Why become a member? ×

FS: Yamaha SLB-100 electric upright/stand/KrivoPUP/gig-bag - *SOLD*
£1500
CANTERBURY

Thinking of moving to the SLB-300 for a few reasons but mostly for portability; despite being a whole lot easier than my 4/4, this baby can still take some moving around. Krivo mag PUP adds a new dimension to the tone, especially when blended with the onboard pre-amp. No trades thanks, collection from Canterbury ideal but may be tempted into the car or onto the train with it.

For those of you who like an EUB to feel like an upright, this is the EUB you've been looking for. As an instrument to play it feels the part more than any other EUB I've played, and I've probably played most of the main contenders at one time or another. Close your eyes and use headphones and the feel and sound are as close as you'll get (I tend to rehearse it unplugged acoustically as it's fine as long as there's no background noise). Speaking length is just under 42 inches/106 cms and it's a D neck. Sound-wise it's taken me a long time to get the tone I want from it. In fact, having worked through various wing, underfoot and fingerboard PUPs, I've found that the tone on which I get the most compliments from both my bandmates and audiences is the at first hearing rather thin sounding and mid-heavy tone from the onboard circuit, which despite not sounding great solo'd seems to work really well with a band (also very well with headphones which is what the bass was originally developed for of course). The smaller the overall sound of the band the more I blend in the Krivo which adds some weight to the tone especially to the lows.

It's Yamaha. It is the most stunningly engineered instrument, you get the sense that it would take a seismic event to damage it, and although there are a few dents here and there, the bits that matter, the board, bridge, tailpiece and tuners are all in perfect functional and aesthetic condition. 

I'm not sure I'm going the prefer the SLB-300 but I'm pretty sure I'm going to find it easier to carry to gigs and rehearsals. The only down side of the 100 is that it is very heavy - way heavier than my 4/4 in fact, and very long. There's a very big part of me would like to keep it and also buy the 300, take the 300 out with me and keep the 100 for silent practice at home. But that part of me also hasn't got as much money as it would like to think it has so is probably going to be disappointed 🤔 

Strangely enough, despite being the oldest of the SLB series this is still far far the most expensive and will take close to £5,000 out of your bank account if you could find one for sale https://www.yamahamusiclondon.com/SLB-100-Silent-Upright-Bass/pidKSLB100. This is perhaps a reflection of the fact that in the context of it's original application - a silent headphone oriented rehearsal instrument for professional musicians as opposed to a gigging instrument - it really does tick all the boxes in a way that the more recent Yamaha models, developed with an eye to gigging, perhaps don't.   

image.thumb.png.3a1016a0414c40b73cfe4d8a4e7229ec.png

Edited by Beedster
  • Like 4

• 2 weeks later...
12 hours ago, oldslapper said:

Don’t let that fool you 😂 Chris has ways of getting about 

Funnily enough I do have to drive down to Swansea sometime this month/next month......

• Haha 1

As I just told a potential buyer via PM, I'm happy to do this on a reasonable 'return it for a full refund if you don't like it' basis, in part because I recognise that if you haven't played one before it's a bit of a punt, in part because I'm a bit all over the place at present so might not be easy to host tryouts, but perhaps mostly because while I should sell it if I'm going to get a SLB-300 - because no sane human being needs two Yamaha EUBs after all - I wouldn't be unduly stressed if I did have both 🤔

Edited by Beedster

• Beedster changed the title to FS: Yamaha SLB-100 electric upright/stand/KrivoPUP/gig-bag **SOLD**