Why become a member? ×

The Taste for Tube Amps

Guest BassAdder27

6 hours ago, Downunderwonder said:

Look up comb filtering.

I did, and understand the concept. It seems that the most profound instances of comb filter effects are found using multiple cabs. I also understand that 4 speakers placed in the same cab also can show effects of comb filtering. My question regarded the specific effects unique to this cab.

52 minutes ago, dclaassen said:

I did, and understand the concept. It seems that the most profound instances of comb filter effects are found using multiple cabs. I also understand that 4 speakers placed in the same cab also can show effects of comb filtering. My question regarded the specific effects unique to this cab

Not unique but a 4x of 12's beams worse than a set of 10's which are bad enough themselves that the exact same comment would have been made.

54 minutes ago, Downunderwonder said:

Not unique but a 4x of 12's beams worse than a set of 10's which are bad enough themselves that the exact same comment would have been made.

Okay, thanks….wondering then why so many of us use 4x10 or 4x12 cabs…I’ve always used a single 15, or, at one point, an 18. 

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, dclaassen said:

Okay, thanks….wondering then why so many of us use 4x10 or 4x12 cabs…I’ve always used a single 15, or, at one point, an 18. 

Originally 4x cabs solved the relative lack of volume of single 15 boxes of similar size. Tradition set in.

Tradtions die hard but these days it's difficult to even give away 410 cabs in the US.

12 hours ago, Downunderwonder said:

Originally 4x cabs solved the relative lack of volume of single 15 boxes of similar size. Tradition set in.

Tradtions die hard but these days it's difficult to even give away 410 cabs in the US.

I really appreciate your response. Back in the 70’s - 90’s, it seemed that everyone was using 1,2 or4 15 cabs. Most I knew used single 15’s. Then the trand moved to multiple smaller speaker cabs, which it seems lots of folks still use. I would love to compare single vs multi speaker cabs in gigging situations..

3 hours ago, dclaassen said:

I really appreciate your response. Back in the 70’s - 90’s, it seemed that everyone was using 1,2 or4 15 cabs. Most I knew used single 15’s. Then the trand moved to multiple smaller speaker cabs, which it seems lots of folks still use. I would love to compare single vs multi speaker cabs in gigging situations..

Been there done that and been partially deafened while still not hearing myself properly, although my calves heard very well.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 14/07/2022 at 07:11, dclaassen said:

I just find that I prefer the sound of multiple speaker cones all going at once, as opposed to one. Not for the volume but for the sound/feel.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Lozz196 said:

I just find that I prefer the sound of multiple speaker cones all going at once, as opposed to one. Not for the volume but for the sound/feel.

Me too. Here's my 410. No comb filtering issues that I'm aware of and is in two cabs for improved portability. 

20220715_204848.thumb.jpg.a6f5773bbb2bf9d449031e60751f8c47.jpg

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

I recently sold a CTM-100, while it was a great sounding amp, it was a bit unwieldly and I usually ended up just bringing my Ashdown Spyder 500 to gigs and rehearsal. It had enough "tubey goodness" for me and I had the advantage of a decent SS back end offering 550W of power. I still have a little bastard which Im happy to have as a small home amp, because valve amps do sound great. 

I actually bought a Trace Elliott Elf rig with the proceeds, which that may seem like an anathema to folks here, I'm getting a lot more use out of it thank the CTM100. 

Edited by Quilly

I would try the CTM100 but after trying the Ampeg V4 I don’t think 100w is loud enough for me 

Ideally I need a good 200w clean tube sound 

The CTM300 is a crazy high price so that’s not going to happen either ! 
A full tube amp is a wonderful thing but you really have to love it as they are so heavy and need regular servicing etc 

Edited by BassAdder27