually a clause that excludes cover if the items are used for reward. For example gigs. This was pointed out to me when i tried to include my instruments on it. when i joined the MU, i took out instrument insurance through them. Remember insurance company will often try to find any way to avoid paying out if they can.

• Like 1

Which is exactly what our household & car insurance company told us - the one my wife works for, so they are unlikely to be making it up! Paid gigs (even if you make a loss when all the costs are added up) push it into a different category.

• Like 1