Why become a member? ×

A Harley Benton Bitsa Relic

stewblack

Long term project, no rush, make the odd dent or scrape every now and again.

It is a PB50-SB body I acquired unexpectedly. A HB jazz neck I always liked but found the body too heavy. Didn't like the remodel on the headstock done by previous owner. So I hacked the headstock even further, bunged the neck on, and voila! It was unplayable. I've heard talk of shimming, never been much of a shimmer myself, but in for a penny. So I shimmed. Can't recall what I used but when I threw it all back together it was perfect. Literally. Action, intonation, all of it. The gear gods were smiling down on me. Oh, it even sounded good.

But the body was pristine. Spotless and shiny. I didn't want it that way. Never relic'd anything before so I was a little nervous as I raised the lump hammer for the first time, but it produced a very satisfying and above all believable dent. Once that was out of the way I felt happier proceeding.

Anyway, here's the first pic. Headstock.

228386367_P1090221(2).thumb.JPG.71a661f9f0fbb098b89977b58a5344a2.JPG

Having already been altered I had little to play with, hence the shape isn't perfect. It was also too clean by a long way so once I'd applied and torn a fake decal I used a match and then a soldering iron. I also recommend a mismatched set of strings for that much used look.

More pics to follow.

• Like 4

3 minutes ago, stewblack said:

Erm. Thank you?

(Who is MDP please?)

He's a guy who modifies guitars and sells them on eBay. There are a few threads about him, look for seven string guitar conversions for sausage fingers.

Threads about him get locked because the mocking turns personal so he just appears occasionally these days.