Why become a member? ×

The Taste for Tube Amps

Guest BassAdder27

Having recently purchased the Ampeg V4B I’m really liking the valve tone for my band rock stuff and appreciate how great they sound. 

Trouble is once you get a taste of all tube amps it’s hard to enjoy other non tube amps.

My current dilemma is the V4B and SVT212AV cab is for small gigs 

The Ashdown ABM600 rig for medium to large gigs 

My Orange LBT is purely backup but I have plans to sell it. 

Is it the SVT CL tempting me away from the Ashdown ABM600 or is that just crazy as although 300w is great OMG it’s 80lbs in weight !!

I love the V4B so maybe PA support is the answer for larger gigs ? 
Naturally I have limits to what cabs I can load into the car so no plans to add more cabs 

Edited by BassAdder27

Wow 80 pounds sounded expensive until i spoke to my fiend Boris, Apparently we used pounds for weight too, up until 50 years ago. However and now being serious (something my fiend Boris struggles with) 36.4Kg is 10 Kg over the guidelines for safe manual lifting. In my old industry that was called transportable rather than portable.

On a serious note, would you not get the same or similar tone with a decent pre-amp,  Say a Sansamp?

1 minute ago, Chienmortbb said:

Wow 80 pounds sounded expensive until i spoke to my fiend Boris, Apparently we used pounds for weight too, up until 50 years ago. However and now being serious (something my fiend Boris struggles with) 36.4Kg is 10 Kg over the guidelines for safe manual lifting. In my old industry that was called transportable rather than portable.

On a serious note, would you not get the same or similar tone with a decent pre-amp,  Say a Sansamp?

I’ve tried and there really is no substitute for a tube / valve amp at full tilt !! 

19 minutes ago, BassAdder27 said:

Is it the SVT CL tempting me away from the Ashdown ABM600 or is that just crazy as although 300w is great OMG it’s 80lbs in weight !!

I played through one in a studio I was recording at.

I tried to pick it up from on top of the 410 cab it was on......

I couldn't.

I therefore assumed it was screwed to the top of the 410.....

it wasn't.

They are VERY heavy.

• Haha 1

The V4B/SVT212 is fine in big gigs with PA support. The bassist in a punk band I know quite well, Razors, has this set up and she never struggles for volume. She’s a traditionalist, has to play Fender Precision & Ampeg.

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, Lozz196 said:

The V4B/SVT212 is fine in big gigs with PA support. The bassist in a punk band I know quite well, Razors, has this set up and she never struggles for volume. She’s a traditionalist, has to play Fender Precision & Ampeg.

That’s handy to know 👍

Maybe that’s the more sensible route 

For me I left full tube amps behind in the early eighties. Even the 150W beast I built was insufficient to give me the clean bass at volume that I desired. I swapped from the beast to  200W per channel stereo power amp, again home grown, and finally I was happy. My current rig is a 2KW capable stereo Class D power amp driven by a tube pre-amp I designed for that purpose.

That said I do love the tone my Sixties Ampeg B15NF gives me. :)😍

• Like 1

21 hours ago, Chienmortbb said:

21 hours ago, BassAdder27 said:

I’ve tried and there really is no substitute for a tube / valve amp at full tilt !! 

Have to agree on this. I've tried (repeatedly) to get various Sansamp units to produce a genuine all-valve sound/tone without the baggage that comes with real tubes and I've never got anywhere close. Makes very little difference whether you use the pedal or the rackmount - what you get is the Sansamp sound and that's not the same as an all-tube amp.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Happy Jack said:

Have to agree on this. I've tried (repeatedly) to get various Sansamp units to produce a genuine all-valve sound/tone without the baggage that comes with real tubes and I've never got anywhere close. Makes very little difference whether you use the pedal or the rackmount - what you get is the Sansamp sound and that's not the same as an all-tube amp.

Yep, the nearest I got was how our producer advised, get an amp that sounds tubey-ish (in my case an Aguilar Tonehammer at the time) set your sound as usual then add in the Sansamp with everything at midday. Quite a few people asked me if our recording was done on an SVT.

But other than that I think the same, it’s more the Sansamp sound than anything. 

11 hours ago, Reggaebass said:

This is true, I’ve been round in circles a few times but the past few years I’ve got quite an obsession with fan noise, unless the amp has no fan or is very quiet I’ll be sticking with tubes/valves 

My big tube amp has a fan. No way to hear it when it's on stage doing its thing.

• Like 1

I’ve been on a quest recently to find a small-footprint ~100W valve amp. Along the lines of Handbox, there’s also Rheingold and PureTone (both in the super boutique several£k price range) or HotAmps which come in a bit lower.

In the end though, the last two gigs I did with my Class D Glockenklang reminded me quite how special that thing is. I can make it sound gnarly with the (very nicely voiced) built-in drive or make it super clean and crisp, plus of course anything and everything in between. It will go louder and stay cleaner far longer than a valve amp when I need it, or can break up and give me all the warmth.

In the onstage mix I think I’d be very hard pushed to tell the difference, though I’d love to be proven wrong on that just to cause my bank balance some serious trouble (the PureTone Offset XL is whispering sweet nothings at me…)

So, I guess my point is there are solutions out there. Another consideration would be a valve preamp pedal - EBS Valve Drive, Ashdown OriginAL, Markbass Vintage etc. in the grand scheme of things they aren’t the same of course but as @BassmanPaul attests you can get close.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Tough decision but I’ve decided to put my recently purchased Ampeg V4B up for sale on here.

They really are great amps but I wasn’t using my ABM600 and it seemed a wasted purchase that wouldn’t get much use. 

So it’s back for sale on here and I must say it was bloody lovely using a valve amp again ! 

On 18/06/2022 at 10:55, Reggaebass said:

This is true, I’ve been round in circles a few times but the past few years I’ve got quite an obsession with fan noise, unless the amp has no fan or is very quiet I’ll be sticking with tubes/valves 

Don't buy the Mesa Prodigy type stuff then.

I had a 4:88 and it had the noisiest fan of any amp I've ever used. (Even more than the ABM).

It was actually embarrassing that a valve amp had been built that way. For an extra few pennies a silent fan could have been used.

Such a shame. Was a great sounding amp, but it had to go.

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Reggaebass said:

That’s good to know, thanks, it’s probably just me but I find the noise pretty distracting 

Nah - me too.

It's why I don't own an ABM even though I love the tone from them. It's also why I'm actually considering the Evo5 at it's stupid price if the fans are actually really quiet / silent at low volumes.

My RM800 is as near as silent as any fan amp I've ever had - that gets used in the house and at gigs. My Mark Bass is a bit louder, but no louder than a PC but I tend to use that at gigs rather than at home because if I'm just sitting and playing then I really don't want any fan noise at all.

In almost all cases there could be better temp control systems, or better venting in the amp so if an amp needs fans then they can run far slower for the same cooling. It really is poor design at this point, and it's a real shame.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, fretmeister said:

It's why I don't own an ABM even though I love the tone from them

Yeah, same as me,

my RM500 is barely noticeable and Dave green offered to fit a manual switch on the fan if it bothered me , but it’s fine