Why become a member? ×

Triumphant Return to Ampeg?

MyNameIsMark

Hi folks,

I'm in my next want-not-need phase, I will lock things down & try before I buy.

After years of an underpowered Ampeg B2RE & lusting after Ashdown, I got into ABMs. For a short time it was heaven.

Now, different styles & tastes, I'm lusting after Ampeg. I want a quieter vintage thing on one hand, and a full bore grindy scoop on the other.

I actually think SansAmp & poweramp might be the magic, but to entertain authenticity I'd appreciate your branded experiences...

(I use a Barefaced SuperCompact or One10 right now, but tempted by lovely Eminence drivers & a tweeter again)

As I've mastered the one-trip load-in, "fridge heads" are right out.

SVT3 hybrid looks like a perfect package, but expect I'll wish it went to 11.

SVT4 is overkill & a bit of a behemoth, but I expect does it all and more.

SVT7 & PF-500/800 - great lightweight class D packages, but *still* seem to be tainted with overheating/cutting out issues all these years on?

PF-50T - I have no reference for valve power sections, are we into "very loud, no clean headroom" here?

Thanks! Mark

Why not look at the Ampeg SCR-DI? It’s a great bit of kit and delivers Ampeggy goodness into whatever rig you already have. For the grind you just add in the scrambler section. I really like these pedals, it’s just instant Ampeg in a small box - ideal if your amp is quite clean when set flat.

SVT3 is a nice sounding amp, but quite heavy & due to size a bit awkward to cart about too so would get in the way of the one-trip load-in. I couldn’t get any kind of grind from it though.

PFs are nice sounding for cleans but could never get that lovely grind from them either.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Hmmm 2 votes & I already have the Quilter...!

1 hour ago, BassAdder27 said:

Go for the V4 B plus SVT212AV cab 

Great rig and if you need more volume add a second SVT212AV 

But .. I noticed you want light so 

Ampeg SCR-DI with Quilter 800 head 👍

Quick update...

Typical me, I got back from my jollies with a shiny new Ampeg SCR waiting for me. I love it!

P bass with flats + SCR w/ ultra lo + a flat ABM600 + Barefaced SuperCompact is something special.

All other bass/amp/cab/EQ combinations are in the same ballpark.

Thanks all!

• Like 4